• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Live at Anime Expo 2012

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Bringing up the "voice actors losing work" topic, how do they feel about anime fans being perfectly fine with sub-only releases? You certainly can't force someone to like or even want a dub, even more so when they can actually see that labor reflected in the cost of their purchase.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Divineking wrote:
Got a good laugh from the 4Kids guy. I do agree with Zac and Justin that it;s about time people got over their One Piece dub. Do also agree it;s pretty bad to make fun of people losing their jobs, especially the voice actors because with Media Blasters also being pretty much dead their out of work and it's a shame since many of them are pretty good when not doing a 4Kids dub.

They ruined more than One Piece, you know. Not everyone who hates 4Kids is a One Piece fanboy. Ojamajo Doremi fanboys, Tokyo Mew Mew fanboys, Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters fanboys, Pocket Monsters fanboys, Shaman King fanboys, etc. They were hated long before they licensed One Piece.

Ehh I;m not that ignorant you know. I just pointed out One Piece because it was the one mentioned in the podcast. In general though I find it ridiculous the extent to which some of these fans get their panties in a knot whenever the name 4Kids is even uttered but it's not like I don't get why.

Still like I said before the company aside it;s a shame those VA's are out of work now, and the fact that some people seem happy about that bothers me.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Divineking wrote:
Got a good laugh from the 4Kids guy. I do agree with Zac and Justin that it;s about time people got over their One Piece dub. Do also agree it;s pretty bad to make fun of people losing their jobs, especially the voice actors because with Media Blasters also being pretty much dead their out of work and it's a shame since many of them are pretty good when not doing a 4Kids dub.

They ruined more than One Piece, you know. Not everyone who hates 4Kids is a One Piece fanboy. Ojamajo Doremi fanboys, Tokyo Mew Mew fanboys, Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters fanboys, Pocket Monsters fanboys, Shaman King fanboys, etc. They were hated long before they licensed One Piece.

Ehh I;m not that ignorant you know. I just pointed out One Piece because it was the one mentioned in the podcast. In general though I find it ridiculous the extent to which some of these fans get their panties in a knot whenever the name 4Kids is even uttered but it's not like I don't get why.

Still like I said before the company aside it;s a shame those VA's are out of work now, and the fact that some people seem happy about that bothers me.

People are self-centered a-holes or from my personal experiences with fans I have interacted with. I'll admit to being on the 4kids hate bandwagon for few years back in 2002-2005 then I just grew up. Hell 4kids actually did a good thing by getting younger kids interested in anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SoandSo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Twelve Kingdoms/Emma director is Tsuneo Kobayashi. He is working on Polar Bear Cafe currently, which I think is pretty good.

THAT'S the guy. Why the hell was I thinking of a Kunihiko? Was I mixing him up with Kunihiko Yuyama?

Regardless, definitely a senior moment over here... Neutral

You were probably thinking of Ryo Kunihiko, who composed for both of those series.

And the new Lupin's director is a woman with one other directing credit to her name; Sayo Yamamoto.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
So I'm just a recent convert to the podcast, but I love it. I usually put it on while cross-stitching. Disappointed I couldn't be there live to win some coasters. I'll be looking forward to listening to some hard-pressed interviews now that I know your guys' take on them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The1985Filmation
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Zac, your purchasing of unwanted anime at AX is akin to buying an exotic animal from a poacher in order to set it free. You are creating a perceived demand. Just you think about that. =0p No im just kidding.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Bringing up the "voice actors losing work" topic, how do they feel about anime fans being perfectly fine with sub-only releases? You certainly can't force someone to like or even want a dub, even more so when they can actually see that labor reflected in the cost of their purchase.

There are quite a few people who aren't ok with sub only releases.. The fact that there are so many people who are really adamant about both sub and dub is such a big thing that it's practically gotten old to even talk about how old the sub/dub argument has gotten.

In so many words, as far as I know, dub demand is pretty high. Is it not?
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
BobbieUsurp wrote:
Zac, your purchasing of unwanted anime at AX is akin to buying an exotic animal from a poacher in order to set it free. You are creating a perceived demand. Just you think about that. =0p No im just kidding.

As someone living in a region where it's difficult to get legal anime and who really wants to watch Dirty Pair, hearing all the Dirty Pair given away makes me hurt a little inside. Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
In so many words, as far as I know, dub demand is pretty high. Is it not?

I suppose it is, but sub only DVDs also sell. If that type of release was so violently opposed to, sales would have shown the only correct path was to keep dubbing. With streaming of brand new shows growing, how will this all continue to shift and change in the future, with more fans being exposed to Japanese audio tracks first?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
There's still fans, like me, who are more moderate: We'll watch subbed first and watch dubbed later.

I mean, not everyone lies clearly at one side or the other.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Being a fanboy is a good thing?

I sure hope you're a fan of the stuff you watch. That's where the word comes from; fanatic.

SoandSo wrote:
And fanboys of those shows have been hated even longer and to this day for exactly this reason. It's been years. They localized stupid kids shows in a way to appeal to kids. Get over yourself, stop celebrating people being laid off and get off your stupid cross, already.

What makes you say they're hated aside from your own feelings? Though given your 'stupid kid shows' comment, I suppose you're not the most unbias person to ask on this subject. Especially since quite a few of those series are huge cultural icons in Japan and footnotes in their industry. Seems only an ignorant person would dismiss such important iconic series.

And you need to stop pulling the 'laid off' card. Businesses who do poor practices close down, it's simple economics. Not every business deserves to stay afloat; that would destroy the market.

It's almost as bad as the 'they introduced me/people to anime' excuse. That one implies that if an actual proper company got those titles and released them they wouldn't be just as big or important.
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Question on the whole "no BDs" thing: how difficult would it be for Kadokawa or these other companies to make deals with retailers to not ship their titles to Japan? Is Aniplex USA only able to do this with some of their titles because they only sell through Rightstuf?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
There's still fans, like me, who are more moderate: We'll watch subbed first and watch dubbed later.

I mean, not everyone lies clearly at one side or the other.

But will you buy twice? Will you buy a subbed DVD and then buy a dubbed DVD, or just stick with whatever's available first?

DRWii wrote:
Question on the whole "no BDs" thing: how difficult would it be for Kadokawa or these other companies to make deals with retailers to not ship their titles to Japan? Is Aniplex USA only able to do this with some of their titles because they only sell through Rightstuf?

That's not going to stop resellers. I could buy "X" BD anime for far less than MSRP, charge the full MSRP to a potential Japanese buyer, and they'd still be getting such a kickin' discount that's not even conceivable in Japan. Where money can be made, people will go. The only way to curtail that would be to charge full Japanese prices on everything here, which would effectively kill the western fandom aside from the rich and the adamant. It will "work" on some releases like Fate/Zero and Unicorn, but it cannot be for every single ever big name.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
And you need to stop pulling the 'laid off' card. Businesses who do poor practices close down, it's simple economics. Not every business deserves to stay afloat; that would destroy the market.

Zac and Justin's point with what they said, had nothing to do with economics or balance of the market. They're probably aware of all of that anyway, but that's not their freaking point. They cared more about people who they probably knew from at least several years back that are really into what they do not getting work. It's about having sympathy, pure and simple. I don't care how much you love or know people who love the shows you do that have been tampered by 4Kids somehow and are trying to preserve the hardcore fandom like you're somehow making the world a better place. Unless whatever it is you or other fanboys of Pokemon or Yugioh are doing involves ending world hunger, spare us all the debates and bulls***!

Last edited by Hypeathon on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
SoandSo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
Being a fanboy is a good thing?

I sure hope you're a fan of the stuff you watch. That's where the word comes from; fanatic.

SoandSo wrote:
And fanboys of those shows have been hated even longer and to this day for exactly this reason. It's been years. They localized stupid kids shows in a way to appeal to kids. Get over yourself, stop celebrating people being laid off and get off your stupid cross, already.

Woe be the fool who dares turn up their nose at the likes of cultural footnotes like Tokyo Mew Mew and Yu-Gi-Oh. Something tells me they could have McGlynn localizing them and they still would turn out less than Shakespeare. They're kids shows and were dubbed as such. Get over it.

As for why fans are hated, I dunno. "Dubs ruin the purity of the Japanese language." "I have every right to consume free entertainment and the onus is on the publisher to provide it to me faster and cheaper." "Western animation is all stupid kid stuff. *goes to watch Pokemon and Naruto and complain about the lack of rigid fidelity in the dub" "Anyone who doesn't enjoy everything from Japan isn't a true fan." The exact sentiment that started this argument. All of which has proven fertile ground for dismissive mockery for years, and rightfully so.

I'll stop pointing out the simple fact that good people are losing their livelihoods when fanboys like you realize that cheering such on for such meaningless horseshit as "the good of anime" makes you look like petty, pathetic clods.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8