• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Soul Eater Trading Arts Vol. 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iridescent_Fall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Anyway, I wonder why the six of them ditched Tsubaki? That's just cold...

Actually, a Tsubaki figure (human form) does exist, you just have to buy the second set of figures (as seen about halfway down this page: http://www.souleater.tv/goods/other.html). There's an awesome Stein, Blair, and Soul in scythe form in that set too.

I've been hesitant to buy the set, but the good review has convinced me to hunt them down! :3 Now I just need to put aside a bit of extra cash...
I loved the pictures at the end too! Laughing
holybell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
They look like pretty good figures to own even though I am not a die-hearted Soul Eater fan. Anime smile Might own them one day if I have the cash for them.

And oh, I love your sense of humour and your creative mind, Rob. Anime hyper Laughing Those pictures at the bottom are priceless.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
those poses are hilarious.

so far i'm loving the anime. i just wish the characters were as powerful as they are in the manga.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bricken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote
sena_h_dei wrote:
(This is me being nosy now, but what is that Luffy thing hanging off your drawer? It looks like an air freshener to me, but I can't quite tell. If that's what it is, where on earth did you find it!?)

It is indeed a Luffy air freshener, which I got either at Animate or at a literal One Piece store in Sunshine 60 in Ikebukero. It was right after the Alabasta saga ended, and One Piece was at the height of its popularity in Japan, so there were nearly a dozen stores around Tokyo devoted just to One Piece merchandise. It was pretty much the best thing ever.

Obviously, the air freshener is hella old, but I can't bring myself to throw it out.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if the author will read this or will care, bet the twins have large breasts because they're Americans. Why new yorkers would dress like Texans/five-year-olds is beyond me.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I've been wondering when the next Astro Toy article was written. It always makes me laugh!

Well, it's good to know that Rob got some decent toys now. So much money he spent on horrible-made stuff would've made me cry...
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Iridescent_Fall wrote:
Actually, a Tsubaki figure (human form) does exist, you just have to buy the second set of figures (as seen about halfway down this page: http://www.souleater.tv/goods/other.html). There's an awesome Stein, Blair, and Soul in scythe form in that set too.

Wow. I want all 12 now. Those are some darn good figures. Now when is Square-Enix going to make a trading arts version of Dissidia: Final Fantasy?
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Squeenix making statues for anime they have nothing to do with? Well, I guess weirder things have happened...Sega still does all those creepy Eva girl figurines.

It'll come as a shock that I, too, have seen nothing of the Soul Eater anime, but to be honest, I think the character designs are...lame, stuff I've seen far too many times before. The main character looks like some Naruto wannabe on drugs. Perhaps my distaste for most shonen fare is influencing my opinion here, but eh.

Oh right the toys...well, they're OK I guess, it's like it's required by law that every shonen show gets a set of gashapon.

Hey Rob, in anime heaven, is one allowed a "happy end" with an anime girl of their choice? Laughing
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
You nut, those captions made them worth seeing! Anime hyper
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Squeenix making statues for anime they have nothing to do with? Well, I guess weirder things have happened...Sega still does all those creepy Eva girl figurines.
Squenix publishes the manga. They're right at the heart of the beast.

Edit: Looking at the merch, I seriously want that t-shirt that has "The legend" and points to Excaliber.
Elves

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote
Rob Bricken wrote:
Luckily, not knowing something has never stopped me from writing authoritatively about it before (see: every college paper I ever wrote and a terrifying amount of my Anime Insider work), and with help from Wikipedia, I'm willing to give these things a shot.

Hrm...as have all other fan-boys on the web. Wink lol. Don't worry Rob, I trust you.

As always, a very well written, informative, and entertaining column. Especially the last set of picutures! So made me laugh. Anime hyper
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Squeenix making statues for anime they have nothing to do with?

As Conan-san said, Square-Enix publishes Monthly Shonen Gangan (and, for that matter, all the other Gangans too), the magazine that this was originally serialized in. Fullmetal Alchemist is also being published in the same magazine. SE has been known to give its most popular series the Play Arts treatment from time to time.

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
The main character looks like some Naruto wannabe on drugs.

Laughing That's a perfect description of Black*Star, actually. You'll find that most of the characters in this anime are caricatures of shonen stereotypes. That's what makes the show so funny!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
OMG!! This is probably the first time I really read the toy column fully. I could not stop laughing it was so damn funny. Great job.

I must admit those figures are really well crafted. But I'm still wondering about those poses though. Laughing Laughing
sykoeent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
After seeing the poses you put them in... all I can say is...

SOLD!!!!

I love doing that to my figures! It's makes them more fun!
YAY!
ryogasasaki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Bricken, Death the Kid tends to do.. umm... Sayaman-sort of poses. He's like the 6th Nsync member (or Shadow Power Ranger).
I'm actually surprised Kid wasn't all symmetrical.

Iridescent_Fall wrote:
Big Hed wrote:
Anyway, I wonder why the six of them ditched Tsubaki? That's just cold...

I've been hesitant to buy the set, but the good review has convinced me to hunt them down! :3 Now I just need to put aside a bit of extra cash...
I loved the pictures at the end too! Laughing

OMG!!! Frankenstein looks friggin awsome!!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3