• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Akira Toriyama Comments on Live-Action Dragonball Film

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sykoeent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
He's playing that "I'll be polite to not burn any bridges" style of Japanese commentary. But I'd still rather he pull an Alan Moore and take his name off the final product.

I'd rather see him go Christian Bale on everyone involved and pull the plug right before it comes out. There is probably a breach of contract somewhere in the creation of this movie... and FOX is stupid anyway, if they were going to change as much of the story as they did, they might as well have called it something else. I know that they were only going after "the Name", but now I think the actual story by Akira Toriyama should be used, and used well.
A lot of us are already boycotting this movie. And some of us are planning to pay for another film, but walk into Dragonball just so that they don't get any money, but the Theatre's still do. I'm not saying that's the right way to see and bash this garbage of a movie, but sometimes big studios also need to learn a lesson.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As the original creator, I had a feeling of "Huh?" upon seeing the screenplay and the character designs

that says it all Laughing Laughing Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:54 pm Reply with quote
DB: I wasn't bashing him. I was just making it clear that the Japanese have a different attitude toward confrontation than Westerners. Though if you're responding to, "He doesn't care about it, anyway", I'm guessing they mean he's more into the work for fun than he is into the art.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
enurtsol: At this point, Toriyama's set for life. He's just being nice because of his traditional cultural values which prevent him from bad-mouthing someone to their face.

That too. It's still much more money potentially. And he could pass it on to his family and his family's families so they too are set for life (especially in these uncertain economic times).

I dunno about ya guys, but if I could earn million$ and million$ and I'm not hurting anybody doing it (I mean, really hurt), then I'd retire, spend more time with the family, and do more manga but as a hobby instead of to earn a living. I'm not gonna sabotage it. Laughing
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quote
That's a diplomatically polite comment if I've ever read one.

If you want to get a real opinion of the live-action DB movie, go ask Eiichiro Oda, the author of One Piece (and Toriyama worshipper). Then again, it's hard to get a straight answer out of him. He'll probably tell you that Sogeking thought it was good, but Luffy didn't like it because he was in the wrong theater.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:12 pm Reply with quote
From what I read on the Wiki about him just now, he really doesn't do much manga anymore, mostly Dragon Quest/other RPG character designs and the occasional manga one-shot. He probably has enough money to use as wash cloths, handkerchiefs, and toilet paper for life.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
He's playing that "I'll be polite to not burn any bridges" style of Japanese commentary. But I'd still rather he pull an Alan Moore and take his name off the final product.

Agreed. If the orginal author states this movie is bound to fail, the movie is even in bigger trouble. Personally, this was a bomb to start with. The trailer guarentented that.

To have such a great manga artist/anime creator mocked like this, I am truly discusted at Fox and any other company that was involved in this. For shame, regardless of trying to make a revenue.
Dune

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
For the curious, the newest DB trailer can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sySeneWRxc
ankoku22

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Quote:
This is the same Toriyama who forgot who some of his characters were.

Wait, what? xD I missed this!

In this interview between Akira Toriyama and Eiichiro Oda, Toriyama did appear to forget some of the details regarding minor characters from Dragon Ball. There may be another example somewhere, but this was the first chat that came to my mind.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Translation: It's crap, but at least I'm getting paid.
kdmccaskill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
do you think fox will cancel cowboy bebop
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
My god I cannot wait to see this movie. Really just can't wait.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
Zac: More than Watchmen? Laughing
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry, it looks ridiculous...

...and FREAKIN' AWESOME!

Seriously, I'm not even a DB fan, and I want to go see it. Very Happy
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:54 am Reply with quote
Geez, how much more bashing do I get to hear? If you acquire the rights to something, there is a contract written. If the contract says you cannot change anything, then you don't change anything. If the contract says you can do whatever the hell you want with the movie, then you sure as hell can do whatever you want with the movie. It's as simple as that Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11