• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cameron Talks About Battle Angel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I doubt Leonardo DiCaprio will be in it, since sci-fi isn't really his oeuvre, but I think DiCaprio is a fairly decent actor. He was perfectly cast in Catch Me If You Can, one of my top three movies of 2002 (along with Lilo & Stitch and About Schmidt), and I like what I've seen of him thus far as Howard Hughes in The Aviator. (And my brother thinks The Beach is a vastly underrated film, though I thought it was just weird myself.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Andre Linoge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
This is the same guy that produced Titanic, one of the most horrible movies of all time (Did we really need a 3 Hour movie about some ship sinking?).

Until I hear Cameron doesn't cast DiCrapio in any BAA role and produce a quality product, i'm remaining completely skeptical.

If Titanic is that high on your list of the worst movies ever then you really haven't seen many movies. The Titanic disaster is one of the most ironic and dramatic events in all history. It was the event that shattered the faith of an era that felt it had solved all the world's problems. Its a true life allegory about man's fallibility and his arrogance and the flaws with a blind faith in the power of technology to overcome all obstacles, who can't appreciate that. I have faith that Cameron can make a good movie with Battle Angel.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Just because a movie is about a weighty subject doesn't mean it's a weighty or good film. I thought Titantic was very good at some things and really bad at others, but was neither good enough to be a great film nor bad enough to be dismissed as a bad film. I'm sure Cameron will make a visually stunning film that will cost enough to feed every starving child in the world for a year. If he makes it. Beyond that, I dunno.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the "wait for the details" people.

Cameron is a good enough director to do some justice to a live-action Battle Angel.

But, if it's going to be based on the beginning of the GUNNM series ... ADV already published that. It's in the can and done.

Cameron should focus a bit more on an overall story that the two-OAV Battle Angel didn't go over -- more on the mystery of who Gally used to be.

(Also, he should consider following the Lord of the Rings tactic, and make a movie that can be long enough to remain true to the manga, while cutting it down into multi-movies. I feel the manga story is both interesting enough and has enough material for them to do this -- they just need to take a chance, stick to a solid story, and just do it.)
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Titanic was a bit too chick-flickish for me. I don't really like the movie either. I won't say its bad though. And perhaps, Cameron was just out of his element.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I think, at best, they'll make one and have open contingency plans for the sequels should the first one not flop at the box office.

I don't think they'll risk shooting several films of an untested (with a general audience) franchise simultaneously like with LOTR, because, umm,

preexisting fan base for LOTR > (* 100) preexisting fan base for BAA

And that's probably an underestimate on LOTR's side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:19 am Reply with quote
Andre Linoge wrote:

If Titanic is that high on your list of the worst movies ever then you really haven't seen many movies. The Titanic disaster is one of the most ironic and dramatic events in all history. It was the event that shattered the faith of an era that felt it had solved all the world's problems. Its a true life allegory about man's fallibility and his arrogance and the flaws with a blind faith in the power of technology to overcome all obstacles, who can't appreciate that. I have faith that Cameron can make a good movie with Battle Angel.

So what does having hot steamy sex in a Model T Doctors Coupe have to do with 1,400+ people dying?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:34 am Reply with quote
Speaking of pointless sex scenes, I always wondered why Kyle Reese bangs Sarah Conner, because it means John Conner won't be born, and won't be able to help send Reese into the past, assuming Reese is also born in the remade future. But who cares about paradoxes when you can see T&A in-between things blowing up?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:49 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Speaking of pointless sex scenes, I always wondered why Kyle Reese bangs Sarah Conner, because it means John Conner won't be born, and won't be able to help send Reese into the past, assuming Reese is also born in the remade future. But who cares about paradoxes when you can see T&A in-between things blowing up?

John Conner is the son of Kyle and Sarah.

(and if not... condoms perhaps?)
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:55 am Reply with quote
That doesn't make sense though, because John and Kyle are roughly the same age in the future.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:07 am Reply with quote
Dam people I can't believe that your comparing James Cameron to that shitty director Paul W. Anderson. Evil or Very Mad

Give the film a chane this won't be titanic type of film. Cameron is going back to his "roots" by that I mean a movie that has sci fi+ action+strong female lead character which is Cameron's style of movie that he used to make Aliens,Terminator 1 and 2 and True Lies. Cool

Cameron has commented if the movie is succesful there will be at least two sequels so I see the movie ending open ended for a possible sequel. So I hope the movie does end up being a success.
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:55 am Reply with quote
BeyonderZ wrote:
It should be noted that He is doing this for the soul reason that he can't come up with any thing original .. and this is the same set up that he tried with that Fox "Battle Angel" type show... Cameron is a hack... and now all the Fanboys will get to see this great manga dipped in shit and placed onthe line with other movies like AVP and RE. Enjoy... you fat bastards

What's with all the Cameron bashing? I don't care what you think about "Titanic" (in my opinion it was a great movie, except I didn't like the first part of it), he's a talented director who made some great action movies ("Terminator 2", "Aliens"). He might have a big ego and you might not like his movies but calling him a hack is not only uncalled for, it shows that you have no idea what makes a good director. Either way, it's too early to know how good or bad this movie will be.
By the way, Cameron had nothing to do with either "AvP" or "RE" movies. Try Paul W.S. Anderson.
He's an anime fan too (he especially liked "Ghost in the Shell"), so maybe he'll stay true to the manga. I'm willing to give this movie a chance.

J-Syxx wrote:
Cameron talks alot of BS. He also said somewhat recently that he wanted to do another Aliens movie. I wouldn't bet on it.

And this is BS because...? I suggest next time you try to provide some support for your arguments. Why should I doubt he at least "wants" to do another "Alien" movie? Besides, making a movie can mean many things (directing, producing, etc...).

Just my 2 cents.
Andre Linoge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:04 pm Reply with quote
A scene that lasted barely half a minute. Dear God Cameron should be drawn and quartered for it. Its a fictionalization of the event like Gone with the Wind fictionalized Gettysburg, and its not even the first to do this. Cameron did the best he could with the historical aspects while still maintaning the fictional plotline. He certainly did better than most. Take, for example, the 1953 film with Clifton Webb. Historically speaking, this movie is a joke. It didn't even have roles assigned for such key figures as Ismay or Thomas Andrews. When the ship strikes the berg it simply sinks. There is nothing about the arrogance nor anything about the complacency, not a whisper about how Titanic was supposed to be unsinkable. Just the Sturgess family and their troubles along with 1950's ragtime music and the Titanic exploding as she sinks. I won't even go into the 1996 miniseries, also a fictionalization, with its rapetastic perfromance by Tim Curry along with George C. Scott's Pattonesque portrayal of Captain Smith.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Andre Linoge wrote:
Take, for example, the 1953 film with Clifton Webb. Historically speaking, this movie is a joke. It didn't even have roles assigned for such key figures as Ismay or Thomas Andrews. When the ship strikes the berg it simply sinks. There is nothing about the arrogance nor anything about the complacency, not a whisper about how Titanic was supposed to be unsinkable.

Before the discovery of the Titanic wreckage in 1985, there was alot of debate on whether the ship sank "intact" or broke into two (as correctly portrayed in the movie Confused ). Some of the Titanic survivors were even at odds over how the ship went down before the discovery.

One clip of 7 Titanic Survivors from the 1970's had all of them state without fail that "Titanic Sank Intact." But some survivors countered that Titanic sank in two.

The 1953 film was more or less based on such info and given enough "artistic license" to make 4Kids entertainment proud.
Andre Linoge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Andre Linoge wrote:
Take, for example, the 1953 film with Clifton Webb. Historically speaking, this movie is a joke. It didn't even have roles assigned for such key figures as Ismay or Thomas Andrews. When the ship strikes the berg it simply sinks. There is nothing about the arrogance nor anything about the complacency, not a whisper about how Titanic was supposed to be unsinkable.

Before the discovery of the Titanic wreckage in 1985, there was alot of debate on whether the ship sank "intact" or broke into two (as correctly portrayed in the movie Confused ). Some of the Titanic survivors were even at odds over how the ship went down before the discovery.

One clip of 7 Titanic Survivors from the 1970's had all of them state without fail that "Titanic Sank Intact." But some survivors countered that Titanic sank in two.

The 1953 film was more or less based on such info and given enough "artistic license" to make 4Kids entertainment proud.

It is true that the general belief before the discovery in 1985 was that Titanic had sank in one piece. That was why people thought they could raise the ship by stuffing her full of ping pong balls (don't think anyone ever worked out how many it would take though). Yet, even with that uncertainty, the 1953 film was more artistic license than historic fact. It is even more unforgiveable when a mere 5 years later the British make A Night to Remember based on the same currently available information about the disaster. It didn't have the boilers exploding near the end, no passengers on deck covered in soot from blasts below deck, and definitely didn't have Robert Wagner doing the Navajo Rag.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5