• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japanese dubs of American cartoons

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Earlier, I made a thread about which american cartoons are popular in Japan. This one's about how the Japanese dub them. While I prefer to watch anime dubbed, I'm interested in how the Japanese dub American cartoons.

I know that Ranma and Inuyasha's VA also voices Bugs bunny and Kyle from South Park.

In the PPG dub, they made 2 ops. and 2 eds. I saw the 2nd op. and 2nd ed and I thought they were good. In the ed., they showed a bunch of PPG fanart. Also, just like their animes, after the ed. the Powerpuff girls introduce the next episode.

The 2nd op and ed are sung by Megumi Hayashibara. I think she's one of the PPG but I've never seen the Jp. dub so I don't know. A friend of mine who saw the Japanese dub told me that it was pretty good. She told me that the cuteness thing was still there and a lot of the voices were similar to the english dub.

I saw clips of the Japanese dub of the Simpsons. I can't really judge the acting since I don't speak Japanese but I thought that the voices of the characters didn't sound right.

Has anyone seen Jp. dubs of Am. Cartoons and what did you guys think?
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I know they did a Japanese dub for Beast Wars (technically Canadian) and they dumbed down the dub so they could market it to younger kids. Kinda ironic.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know that. I always thought that because of how the censors in Japan aren't as strict as the ones in America, any American cartoon could run uncut. I guess I was wrong.
R.G.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:17 am Reply with quote
There's also the fact that the maximal Airazor (Changes from robot to falcon) , which was a female in the original , was made into a male in the japanese version.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I looked at the encyclopedia, and it said that they were trying to make Beast Wars more comedic.

Looks like even dubbers in Japan can act like 4kids sometimes.
Lupin_333

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
I didn't know that. I always thought that because of how the censors in Japan aren't as strict as the ones in America, any American cartoon could run uncut. I guess I was wrong.

I guess it's not really censorship so much as it is changing it for marketibility. I hear that the Japanese treat violence like Americans treat sex so that could be an editing factor as well (Case in point- FPS games sell like poop in Japan, but look around any gaming store and try and find a Dating Sim, I dare you).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I see what you're saying.

One question though about Airazor. Wasn't there a romance between her and Tigertron? I haven't seen BW for a long time. If there was, and Beast Wars was made and dubbed in Japan first, then Transformers messageboards would be filled with crazy yaoi fangirls.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Yea, there was a romance there, but it really only culminated untill right before they were (spoiler I guess) fused together permanantly. I don't know if they edited the dialouge and the scenes of them holding hands enough to remove a posible shounen-ai relationship.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:36 pm Reply with quote
YOU KNOW THE APOCALYPSE IS ON US WHEN:
The Japanese starting complaining about the poorly made quality of Japanese-dubbed American shows, and scream for Japanese fansubs of American shows. Laughing

I SO can't wait for the day . . .
linlinchan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:50 am Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
The Japanese starting complaining about the poorly made quality of Japanese-dubbed American shows, and scream for Japanese fansubs of American shows. Laughing

Well, I think if there were enough of a market for American shows, they would be complaining like this. I asked my fiance about the dubbing of South Park, for example... and was met with a "But I only ever watch it subtitled because I don't like watching American shows dubbed..." I'm assuming that this is a common attitude of adults the world over.
Jimmy Crackers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:37 pm Reply with quote
linlinchan wrote:
The Frankman wrote:

Well, I think if there were enough of a market for American shows, they would be complaining like this. I asked my fiance about the dubbing of South Park, for example... and was met with a "But I only ever watch it subtitled because I don't like watching American shows dubbed..." I'm assuming that this is a common attitude of adults the world over.

Okay, I pretty much knew already that South Park is actually shown in Japan. What I want to know is, was the "Chimpokomon" episode shown over there?

I admit that episode really cracked me up. However, I also understand that this particular episode made some rather offensive remarks about the Japanese, Mostly the quips about spoiler[Japanese men having small penises], and spoiler[That whole "Chimpokomon" thing being a ploy to brainwash all the children into making another assault on Pearl Harbor]. By default, I'll assume that this episode was not shown over there. However, if it was, I hope the Japanese have a good sense of humor and didn't take it personally.

Though I imagine, the Japanese probably make fun of us on a regular basis, but probably not to the extent of the "Chimpokomon" episode.

Last edited by Jimmy Crackers on Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Animefan16

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:43 pm Reply with quote
If they did show that episode in Japan, I wonder how they handle the scenes where the characters speak Japanese. I assume, that in the Japanese dub, they speak english?
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Jimmy Crackers wrote:
t probably not to the extent of the "Chimpokomon" episode.

you also forgot that chinpo is japanese slang for penis.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Twage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:11 am Reply with quote
Thunderbirds was airing while I was there. Missing it is one of my great regrets.

OK, not really. But it would've been cool, in an extremely bizarre way.

If a fansub group really got some guts, they'd fansub Reboot or something into Japanese and stick it out there. I wonder what the response would be.

linlinchan wrote:

Fiance? Dude, congratulations! Took you long enough. Wink Where and when?
Jimmy Crackers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:14 am Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
If they did show that episode in Japan, I wonder how they handle the scenes where the characters speak Japanese. I assume, that in the Japanese dub, they speak english?

Good point. I assume that the language stays in Japanese, because it just wouldn't make sense for the Japanese to speak English. It kind of defeats the purpose of them being Japanese, y'know what I mean?

Well, to be honest, I'm not sure how this particular episode would be displayed to the Japanese audience, seeming as how there are not many of our shows being imported over there that has actual, bonifide Japanese dialogue, or I don't think, anyways.

Oh, and to cyrax777, I goofed. I thought it was "Chimpo", when it really should be "Chinpo" which, interestingly enough, is a joke in and of itself. Interesting..........
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2