• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Blood-C Film, more Ikki Tousen, Michiko & Hatchin

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote
So Funimation acquired the licensing rights to another boob show and a little girl with a gun show hardly appealing considering fan service is massive waste of time for me but I've always been curious about Blood C the anime has moments of beautifully fluid animation during battle scenes and if it receives a solid English dub then it may be something that I can enjoy in the same vein has Birdy the Mighty Decode or Corpse Princess which both have excellent dubs and personally I find them to be a far better choice for Toonami then Deadman Wonderland.I'm pretty sure Funimation will get the licensing rights to The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki sometime this year its a no-brainer really.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Remember, Funimation is a business, and they seek to make money in every license. In that perspective:

Blood-C : Good move, it's an established franchise and it's CLAMP, and so there is already a built in fanbase.

Ikkitousen: Again, an established franchise and a popular one, with plenty of T&A. I'm not going to call it a cash cow, but it will be profitable

Michiko & Hatchin: I was unimpressed with this title, but has topped a lot of peoples most desired lists, so I bet it will recoup it's expenses. Although I am some what concerned over a dub. I am imagining the most atrocious Spanish accents possible. (And I'm pretty sure this was set in Brazil, so they should be Portuguese accents anyway)

Appleseed XIII : Another franchise, but everything I've heard about this title has been bad, and the ratings on AniDB are really low. (1.96/5.11 splits with only 84 votes!) A misstep, given that this probably wasn't cheap.

Hidan no Aria: Apparently, Funi needs a tax write-off or something, because there is no way this will make money. First, the show is really bad. So bad that most collectors won't even look at it. And there is not enough T&A to appeal to that crowd either. The splits on AniDB are 3.29/6.40 with 1231 votes, so people watched it, but not many liked it. Do you really think that in a year and a half from now that people will be lining up to purchase this? By then, the only people that liked it will have already forgotten about it.

Jormungand: It's got a Black Lagoon vibe to it, and there is plenty of action and guns. And the manga is published stateside, so it's got that going for it. Probably turn a profit.

Eureka Seven Ao: Another franchise, and a rather popular show, as far as anime goes. Good move.

So I would guess three shows that will turn a profit, two that will break even, one that will lose money, and one that, if there was a god, would be buried in a landfill next to all those copies of the E.T. Atari game. Overall, not to shabby.

Personally, I'll might buy Blood-C and Jormungand, but nothing else on that list.

Sadly bad anime sticks around with me so aria is on the list to buy because of my standard/moral obligation of downloading fan-subs for the series and fully watching it. This might sound stupid but I did watch the show all the way through including the ova so I have to show my support with a kick back for them.

@TheAncientOne
On rail-gun it's matter of getting the material to sub and upload. You just gotta trust me on this one, but for those who are interested why does this hyper-link exist?
[url]
http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q496/cecilthedarkknight_234/Capture-1.jpg[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Hidan no Aria: Apparently, Funi needs a tax write-off or something, because there is no way this will make money. First, the show is really bad. So bad that most collectors won't even look at it. And there is not enough T&A to appeal to that crowd either. The splits on AniDB are 3.29/6.40 with 1231 votes, so people watched it, but not many liked it. Do you really think that in a year and a half from now that people will be lining up to purchase this? By then, the only people that liked it will have already forgotten about it.

No, it rates a "buy" from me. I thought it was a quirky action comedy based on the notion of "nature" versus "nurture" or rather "what kind of nuts are in your family tree?" And I'd be buying it not for Aria but for that other girl.

It's much better than Sentai's similar offerings like Dreameater Merry or the World God Only Knows.

Michiko and Hatchin? Never heard of it. From the Encyclopedia:

"Hatchin is a girl raised by strict foster parents who has long given up her dreams of freedom. Michiko is a sexy criminal who escapes from a supposedly inescapable prison. When she suddenly enters Hana's life, these two very different women set off on a journey across a lawless land in search of a missing man from both their pasts."

As this is not Bee Train, what's the point? El Cazador is getting a SAVE set, that must be it...

Blood +. No, Blood C. Don't know, I didn't care that much for either Blood + or Blood the Last Vampire so furthering the continuing noncanon adventures of a vampire in a sailor suit {Yes, I think that's the only point of this series} is...

I still don't know. Pointless? Style over bloody substance? I liked Shiki and I'll get it when it gets a full set release. Blood C? I'll watch it, maybe.

Ikki Tousen. I liked the first season but I didn't understand the second season; Maybe someone should have told the director/writers that metaphors are better off not being taken literally. Bottom line is Koihime Muso is more entertaining for me but this series is being dubbed {Carrie Savage was fantastic in season 1, oh yes} so it's a flat out draw.

Appleseed XIII. I could never get into the movie as the animation style kind of bothered me out {abstract animation I'm fine with but bad CGI? Forget it...} but it's not something to get excited over. I've seen plenty of Technoir anime and this is just another one.

Jormungand is ok but Koko is amazing. Such a character design, such a character. The series really needed an actual cast to make better use of playing off of her so a dub could really save it.

Eureka 7 AO? I never saw Eureka 7 so I don't see how I could watch the sequel series. And 50 episodes is a major investment for a {soon to be OOP} blind buy.

I don't get excited over simulcasts so there's what here for me? A definite buy in Aria {C^3 would be better still...} and a probable buy for Jormungand. But it's not exciting, it's just there.

Things to get excited over {for me}:

Future Diary.
Is This a Zombie?
C^3 {Why yes, I love horror comedies, how could you tell?}
When They...

Yeah, ok. Not happening.
Continuing>

Haganai.
Nichijou {I don't care what the ignorant masses think, this show was brilliant.}
Mayoi Neko Overrun and Ladies Versus Butlers. Somebody has to license them eventually and I'd rather have it be a company that'll dub them.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

Hidan no Aria will sell. Its Action + Fanservice... these shows always do well over here. User reviews mean nothing, since Seikirei and Queens Blade were big sellers over here yet their review scores were junk.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon, I have to wonder why you didn't include the anidb stats for Blood-C like you did for the other shows that are poorly rated there. A 5.78 average rating can't be considered all that good.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Jiminy cricket! I disappear for a day or two to move and came back to this!

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I'm thrilled that Michiko e Hatchin has been licensed. I've been wanting to see that for a long while here and I've been impressed by Sayo Yamamoto's flair on Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. Thank you muchlike, FUNImation. (I'm disappointed that they didn't announce that they'd gotten 'additional rights' for the aforementioned Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, but I'm not surprised)

I'm ambivalent about Jormungand. If the second season improves over the first by a little, I might be inclined to buy it.

I like Masamune Shirow and Appleseed, but I've barely heard anything about Appleseed XIII, and what little hasn't be very promising. Why can't this franchise get a proper animated adaptation?

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

How does the release date change my disappointment with how they are handling it? I'm well aware that of the release date. I was even considering preordering it. However, I am extremely disappointed with their decision to recast the show and dub it in house. I really enjoyed the Shana dub, and in fact, I enjoy it more than any of the recent dubs that Funi has put out.

Dub consistency isn't important to some people. It is to me however. I will still likely pick it up at some point, but now I will probably be waiting for a cheaper release.

Your original post did not make it clear why you were disappointed in it.

Considering they will end up with 2 seasons to dub (3, if they are re-dubbing the original series), then I can understand why they chose to dub it in house. Farming a series out when you already have in-house facilities to handle it costs extra money. Unless a business has good reason to think that not doing so will lose them more money than it costs, they aren't likely to do so.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite pleased with these acquisitions. Namely looking forward to Ikki Tousen and Blood-C, but I'll also likely give Michiko a peek
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, I am addicted to Rie Kugimiya, so I will be buying Aria the Scarlet Ammo in whatever format it appears in.

The anime wasn't bad, although it does give the strong impression alot of material was lost in the adaptation from light novel to anime. What do you expect with only 13 episodes?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
What else is there besides PreCure and Nanoha these days?

I love Precure and would be overjoyed to see it licensed. As for other relatively recent magical girl anime, there's Shugo Chara, Umi Monogatari, Sugar Sugar Rune, Fairy Musketeers, Nanatsuiro Drops, Animal Detectives Kiriminzoo, LilPri, Pretty Rhythm, and Jewelpet. I'd definitely buy all but the last two, which I might buy.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Michiko and Hatchin? Never heard of it.
As this is not Bee Train, what's the point? El Cazador is getting a SAVE set, that must be it...

HA. HA. HA HA. The point is that it isn't Bee Train, meaning that it's got more style and flair than Noir, Madlax, and El Cazador de la Bruja combined.

It's about time we got Michiko and Hatchin, and I can't wait to buy it. I just might get the Blood-C stuff, since my little brother loved the gore of the TV series and I'm somewhat interested in the movie. I'll get into AO once I get to buying the rest of Eureka Seven...
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
lheiskell wrote:
We have a lot more announcements saved up for Otakon so I hope the reception won't be this tepid to some of the elitists.

Is that going to be the anticipated five year old (2007) show? There's very few titles remaining that fans would still go crazy for. Definitely wasn't Bokurano, despite being another GONZO title.

The "five year" license was Michiko & Hatchin. Lance admitted this on Twitter.

Michiko To Hatchin came out in 2008 not 2007.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
lheiskell wrote:
We have a lot more announcements saved up for Otakon so I hope the reception won't be this tepid to some of the elitists.

Is that going to be the anticipated five year old (2007) show? There's very few titles remaining that fans would still go crazy for. Definitely wasn't Bokurano, despite being another GONZO title.

The "five year" license was Michiko & Hatchin. Lance admitted this on Twitter.

Michiko To Hatchin came out in 2008 not 2007.

The Funi rep already said earlier in the topic that Michiko to Hatchin was the five year license.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Otaku35 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

One again, Funi disappoints with their AX announcements. I guess that may be for the best considering how badly they've disappointed me with the shows of theirs I have wanted over the past year, most recently Shana. So maybe it's for the best.

Shakugan no Shana II is set for release on September 25, 2012, preceded by the original series on August 21, 2012:
http://www.funimation.com/rojas/blog/coming-soon-to-blu-ray-and-dvd/706721

How does the release date change my disappointment with how they are handling it? I'm well aware that of the release date. I was even considering preordering it. However, I am extremely disappointed with their decision to recast the show and dub it in house. I really enjoyed the Shana dub, and in fact, I enjoy it more than any of the recent dubs that Funi has put out.

Dub consistency isn't important to some people. It is to me however. I will still likely pick it up at some point, but now I will probably be waiting for a cheaper release.

I was just wondering, where did you hear this at?

It was during their Sneak Peak panel on Friday.

http://bayoab.info/live/live2.php?panel=64.7f14fcd0

Quote:
13:32:57 <bay> Next up...
13:33:00 <bay> something speciall...
13:33:07 <bay> Shakugan no Shana
13:33:11 <bay> we're gonig to be releasing s1 of shana
13:33:16 <bay> and we're also going to be doing shana movie
13:33:59 <bay> and this is christopher bevins (voice director for shana) working on it...
13:34:32 <bay> new shana cast....
13:35:16 <bay> (naming the cast without naming roles)
13:38:38 <bay> so very excited

Also...

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?12617-Shakugan-no-Shana-Dub

Arcarnesal wrote:
I was at this panel today and the first two names mentioned in the cast were Brina Palencia (Shana?) and Brittney Karbowski (Yoshida?) [The parentheses are my guesses for their roles]. They also mentioned that Greg Ayres was playing a reoccurring villain. There were a handful of other names mentioned that I don't remember.

From what I remember about the panel yesterday, they were talking about dubbing the movie and second season. The information was a prerecorded 2-minute or so video interview with Bevins with no details written on-screen so I could be wrong, but that was my impression. They talked about the cast (which I mentioned a few names of earlier in this thread), working on the movie and second season, and some of the humor in the otherwise somewhat serious show.

Lynx Amali wrote:
Quote:
Ikki Tousen: Great Guardians, Ikki Tōsen: Xtreme Xecutor

Funi, I love you.

The question is:
Same cast as your dub or MB's dub?
OVAs included?

First off as asimpson pointed out, the season 1 dub was by Geneon and dubbed at New Generation Pictures in Cali and to answer your question, it'll most likely be in-house which would be ok in this case since some of the original cast, including Carrie Savage, have worked in FUNi dubs before.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Hidan no Aria will sell. Its Action + Fanservice... these shows always do well over here. User reviews mean nothing, since Seikirei and Queens Blade were big sellers over here yet their review scores were junk.

Well 2 things...

1. Shows with developed hot women probably sell better than underage little girls

2. Reviews sometimes do matter but it depends on the review and how much you value it. I think most of ANN's reviews are terrible but I found at least 15 other sites that praised Sekirei.

Who's opinion is "right" here?

Or I can do the smart thing and ignore reviews completely and judge for myself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12