• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Blood-C Film, more Ikki Tousen, Michiko & Hatchin

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

First off as asimpson pointed out, the season 1 dub was by Geneon and dubbed at New Generation Pictures in Cali and to answer your question, it'll most likely be in-house which would be ok in this case since some of the original cast, including Carrie Savage, have worked in FUNi dubs before.

I know that. I was curious on whether they would outsource to the cast that did the MB releases or if they would do it in house.

Either way works for me as neither were all that fantastic but decent but each one having a few awesome VAs. (Read: Dan Green for Media Blasters and Carrie Savage for Geneon.)
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

First off as asimpson pointed out, the season 1 dub was by Geneon and dubbed at New Generation Pictures in Cali and to answer your question, it'll most likely be in-house which would be ok in this case since some of the original cast, including Carrie Savage, have worked in FUNi dubs before.

I know that. I was curious on whether they would outsource to the cast that did the MB releases or if they would do it in house.

With the uproar that followed after Jonathan Klein confirmed that Dragon Destiny was getting dubbed elsewhere, it would be wise if FUNi not use the Headline cast again.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

How does the release date change my disappointment with how they are handling it? I'm well aware that of the release date. I was even considering preordering it. However, I am extremely disappointed with their decision to recast the show and dub it in house. I really enjoyed the Shana dub, and in fact, I enjoy it more than any of the recent dubs that Funi has put out.

Dub consistency isn't important to some people. It is to me however. I will still likely pick it up at some point, but now I will probably be waiting for a cheaper release.

Your original post did not make it clear why you were disappointed in it.

Considering they will end up with 2 seasons to dub (3, if they are re-dubbing the original series), then I can understand why they chose to dub it in house. Farming a series out when you already have in-house facilities to handle it costs extra money. Unless a business has good reason to think that not doing so will lose them more money than it costs, they aren't likely to do so.

I never disputed that. But that doesn't mean I have to be happy about buying the title, nor that I have to pay a higher price for it. As I said, I will still likely buy it at some point, but I will probably wait for a cheaper release.
mbanu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

The "five year" license was Michiko & Hatchin. Lance admitted this on Twitter.

Oh, that's a bit disappointing. Sorry guys, it's not Dennou Coil, pack your bags and we'll hit the road. I like Michiko, but my expectations were set on a different year.

I wouldn't write off Michiko and Hatchin too quickly. It was directed by Sayo Yamamoto, who is currently getting interest due to her direction on Lupin III: Fujiko Mine. (I personally think Michiko and Hatchin is her strongest work!) It's also produced by Manglobe, the same folks that did Samurai Champloo. Smile
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
lheiskell wrote:
We have a lot more announcements saved up for Otakon so I hope the reception won't be this tepid to some of the elitists.

Is that going to be the anticipated five year old (2007) show? There's very few titles remaining that fans would still go crazy for. Definitely wasn't Bokurano, despite being another GONZO title.

Michiko To Hatchin came out in 2008 not 2007.

The Funi rep already said earlier in the topic that Michiko to Hatchin was the five
year license.

Lance was saying the title is about 5 years old.

I remember very plainly when it aired.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
lheiskell wrote:
We have a lot more announcements saved up for Otakon so I hope the reception won't be this tepid to some of the elitists.

Is that going to be the anticipated five year old (2007) show? There's very few titles remaining that fans would still go crazy for. Definitely wasn't Bokurano, despite being another GONZO title.

Michiko To Hatchin came out in 2008 not 2007.

The Funi rep already said earlier in the topic that Michiko to Hatchin was the five
year license.

Lance was saying the title is about 5 years old.

I remember very plainly when it aired.

Yes, but he already admitted he guessed on the age.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Not really anything that tickles my fancy other than Eurela Seven Ao. But what I find interesting is the theatrical rights. Why get the theatrical rights for a tv series? Unless there might be a movie in the pipeline...
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Not really anything that tickles my fancy other than Eurela Seven Ao. But what I find interesting is the theatrical rights. Why get the theatrical rights for a tv series? Unless there might be a movie in the pipeline...

I think it has to do with that "Funimation at the movies" event they have every month in Dallas where they screen some episodes of certain shows (not actually movies but same running time)

Even if it's just a small theater and a small crowd they still need the rights.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
mbanu wrote:
I wouldn't write off Michiko and Hatchin too quickly. It was directed by Sayo Yamamoto, who is currently getting interest due to her direction on Lupin III: Fujiko Mine. (I personally think Michiko and Hatchin is her strongest work!) It's also produced by Manglobe, the same folks that did Samurai Champloo. Smile

I've seen and liked most of the show, I'm just saying I was setting my expectations on Bokurano, Dennou Coil, Moyashimon, or whatever else was big in 2007. Michiko is still a good pick though and definitely worth owning.
Anime_Otaku35

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Anime_Otaku35 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

One again, Funi disappoints with their AX announcements. I guess that may be for the best considering how badly they've disappointed me with the shows of theirs I have wanted over the past year, most recently Shana. So maybe it's for the best.

Shakugan no Shana II is set for release on September 25, 2012, preceded by the original series on August 21, 2012:
http://www.funimation.com/rojas/blog/coming-soon-to-blu-ray-and-dvd/706721

How does the release date change my disappointment with how they are handling it? I'm well aware that of the release date. I was even considering preordering it. However, I am extremely disappointed with their decision to recast the show and dub it in house. I really enjoyed the Shana dub, and in fact, I enjoy it more than any of the recent dubs that Funi has put out.

Dub consistency isn't important to some people. It is to me however. I will still likely pick it up at some point, but now I will probably be waiting for a cheaper release.

I was just wondering, where did you hear this at?

It was during their Sneak Peak panel on Friday.

http://bayoab.info/live/live2.php?panel=64.7f14fcd0

Quote:
13:32:57 <bay> Next up...
13:33:00 <bay> something speciall...
13:33:07 <bay> Shakugan no Shana
13:33:11 <bay> we're gonig to be releasing s1 of shana
13:33:16 <bay> and we're also going to be doing shana movie
13:33:59 <bay> and this is christopher bevins (voice director for shana) working on it...
13:34:32 <bay> new shana cast....
13:35:16 <bay> (naming the cast without naming roles)
13:38:38 <bay> so very excited

Also...

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?12617-Shakugan-no-Shana-Dub

Arcarnesal wrote:
I was at this panel today and the first two names mentioned in the cast were Brina Palencia (Shana?) and Brittney Karbowski (Yoshida?) [The parentheses are my guesses for their roles]. They also mentioned that Greg Ayres was playing a reoccurring villain. There were a handful of other names mentioned that I don't remember.

From what I remember about the panel yesterday, they were talking about dubbing the movie and second season. The information was a prerecorded 2-minute or so video interview with Bevins with no details written on-screen so I could be wrong, but that was my impression. They talked about the cast (which I mentioned a few names of earlier in this thread), working on the movie and second season, and some of the humor in the otherwise somewhat serious show.

Thanks for the info. It won't cause me to cancel my pre-order, but I am a little sad the original cast won't be returning. (I'm a big Janyse Jaud fan.)
formerroadie1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Will pick up Aria, Jormungand, Blood-C, and Eureka Seven AO
Bingal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm really glad to see Michiko to Hatchin finally get a Western release. It's been long overdue
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Yea!! Michiko & Hatchin!! I thought the ship had sailed on this one and it would never get licensed.

Same here, I thought it'd never ever happen anymore, and to even get picked up by Funi so it will include a well deserved dub, soooo freaking awesome and long overdue. Smile
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
Yea!! Michiko & Hatchin!! I thought the ship had sailed on this one and it would never get licensed.

Same here, I thought it'd never ever happen anymore, and to even get picked up by Funi so it will include a well deserved dub, soooo freaking awesome and long overdue. Smile

I just hope it gets a good dub, and a nice sexy LE Chipbox release like the Noitamina shows & P&SG.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
One-Eye wrote:

I just hope it gets a good dub, and a nice sexy LE Chipbox release like the Noitamina shows & P&SG.

Agreed.

Yeah I remember there was plenty of nice art that would make for a sweet chipbox.

Animegomaniac wrote:

Michiko and Hatchin? Never heard of it. From the Encyclopedia:

"Hatchin is a girl raised by strict foster parents who has long given up her dreams of freedom. Michiko is a sexy criminal who escapes from a supposedly inescapable prison. When she suddenly enters Hana's life, these two very different women set off on a journey across a lawless land in search of a missing man from both their pasts."

As this is not Bee Train, what's the point? El Cazador is getting a SAVE set, that must be it...

Personally I liked those Bee Train shows but it's really nothing like their "girls with guns" shows. It has the "journey" theme, but it's more Champloo and Wolf's Rain's "journey" in everything including "western-friendly style" than El Cazador. Think Bebop and Champloo (especially in animation and modern style, with similarly excellent attention to "lived-in" incredibly detailed background art, as well as how the soundtrack is used thanks to Shinichiro Watanabe's use of the composer's music as you can easily feel his contribution on the music use side of the series), but somewhat less often outright using comedy (but when it does go for it, there's some really great stuff) and more character bonding/development which is done extremely well by the director and writer.

Surrender Artist wrote:
I like Masamune Shirow and Appleseed, but I've barely heard anything about Appleseed XIII, and what little hasn't be very promising. Why can't this franchise get a proper animated adaptation?

That's what I want to know and is the real disappointing part after the massive success and awesomeness of GITS SAC. I quite liked the two CG movies thanks to the movie-level CG (especially the second one's CG now that it's been a number of years since the first one whose CG I really liked at the time) but if they can't do that level of CG for a weekly series (understandable) I want to know why we can't finally get a big budget 2D/3D proper animated adaptation of 26+ eps Appleseed like SAC. I gotta imagine a good staff would be able to put together some awesome cases (and new character stuff for the various characters that hasn't made it into any of the previous short adaptations) just like SAC for the Appleseed cast to deal with. The small glimpses in the two CG movies really make me want a GITS SAC-level/style long-form series for Appleseed too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12