• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Emotion matters more than the notes.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote
What I want to talk about directly refers to the music in anime (Openings, closings, and inserts), but rather being in the music part of the forum this is more about the actual anime aspect.

I will start by saying that I have never had any interest in music, I have not really cared about listening music, but for some reasons I listen to a lot of songs from anime. I was thinking recently if it is that I like Japanese songs, but I don't think that is it, and I was listening to the song Requiem (an insert song from Dusk Maiden of Amnesia) on the weekend and I just started crying (I am serious). I think I realized that what was important to me was not the words tune that made the music mattered, it was the images from the scenes they were in, and for the series in whole.

I guess it was on my mind from when I was watching AKB0048, at first I did not really care for the songs, at least I did not until towards the end of the series that I actually started to really enjoy. For example I did not care for the OP, Kibou ni Tsuite, but after a while I connected the song to the images in the OP, which I then connected to the associated characters in the rest of the show, and that is the main reason I like it. I don't know the words, but the song brings me the images of the characters trying so hard, and all of their emotions.

For the rest I will list some songs that I think I get strong emotions based on what I got from the show:

Zettai Kaichou Sengen from Seitokai no Ichizon brings a smile to me every time, I know that the song is about the character Sakurano Kurimu gloating about her being the "kaichou", but not being very smart about it. It brings up all of the memories of Kurimu having such a large ego, but the fact that she is such a child about things, like how she reads children's books.

Dango Diakazoku from Clannad and it's Afterstory, a mixed bag as it was the ED from season one so I am brought up with the feelings of revelations, and the friendship or family of the characters. But at the same time it was someones favourite song and some rather significant connections with spoiler[Nagisa's love for her family, and for little Ushio.]

Dai Mahou Touge from the series of the same name, aka Punie-chan, gives very strong feelings of satire (dark satire). The op starts off with images of pretty flowers and standard magical girl stuff, before showings some pretty unlikely gruff looking villains for that genre, before showing chaos and Punie happy around chaos with and saying fairly "kill them all", an almost activation word for bad things in the show. The entire thing is a song satirically makes fun of genocide, oppression and generally the idea of happily smiling while others are in pain. The full song even has a run of wrestling moves being thrown out, which evokes the fighting scenes, how something can go from cutesy to incredibly terrifying.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I have always felt that while writing an affective song with lyrics is hard, writing one without lyrics is a sign of inspired genius! The last half of Eric Clapton's original Layla causes me to give unconditional props to the man. Likewise one of Ko Otoni's OST pieces in Shakugan no Shana caused me to go on a search that ultimately led me to Haibane Renmei. What awe-inspiring genius.
kaydub

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
My Soul, Your Beats! from Angel Beats! stands out to me as an OP that really stirs up an emotional response and fits in really well with the mood of the series. Every time I hear it, I think of someone who has lost someone or something important to them but remains hopeful as they search for them/it. The piano and strings sound somewhat sad, which contrasts well with the strong, upbeat vocals and fast, steady beat. It really matches and enhances the tone and emotion of the show in my opinion, much like the rest of the soundtrack.
Riddley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I've actually been thinking about something quite similar to this subject lately. There are some anime songs I actually have on my favorite play lists. Like Konna ni Chikaku de by Crystal Kay from Nodame Cantabile.

I've realized that in order for me to love a song, the lyrics have to be damn good and speak to me in some way. But I can like/enjoy a song with poor lyrics provided the hook or arrangement is good.

As for music without words, they are on another level. To be able to express emotions with notes alone, I think, is a sign of pure genius. It's that genius, imho, that keeps classical music going. For instance, Rhapsody in Blue. Or even better, Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto 2. I get chills every time I hear it start with the tolling of the bells.

If you like music (or even if you don't) I highly recommend listening to Nickel Creek. Even if you're not into music, they are something else imo. They can do amazing non-lyric pieces while also having rock solidly written lyrical ones. I also personally love Linkin Park, but they speak to me on a personal level that maybe not as many others would connect with them on.

I think the key to any good piece of music, regardless of whether it has lyrics or not, is if it can hit you in the heart and connect with you on a strong emotional level.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
kaydub wrote:
My Soul, Your Beats! from Angel Beats! stands out to me as an OP that really stirs up an emotional response and fits in really well with the mood of the series.
What do you think of the rock version, does it give a different feeling? I think it gives a touch of the ambition that comes from Yui's character, trying hard for the moment.
kaydub

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
kaydub wrote:
My Soul, Your Beats! from Angel Beats! stands out to me as an OP that really stirs up an emotional response and fits in really well with the mood of the series.
What do you think of the rock version, does it give a different feeling? I think it gives a touch of the ambition that comes from Yui's character, trying hard for the moment.

Yeah, I think the GirlDeMo version has it's own unique feeling. I agree with you in that it really reflects Yui's character specifically while still retaining the overall emotion of the original. I do feel like the original elicits a stronger emotional response overall thanks to the piano and strings, but the GirlDeMo version works well in the fact that elicits that response towards a specific character/event and makes her story arc feel that much more significant.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
For example I did not care for the OP, Kibou ni Tsuite, but after a while I connected the song to the images in the OP, which I then connected to the associated characters in the rest of the show, and that is the main reason I like it.

o_o I loved it the second I heard it. But it was the scene with Nagisa flying on her bike at the height of her emotion that sold me. Because that's the first time they play it.

I think.....

Best anime music for capturing emotion in my opinion:

Full Moon Wo Sagashite. The entire soundtrack is just......well, it's amazing. That word best describes it. New Future and Eternal Snow being the most brilliant of the songs. Piano version of New Future is particularly powerful. It captures the mood of the scene, perfectly every time.

As for best OP that wraps up the whole show entirely?
Air TV's Tori No Uta. Hands down. I am flying through the sky alongside Misuzu every time I hear that. From the sound effects, to the instrumentals, to Lia's graceful, echoing vocals. I cannot think of a more perfect song to capture the theme of flying. I was absolutely blown away when I heard it the first time. (no pun intended hehe)

Agree with everyone on Angel Beats. I love Yui's rock version but Kanade playing the piano in the original one is a lot more memorable.
kenshinflyer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
I think the key to any good piece of music, regardless of whether it has lyrics or not, is if it can hit you in the heart and connect with you on a strong emotional level.

This is the one thing folks in my place don't understand. I've been listening mostly to Japanese songs, and they ask me if I understood the language, and I would reply, "The music will tell your heart what it wants you to know."

Yes, Angel Beats offers perfect examples. "Brave Song" is one example. Two versions. I understand each of them simply by listening to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1