• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Certain Magical Index Episodes 1-14 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Yeah, it seems to be a big issue with light/visual novel adaptations. Maybe the writers and story board artists are just unsure of what to do because unlike manga their's not that much visual reference to draw from?

Ya know that could be a possibility. I honestly always felt there is lack of knowing when to draw the line in being faithful to the source material.
Well, there's also the fact that fans of the novels tend to demand absolute fidelity to the source material, and Heaven help you if you alter it too much. So novel adaptations tend to work under some pretty harsh constraints in that regard.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:32 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Well, there's also the fact that fans of the novels tend to demand absolute fidelity to the source material, and Heaven help you if you alter it too much. So novel adaptations tend to work under some pretty harsh constraints in that regard.

Which is kind of sad that it boils down to what fans of the novels want, even if many of them don't understand or care to understand why there would even be a line to cross with adapting anything toward s a more visual medium in the first place.
青白

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or is the timing of this review way too late compared to when this show was actually aired?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote
A Certain Magic Index has the most basic Light novel fantasy problems, a paper thin premise in deference to its reality {It's like Kampfer but with at least some backstory}. In Academy City, science reigns supreme while outside it, it's magic, religion and stuff like that. In its own reality, the series is never about science versus magic or even science with magic; it's always a case of "either/or". Example: Would the third arc make any sort of sense if there was magical involvment/interruption or even existance?

What could beat Accelerator? I don't know, does it start with a "M"?

Now, if the creators purposely split this quandry {and Touma's interactions with both} through two concurrent series such as, I don't know, A Certain Magical Index and A Certain Scientific Railgun {I can't tell if they know their choice of a secondary title mocked their original work or not} then it would be brilliant or at least aware of its own limitations.

As it is, I don't hate it; It's just another show that succeeds despite its limitations and there's nothing special about that. Now, if it was like Soul Eater whose own plotting in the final quarter killed all the distinctive bits that the show was able to take from the original work then it would be a spectacular failure. Or like Haruhi Suzumiya, a polarizing work where Kyoto Animation's efforts to make a memorable movie, overadapted the second season.

I guess what I'm trying to say that while Index is nice, it's just not worth the wait. It's competent and appropriately adapted but it's just that all the problems are from the original stories.
DiGiKerot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
青白 wrote:
Is it just me, or is the timing of this review way too late compared to when this show was actually aired?

My understanding is that Geneon (in Japan) being purchased by Universal caused significant delays in getting materials and the various clearances required to move forwards with releasing content. It's only relatively recently that matters have started to progress, meaning that Funimation have only recently been able to move on the Index (and Railgun, IIRC) licenses they've been sitting on for a while, so it's only recently that it's gone up for legal streaming.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
青白 wrote:
It only recently became available via legal streaming, which is why it's being written now.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote
青白 wrote:

It's coming out as the show is being streamed on Youtube and Hulu by Funimation. ANN only reviews whatever is being streamed legally if it's not on home video.

Edit: Yeah, what Saffire said
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
ahh so the thread is still going a bit.. well for last night i'm sorry if sounded like a jack-ass or a dumb-ass. Manga is not my field of expertise and I'm willing to admit to that. Also not having an centeral air in 100+ weather fried my brain a bit

well on a different subject who is looking forward to dvd/bluray release of this show later this year?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
So, throughout the review and these pages of discussion and no one mentions the one thing that really bugs the hell out of me with this series, both seasons, and Railgun? When a character is a villain, he is a villain all the way- remorseless, psychotic- ruthless, no ethics or morals, will kill Toma for slight offenses whether he really seems to pose a threat at all. they are annoying sneering bad guys that make full use of evil laughs and taunts of how futile it is to struggle... and then, if they survive, they invariably become allies and suddenly become all human and reasonable.

I don't know if it's the original writers or the people responsible for the anime, but someone has serious trouble writing nuanced villains. While they are villains, every single one of them is basically interchangeable.

Granted, Stiyl is the only one that shows this switch from psycho to ally within these episodes but between him, Aureolus Izzard and Accelerator, the tendency for generic "Evil" is pretty clear and already irritating - to me anyways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Granted, Stiyl is the only one that shows this switch from psycho to ally within these episodes but between him, Aureolus Izzard and Accelerator, the tendency for generic "Evil" is pretty clear and already irritating - to me anyways.

*ahem*

Kiyama-sensei.

Granted, the final villain of the second Railgun arc has the exact problem you mentioned, but the first arc doesn't, and does a good job of explaining why Kiyama does what she does.

And Accelerator spoiler[reforms. Sorta.]
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
The girl he loves? You mean Index? Pfft. Yeah. Uh-huh. No. He just tries to protect everyone. He's known for being one-sided to everyone. He saves Himegami and Mikoto in the exact same ways he saved Index.

But I'm glad Index got high marks. It is personally my second favorite anime series ever. :3
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Stiyl was only acting as the villain, since before there was little point in persisting a relationship with Index.

Izzard didn't see himself as evil, doing what he though was right. Since he was an outcast in the magic world, it only made sense for him to take "evil" measures.

Accelerator is an interesting case, since he's actually spoiler[a subversion of the archetypical villain trope.] Of course, you'll need to continue watching into the 2nd season to find out what I mean. If you can, that is. *smirks*

Fencedude5609 wrote:
*ahem*

Kiyama-sensei.

Granted, the final villain of the second Railgun arc has the exact problem you mentioned, but the first arc doesn't, and does a good job of explaining why Kiyama does what she does.

This is also true. Conclusion => the author Kamachi knows how to make interesting characters, villains or heroes, when he's not blatantly chunking in new and pointless characters.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
The girl he loves? You mean Index? Pfft. Yeah. Uh-huh. No. He just tries to protect everyone. He's known for being one-sided to everyone. He saves Himegami and Mikoto in the exact same ways he saved Index.

It would be nice if he'd at least occasionally acknowledge the affection that gets poored out to him. Yeah yeah, harem protagonist, still really freaking irritating to see all these girls throw themselves at him for no particularly good reason.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

*ahem*

Kiyama-sensei.

Yeah, Kiyama kind of gets a pass, although I mostly got the cold psycho feel from her first appearance. But Stiyl doesn't- seriously hate his first appearance and how badly his psychotic "kill the bypassing kid" attitude contrasts with his quick development as a character.

Quote:

and that's the point... I like that they get character development... but I really wish that when they're playing the role of the villain- they'd show some of that character at that point- some nuance. When a character switches to ally an explanation is often given that they didn't really want to do it, they didn't want to hurt others... but that hesitation is lost somewhere in the "You're gonna die" psycho babbling.

Maybe I discount Kiyama becausespoiler[ its not really a battle at a all, she snags him pretty easily]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

*ahem*

Kiyama-sensei.

Yeah, Kiyama kind of gets a pass, although I mostly got the cold psycho feel from her first appearance. But Stiyl doesn't- seriously hate his first appearance and how badly his psychotic "kill the bypassing kid" attitude contrasts with his quick development as a character.

Quote:

and that's the point... I like that they get character development... but I really wish that when they're playing the role of the villain- they'd show some of that character at that point- some nuance. When a character switches to ally an explanation is often given that they didn't really want to do it, they didn't want to hurt others... but that hesitation is lost somewhere in the "You're gonna die" psycho babbling.

Maybe I discount Kiyama becausespoiler[ its not really a battle at a all, she snags him pretty easily]

Hmm how best to describe accelerator's development with using spoilers. Well the best way is think of him as vegeta from dragon ball z with the way his character changes and develops of the course from the sayian to the cell arc's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6