• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tari Tari (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkslayer709

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Episode 5 has actually really put me off this series for no other reason than Wakana being a total brat to her mum and never being put in her place.

The whole thing just didn't sit well with me and why, if she is supposed to be remembering all these sad memories and (hopefully) feeling pretty darn bad about herself for how much of a cow she was to her mum is she suddenly getting rid of everything?

If that was me and I felt guilty about it I would want to hold onto the items that were clearly so precious to her, not discard them like they were nothing but a bad memory.

Why has this suddenly become a huge drama about Wakana at the expense of the other characters? Much more of this and I'll be dropping it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
darkslayer709 wrote:
.. really put me off this series for no other reason than Wakana being a total brat to her mum and never being put in her place. ...

Just like a real kid. Unforgivable.
Blue Chocobo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
darkslayer709 wrote:
Wow. Episode 5 has actually really put me off this series for no other reason than Wakana being a total brat to her mum and never being put in her place.

I would say that she is getting a kind of punishment for it. She feels absolutely terrible about the way she acted, and the memory of it has been haunting her ever since.

darkslayer709 wrote:

The whole thing just didn't sit well with me and why, if she is supposed to be remembering all these sad memories and (hopefully) feeling pretty darn bad about herself for how much of a cow she was to her mum is she suddenly getting rid of everything?

Related to what I said above, she feels terrible about it to the point where it's interfering with the rest of her life (which is why she's been so cold to the other characters). I would imagine she wants to get rid of everything so that she can try to forget and get over it.

I can definitely understand if people are getting turned off by how overly dramatic this series has suddenly gotten. Personally though, I think the last two episodes have been the best yet. Having lost my own mother when I was just a few years older than Wakana was, I think she's being written realistically. I was on great terms with my own mother when she passed away, and I still occasionally wonder if there's anything I could have done or said better back then. Considering how Wakana treated her mother, I can definitely believe her behavior.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, I for one am happy that spoiler[Wakana's "oh woe is me" period seems to be over and now maybe she won't act like such a total dick to everyone.] One hopes. Hoping for a less Wakana-centric focus in the next few eppies.
darkslayer709

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
darkslayer709 wrote:
.. really put me off this series for no other reason than Wakana being a total brat to her mum and never being put in her place. ...

Just like a real kid. Unforgivable.

I would've been given a good hiding if I had ever spoken to my parents like that so yes, I do think she should have been punished for it. To clarify while her behaviour turned me off her character even more it was the fact that she suffered absolutely no concequence for it that got under my skin.

It's unfortunately a bit of a pet peeve of mine though which doesn't help.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
Now that Wakana's drama is over spoiler[it's Sawa's turn. Her dad disproving of her horse riding dreams was already established, but now it's getting worse as it appears she's developed an eating disorder. She wants to be a jockey but jockies are typically very small men because they weigh less and the horse can run faster. So her wanting to lose weight is probably because of this. However starving yourself is never a good thing and she falls off her horse because of it.]

This show was critisized for being too 'squeaky clean' but that's clearly not the case.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
darkslayer709 wrote:

If that was me and I felt guilty about it I would want to hold onto the items that were clearly so precious to her, not discard them like they were nothing but a bad memory

Agreed. spoiler[trying to toss the fish thingie struck me as really stupid. What, you think you can just throw away your mother's love? That will absolve you somehow?]

Luckily, things bounce back great in episode six, and Wakana comes to terms with her love for her mother and her mother's love for her.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Agreed. spoiler[trying to toss the fish thingie struck me as really stupid. What, you think you can just throw away your mother's love? That will absolve you somehow?]

My guess is the above was written by someone who clearly has never encountered someone in denial.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
VORTIA wrote:

My guess is the above was written by someone who clearly has never encountered someone in denial.

More like denial is something I reflexively interpret as stupid.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
People do stupid things. This is hardly breaking news.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
People do stupid things. This is hardly breaking news.

Sure. It's also usually pretty cringe/face-palm worthy.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps, but that doesn't make it a flaw in the storytelling or characterization. Wakana was clearly trying to get rid of anything that reminded her of her mother which is hardly unheard of as a coping mechanism.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Perhaps, but that doesn't make it a flaw in the storytelling or characterization. Wakana was clearly trying to get rid of anything that reminded her of her mother which is hardly unheard of as a coping mechanism.

Oh, it's not a fault in the show, and I'm back to really enjoying it after episode 6. That one moment just made me really want to kick my TV.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
So, I assume the show is going to be focusing on the character's problems now...? I don't really have a problem with it but it doesn't seem to be about a choir club anymore, just problems of its members. It's like they're slowly deviating from the music theme and focusing on troubled children. I do enjoy the characterization but it may have work better if it was introduced a bit earlier and not in the middle of the show. If the show continues the approach of giving each cast member an episode about their problems my enjoyment will be ruined.

I do praise the characterizations. I can understand Sawa's sentiments of being disallowed to pursue her 'dream' as foolish as it may be. The sentiments come from my own upbringing, though. I still agree with her father or, at least, his points. I don't really agree with him telling her to get a gov't related job. Most of the time, the parent's guidance is the better one. We teenagers can be too ambitious.

Anyways, Wien and Badminton-kun both seem to a bit alienated from the group. So far, the episodes are mainly focused on the female class. It feels like Wien and Badminton are just there for the sake of being there - which is true for the most part. However, they seem to be trying to help the club but they've barely got any focus from the show. It's a shame because Wien seems like a really nice character, too. They're both trying hard whilst the ladies are getting hit by... life straying away from their intended path, I guess. I can't really put into words what I want to say about that last statement.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't normally do screen caps, but I did here just so I could ask this. Does this image count as gratuitous fan service? It is pretty ... pretty.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9