• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuruyuri♪♪ (Season 2 & 3) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I'm enjoying the third season a lot more than I enjoyed the first two.

Just came here to say that it's the complete opposite for me (and the vast majority of the shows fans apparently).
Both the new designs and color scheme change don't work, and the humor is sub-par aside from the direct manga lifts.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh Akari....

Almost thought she died for a minute in the latest episode. Also, nice shirt:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:

Just came here to say that it's the complete opposite for me (and the vast majority of the shows fans apparently).
Both the new designs and color scheme change don't work, and the humor is sub-par aside from the direct manga lifts.

S3 so far has been a sub-genre shift, I am siding with the change but just as well this is NOT the same type of series of the previous seasons.

The characters feel more "human" and less like caricatures, I have seen other comedy series go in the opposite direction with there respective ongoing runs (zetsubou sensei comes to mind) and just role with what amounts to site gags with there established characters which is probably what some of the long time fans may have been looking for in the s3 adaptation.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Also, nice shirt:

I found it quite appropriate. Toshino was more annoying than amusing this week.

Best lol line: "I hope you'll help me again."
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Sunny milk wrote:

S3 so far has been a sub-genre shift, I am siding with the change but just as well this is NOT the same type of series of the previous seasons.

Care to expand on the shift? I have no idea what you guys are talking about lol. All 3 seasons felt the same to me (in a good way).
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:07 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:

Care to expand on the shift? I have no idea what you guys are talking about lol. All 3 seasons felt the same to me (in a good way).

The only way I can put it is that the previous seasons at there most extreme were an outright "cartoon" when it came to setting up a punch line, the most egregious being the time travel and school play gags near the end of s2.

the current season is comparatively restrained and instead of trying to create an accelerated goofy situation usually opts for "the feels".
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:29 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
Also, nice shirt:

I found it quite appropriate. Toshino was more annoying than amusing this week.

Best lol line: "I hope you'll help me again."

For the first half I was laughing like a child at her antics and then the second half I wanted to slap her, so she's just back to usual Kyouko-ness as that's how I felt about her since s1.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 5

There have been a subtle shift. Looking at the past two seasons they were indeed much more cartoony, and in general I think focus has changed between them. The first season from memory focused the most on the core group, and making fun of Akari's lack of presence was a major joke. Later into it there was more focus on the student council group, which into the second season I think became almost just as relevant as main characters. I think season 2 had some more focus on some more secondary characters, like family of the main characters. And also I think in general Akari started being used for more, from the beginning have the Akari being popular dream, and with towards the end of her traveling through time that showed how important she is.

This season has really done away with relying on so much of certain running jokes, that the return of Akari needing her hair buns to live and Chitose's daydreams, kind of felt a little surprising. The jokes are not gone, just spread out, less crazy. They have had characters meet other characters, and rather than relying on just gags, it feels more like saying lets have these characters together and let it go from there.

About what characters are yet to get some focus. We need some Chizuru who does change the dynamics further with Kyouko or with Chizuru. Some Mari who works with Yui, and I think had something with Chinatsu. Kaede who I still remember for reacting with Sakurako. Actually, putting Mari and Kaede has to happen, I think fanart I have seen likes to put them together, plus with Hanako. Rise and Nana have also appeared fairly little.

I liked the Hanako and Nadeshiko having a smart conversation creating a contrast to Sakurako.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:

The only way I can put it is that the previous seasons at there most extreme were an outright "cartoon" when it came to setting up a punch line, the most egregious being the time travel and school play gags near the end of s2.

the current season is comparatively restrained and instead of trying to create an accelerated goofy situation usually opts for "the feels".

Hmmm I guess I have to rewatch random episodes from the first 2 seasons when I have the time.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Season 3, episode 6:

LOL, Kyoko is such a troll in this show with her pranking. Although in a way, I do find her artistic talent stylish with what she did with the apple.

First time I've seen fruits carved like that~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Nice episode again. Now I want to eat apples... Lucky for me, I have some left! Time to cut them rabbit shaped!

By the way, did anyone else notice in last weeks episode that Sakurako's older sister was reading Citrus?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow who the hell peels apples man what the hell. Apples are great to just bite 'em up and eat till there's only the seeds left, what a waste.
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
What a lovely episode! Lots of Ayano x Kyoko and Akari x Chinatsu moments. My favourite ships in this show!

And Mirakurun is a horrible person...
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Heh, the plot twist of that movie they were watching...

I guess Chinatsu wasn't expecting that. Neither did Yui.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
What Yuru Yuri has taught me today is that if you want a middle school girl to consent to kissing you, all you need to do is chase her down the street until she trips and bangs her head in something.

Cynical jokes aside, another good episode. While Ayano x Kyouko is boring as hell to me as always, Chinatsu was actually fairly entertaining with her crush, as with her practicing, and Akari is always priceless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10