• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Selector Infected + Spread Wixoss (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote

Selector Infected Wixoss (TV)
Selector Spread Wixoss (TV)

Genres: drama, psychological, thriller, tournament
Themes: card games, magical creatures

Plot Summary: WIXOSS is a card game that's popular with teenagers. Supposedly there exist "Rulig Cards," female character cards with wills of their own. Special girls can hear the voices of the Ruligs, and those who possess them are called Selectors. These Selectors have card battles in a dimension that other humans cannot access. It's said that whoever triumphs in these battles will have their wish granted. Ruko Kominato is the latest girl to find a Rulig card. She names hers Tama, and without any further explanation is thrown into her life as a Selector.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:
I'm very curious to see where this goes considering the director of Steins;Gate is involved in this. Anyways, it reminded me of spoiler[Yugioh in some ways with the card playing. Then, there's Ruko and her partner which I think is kinda cute]. The artwork is okay I guess by JC Staff and the OP song too.

That spoiler[dream] did not look like fun though so I'm expecting more despair to come later.

Last edited by Stark700 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
How in the heck did you see this already, Stark700? Are you watching it direct off of Japanese TV? Because the Funimation stream hasn't started yet (it's overdue - big surprise), Crunchyroll doesn't start it 'til tomorrow, and it's too quick for fansubs to have materialized yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
How in the heck did you see this already, Stark700? Are you watching it direct off of Japanese TV? Because the Funimation stream hasn't started yet (it's overdue - big surprise), Crunchyroll doesn't start it 'til tomorrow, and it's too quick for fansubs to have materialized yet.

I think he live-streams it,I know plenty of people that do.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Watched it on TV. Raw is already out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I just saw this episode as well.

This one looks like it could get very interesting. The gameplay reminds me a bit of Bakugan only a little more dumbed down (though that could change later). Not expecting to be wowed or anything but I think I'll stick with this one. Characters aren't to bad either.

If anything Tama giving me moe heart attack each week will be worth it Anime smile.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
MadokaxYugioh???? I watched the first episode on a whim since I generally avoid card game shows. I enjoyed the first episode and I will most likely continue this.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I think this show is:

1.) Female-dominated Yu-Gi-Oh!
2.) Fantasista Dolls 2.0
3.) Madoka with cards
4.) Madoka meets Yu-Gi-Oh!
5.) Saki with cards.

I think this show has a decent start. Looking forward for more.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:57 am Reply with quote
I like Ru's little family ^^
So far it looks nice.
I'm kinda skeptical about the whole card game thing though.
The incident with the card was kinda LOL
Looks like this anime has some serious potential to be great!
The hints they were throwing got me interested.
Think I might give this one a few more episodes before I decide.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Because there are not enough anime related to card games.

But to be honest this actually looks pretty solid. Initial thought was that character looked cute, and there does seem to be hints at more depth. I thought that I could just do something else while the OP was playing, but I quite liked the look of it, actually had me thinking kind of like Black Rock Shooter, and this wish thing seems a little Madoka like. That dream sequence sure looked pretty freaky.

If some of you did not catch it, it appears that Yuzuki's spoiler[wish is so she can be with her twin brother]. That with Ruuko kind of spoiler[afraid of how battle hungry] Tama was and that freaky wish kind of makes it look like we are in for something.

My actual impression: that this is Black Rock Shooter meets YuGiOh meets Madoka. I don't think they wanted to go too far into the specifics of the game as we kind of skipped part way through the match so it would not be too bogged down. I am sure I will continue this one, so I already put down that I have "seen some", maybe J.C. Staff is having more luck with me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Could have done without the spoiler[bro-con], but whatevs.

An okay start. I'm definitely interested in seeing more.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:57 am Reply with quote
I approve the twin-cest in this series Wink
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:28 am Reply with quote
Her love is pure and true, and that makes it all the more painful.

I hope Yuzuki hands Akira an epic ass beating.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Well it is sure being creepy without really trying too hard, although I would like foe it to shock me a bit more. The personalities for the new girls was a bit of a surprise for who I am assuming will be friends.

The episode did click a little into my interest in the whole card thing, I recently started an online card playing game, and also had me looking at my favourite Yu-Gi-Oh deck after the episode. The cute pictures are one reason I like the cards.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:23 am Reply with quote
You know, I actually like a lot of things about this show. But I'm sorry, the playing of the game is just atrocious. And this, understand, is coming from someone who would totally watch a show where a bunch of people play a TCG. At first I was disappointed because they seem to be using the tired "she's just magically super powerful because of reasons" trope which is pretty dull. If they're really doing a "serious" card show it would be nice to see something approaching actual strategy and/or a protagonist who actually wins by being good. But hell, at this point I'd settle for something straight out of Yugioh. At least Yugioh had actual rules and mechanics.

Here...well lets just say we're two episodes in and I literally could not tell you how you win at this game. All they seem to do is take turns having their avatars take swings at each other. There's no clear win condition or scoring system. Heck, they barely even play cards. And when they do, it has no tangible effect. It just makes their avatar more powerful in some completely nondescript and undefined way. Occasionally they do get to actually do something like make the opponent discard a card. But it's not because of anything they've played or any discernible rules of the game. It's just declared that they get to do this because of their deck or their avatar or something I guess.

Of course, outside of battles, they're still happy to toss around a ton of terminology. Although it's all nothing but techno-babble essentially since they've never bothered to explain any of it, or even use it in a way that is expository. Oh, her deck is a red deck so if she added this card it would help her cycle faster? Well that might be interesting if I had literally any idea what either of those things mean. I don't know. I guess maybe the intent here is that people will go out and buy the card game and already know this stuff. That seems a bit like putting the cart before the ox though. Plus, even in that case, I can't imagine why they'd want to when there is so little to the actual battles.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:47 am Reply with quote
^
I do agree some proper explanation is in order. From what I can understand their deck works around their main card which has certain effects, and or allows certain cards to be played. They can have spell like effects, or they summon a creatures like the swallow, but I think they can only summon a creature based on what level they have upgraded their main card in the game. Not explained though is what part creatures have like whether they can attack and defend the main cards. In fact I think I saw that there was a card of a cute elf on green girl's side, but no indication of what it was doing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12