• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Has Anyone Hand Translated Imported Manga?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ridiculus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I know a man who did precisely that with the French albums he owned. But he has been working as an illustrator, so I suppose it was necessary. As for me, I would never do it. Besides, many unofficial translations are just so bad it hurts my brain. Twisted Evil

A good knowledge of English is more important for the translators than their proficiency in Japanese, but people tend to forget that.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
ridiculus wrote:
I know a man who did precisely that with the French albums he owned. But he has been working as an illustrator, so I suppose it was necessary. As for me, I would never do it. Besides, many unofficial translations are just so bad it hurts my brain. Twisted Evil

A good knowledge of English is more important for the translators than their proficiency in Japanese, but people tend to forget that.

can you go tell manga panda that please, reading their translations of one piece tears away at my brain
truanifan678

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
If I understand correctly you want to basically print the dialogue on copy paper then paste it directly onto the pages? If so then I have to say that makes my stomach turn. I could never alter a hardcopy of manga. As a graphic designer who loves the production of books and packaging I can't agree.

However, the notion of editing scans I've done myself with a translated script, producing a book layout myself, printing the whole book out (most likely via a print shop since standard copy paper is too small), then perfect binding it myself HAS crossed my mind. Of course you couldn't sell it if you did that. Just translating it and altering it I'm sure is against copyright laws.

The idea of binding your own book isn't something impossible. Get the right card stock, a good print shop, follow a perfect binding tutorial for the interior pages, and BOOM. You got yourself a manga. You wouldn't be able to send it off to get printed into a book like indie comic artist do for their own comics. Once again; copyrights.

Just want to remind that what I'm spitballing I'm 99% sure breaks copyright laws. On the other hand the idea has crossed my mind since I can do just about everything except the translation. XP
Genet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't do that. I do, however, import and translate my manga (esp. if it's something that's not likely to be licensed any time soon)

I usually keep a document on my computer and implement furigana and vocab lists. It really helps me with my Japanese.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
It's like when I was back in high school, one of my former friends used to color in her manga with not crayons or colored pencils but markers (freaking markers) which bleed into the subsequent pages she hadn't read yet. Ugh. The very memory of it makes my inner book lover cry like baby. T__T

o______o
Augh! Augh! Oh gawd, it's like a horror story noooooo! *covers ears*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2