• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Actually it doesn't end that way. In fact:

spoiler[They talk to the BETA and convince them to stop and not activate Red Shift. Afterwards they make peace, the war is over, and they all enjoy the hot springs together.]

In all seriousness,

spoiler[After going nuts, Inia and Cryska hijack the Berkut and go around tearing shit up. Yuuya brings them back to their senses, and with the laser class all gone American bombers come in and wipe out the BETA. Afterwards Yui has to go back to Japan but she's confident she'll return. She meets Cryska one last time and they make their declarations.

"I guess we're enemies now." "No, it's worse than that." "What's worse than enemies?" "... Love rivals."]

Pretty good ending, though it's a typical spoiler[inconclusive] harem show ending. Still better ending than the novels where Yui spoiler[gets shot], though.

But there might be more on the horizon. A post on Twitter says that the episode was aired on Christmas Eve, the significance of which will come to light next year.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I ultimately decided to give the series a rating of very good but it wasn't anything too special. The finale episode seemed to have wrapped things up although the spoiler[supposed leader of the RLF or mastermind is still loose.] So, maybe if they do a season 2 in the future, that part might come back as well as the spoiler[love rivalry between Cryska and Yui.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Judging from the shape of the that was in the Berkut, spoiler[it must have been an Inia clone or something. That was probably the it that was installed a few episodes ago.] Berkut-chan got to shine some more this episode and it fighting on par with the Takemikazuchi was pleasant to watch; and when spoiler[the Shiranui ended up "hugging" the Berkut, I had a huge smile on my face.] I really enjoyed the series but the animation was the biggest problem I had with the show (QUALITY in a lot of places) -- I think I'll give this a rating of Very Good. I can't help but feel that this ending was a bit rushed in some sense and a little anti-climatic.

That said, here's hope to more Muv Luv -- be it Extra, Unlimited, Alternative, or The Day After episodes.

Last edited by EmbraceMe on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting final episode.
spoiler[Lots of tension and abundance of action.
I felt sorry for Inia and Cryska.
Takamura leaving, Yuuya feeling down..
I still can't decide if this anime was about fighting Beta or personal dramas.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I've given this title a Decent rating. That's lower than I assumed based on the first two eppies, so the show is definitely a bit of a disappointment for me. I never really bought into the harem aspect, personally, and in fact I could never really warm up to Yuuya as the male lead. As usual in harem situations, not quite sure why he is the focus of so many sopping panties, but there you go.

I enjoyed the show enough that I'd at least check out any future offerings in the franchise.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
As usual in harem situations, not quite sure why he is the focus of so many sopping panties, but there you go.

At least he's good looking, somewhat competent, and well built. Better pick than miserable homosexual bedwetter that most harem anime protagonists, who are usually so attractive because they're "nice, kind, or sweet".

I'm not insulting homosexuals, but when those guys outright refuse sex, point blank to the female, for no quantifiably acceptable reason (Kio from Asobi), there's something not straight there. Or they're just asexual.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Or they don't want to just sleep with anyone who offers. Some of us still believe in waiting for the right person.

At any rate, Yuuya's heart belongs only to the Shiranui.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

At least he's good looking, somewhat competent, and well built. Better pick than miserable homosexual bedwetter that most harem anime protagonists, who are usually so attractive because they're "nice, kind, or sweet".

I dunno, man - he had several chicks who did everything just short of sitting on his face to get his attention and he maintained a blank, clueless look the entire time. If it had been that other dude on his team (the Italian?) who was getting the crunching, he'd have had trim coming out his ears.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Or they don't want to just sleep with anyone who offers. Some of us still believe in waiting for the right person.

If the story bothers to explain it, but it's usually not the case. They're not abstinent people.
Marzan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Rather undramatic end, although not bad. I guess there's a chance for a second season after all.

I though Yuuya Bridges was more likeable overall than your average harem lead. And his character really grows through the course of the series.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

If the story bothers to explain it, but it's usually not the case. They're not abstinent people.

Still, if they went around having sex with everyone that's treated as a negative trait and we get poor excuses for humans like Makoto. I think it's better when a harem lead shows restraint even to the point of asexuality.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm not insulting homosexuals, but when those guys outright refuse sex, point blank to the female, for no quantifiably acceptable reason (Kio from Asobi), there's something not straight there. Or they're just asexual.

The real problem is usually the male lead takes it one step further -- acting as if having sex is the single most horrible thing that could possibly happen to them. (see Kanokon for a good example).

BTW for some reason I thought VG was doing Tarisa. Did that really happen or am I just imagining it?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
There are conflicting reports on that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 25 (final)

An alright finale, but overall when I looked at the the ratings I chose to rate my opinion of the series as Decent (I am being a little more serious with ratings). The series did not really grab my attention like it did with others, and I think there was an issue that the series did not quite decide what it wanted to be. I was also never that interested in Yuuya as he actually came across kind of whiny being so moody, and all of sudden turning into clueless yet helpfull harem lead.

I suppose the series wanted to show Yuuya changing from hating the japanese TSFs, and for the most parts I think it was done fairly well, but now that I look back it feels kind of disjointed. Cryska's change did feel better, and I did like her more than Yui, though it feels like they missed some sort of opertunity.

And we needed more Tarisa, and I don't mean throwing her into cute outfits, becaus that felt really forced. Perhaps if she had some development, like to do with what happened to Natalie.

And did it seem strange to anyone else that they would spoiler[pilot the TSF to hold their head like that when they were struggling with their mind]?
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

And did it seem strange to anyone else that they would spoiler[pilot the TSF to hold their head like that when they were struggling with their mind]?

The wikia explains how how the pilot systems work. I never thought deeply about it, well, because, mecha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 26