• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Humanity Has Declined (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volibear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote

Humanity Has Declined (TV)

Source: Light Novels (completed @ 9 volumes + 2 specials, written by Romeo Tanaka, illustrated by Tōru Yamasaki [2007–2011], Sunaho Tobe)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: AIC A.S.T.A.

Genres: adventure, comedy, science fiction, supernatural

Themes: amnesia, androids, fairy tales, magical creatures, non-linear narrative, politics, post-apocalyptic, school

Plot Summary: Several centuries after humanity declined, food is scare and resources are highly valued. The most prosperous species are "Fairies." A nameless girl, becomes a UN arbitrator between human and fairy kind. One day, her village receives products made by a company called FairyCo. The girl, her grandfather, and a nameless boy decide to go to the factory to investigate the products and discover their origins.

Air Date & Platform:
July 1, 2012 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll, HIDIVE

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes
----------------------------------

Ep. 1
First thought: I Love It!!
Second Thought: Wait, what the hell did i just watch?

A little thrown by this one myself. I'm not entirely sure what it set out to do, at first it seemed like a more serious series with a light comedy side as the spoiler[world is in decline for humans, starvation is becoming a real threat due to food shortages] and then suddenly spoiler[i'm watching a headless plucked chicken running around shaking its booty in defiance of everyone trying to capture it], so yeah.....

Art-wise, i liked it, kind of like Tsuritama but with more pastel colours if i had to put it into words. The OP and ED were pretty good too, liked nano.RIPE's recent openings that i've heard (Hanasaku Iroha's 2 OPs and Sankarea's OP) and expected myself to like this one as well.

Will i continue with it? At least for a couple of episodes, it generated a certain level of intrigue with me as to exactly what its going to become, cause right now it mostly just leaves you wondering what it was you watched, especially this part.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm just really happy to see a solid WTF anime that isn't as overbearing as WTF anime typically are.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Ok...this show deserves a WTF Award if it continues being weird.

spoiler[The talking slice of bread tearing itself and then spurting out "blood" is one of the most distributing things I've ever seen from a cutesy looking show.] Seriously, WTF was that? Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
This show makes me wish that people would adapt more works by Romeo Tanaka to the screen. He's one of the best visual novel authors of all time, so you'd think they'd at least try to make an anime of Cross Channel, or something. It would be hellishly difficult but maybe it would be worth it?

I dunno, I thought this episode was very badly paced and ultimately pretty misshapen plotwise. On the other hand, there were so many great moments and observations on the part of the characters that it nearly made up for everything. Humanity has Declined is a bit of a mess right now, but at the moment it is an extraordinary interesting mess that I hope will be getting even better with time. Definitely the most anticipated show of the season for me!

Okay, I can't resist, here are some of my favorite scenes in this episode:

spoiler[
-"The outcome is determined before the meeting begins."
-Everything with the fairies. Never has horrifying things coming out of the mouths of adorable sprites been so hilarious
-On that note, fairy boxes! For controlling fairy reproduction!
-The Mediator cheerfully asking the three girls not to tell anyone about the deplucked chicken, while carefully manipulating them into carrying out her will
-Everything with Assistant. "Yes, he only grades using three categories. Yes, his camera shutter sounds like a gunshot in order to prevent it from being used as a hidden camera"
-The unfortunate death of bread-bot. The last line made that scene.]
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quote
The plot summary and premise of this show just made me laugh my ass off...good thing I set my drink down before reading that.

I mean, really? An anime about declining birthrate? Only in Japan Laughing
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote
The birth rate issue's actually got little to do with the plot. You'll probably want to secure your drink before watching, though.
ct760ster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
The Fairy Co. looks eerily similar to the Industria factory from 'Future Boy Conan' even as close to automatization and resource usage like morphing scavenged refuse into bread. The story premise is very similar with a world population in the verge of a post-apocalyptic extinction Idea
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Prior to watching: A show about fairies in a world where the human birthrate has declined that humans are facing some sort of Apocalypse. Probably be a bit of fun, though I doubt that I will like a lot of it.

After watching: Oh my god, this is my so far favorite this season, I was expecting something like Kobato, but they took it further. I was just going to laugh at things like the door's noise, it is kind of like that cat god show, playing between cutesy, and messed up satire. At first there were little things like her the creepy looks on their faces, some pretty nutty stuff coming out of their mouths, spoiler[already skinned chicken running around, the the main character's manipulation, and that factory.]

Don't be surprised if I am using a loaf of bread as an avatar some time soon, that spoiler[robot loaf talking about garbage being used to make the bread, and the part where it kills itself] were hilarious. pic
Reminds me of something from Magical Witch Punie-chan.

Oh and it was implied that she had her hair cut because of spoiler[a bet, likely with the fairies.]
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Going into this, my list of anticipated shows had an "Eh" next to this. The announcement of a calm post-apocalyptic setting through text and pictures reminded me of Aria the Animation, and with the addition of fairies that could make this show oh so gimmicky I thought to myself, "I'll give it an episode".

After having experienced all of the WTF elements mentioned above, I'll give it another episode, but I'm still skeptical about it's relatedness to my tastes.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:03 am Reply with quote
All I can think with the Faries is "Let's get everyone who voiced a Tachikoma in SAC and go with that for the dub"
誤称

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote
I hated this show. Despised. Was not amused. Will not watch more.

And apparently, I'm unique in my reaction.
Dalvyn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:13 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
I hated this show. Despised. Was not amused. Will not watch more.

And apparently, I'm unique in my reaction.

I haven't watched it yet but it seems intriguing... From the sounds of it I may like it better... under certain... umm... influences...

Trippy shows need a trippy state of mind.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:59 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
The birth rate issue's actually got little to do with the plot. You'll probably want to secure your drink before watching, though.

I'm informed on the issue, thanks though.

OK Zac's review convinced me to watch and wow I do not regret it. This show is ready to pack some punches in bites-sized, cutsie fairies. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this one to see where it goes, I have high expectations.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:26 am Reply with quote
what the (bleep) did i just watch?!

sure seem like regular show with fairies & regular girl then here come naked headless chicken?!

& that bread-bot sure look ok then pull with red liquid?!

ok who came up with show is likely on wacky pack & yet i’m so watching this now nuff said i’m in.

& if get a dub cue YES YES YES on it.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote
Watched this yesterday and wow. This is weird and fascinating. They basically left themselves so many opportunities to go crazy with what they incorporate.

And hey, even the almighty KLAC is on this one so well should know that we are witnessing something great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10