• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nike Ads Spark Graffiti Complaints in Singapore

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:51 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Hey, its me again. Definantly never visiting Singapore though:

Quote:
The penalty for smuggling gum into the country is one year in jail, and a 10,000 Singapore dollar ($5,500) fine.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3512498.stm

I don't think the world in Logan's Run was that harsh.

Why is there such a harsh law for gum, and why is gum even treated worse than cocain?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:30 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
And I love how bubble gum is on the same level as cocaine in Singapore.

kusanagi-sama wrote:
Why is there such a harsh law for gum, and why is gum even treated worse than cocain?

http://www.cnb.gov.sg/ENFORCEMENT/index.asp?page=63

Umm, their are much more harsh with drug dealers. Anyone convicted of selling or trafficking 30 grams or more of cocaine receives the mandatory death sentence.

I'm sure this further cements you opinion of the city...

But how many people die in your city every year from Cocaine overdoses and cocaine related crimes? Perhaps these kinds of laws would save lives in the United States... or perhaps they would have if they'd been enacted earlier. Singapore's official stance on the drug laws in the United States is that they are "Irresponsably Permisive."

The first person to ever be arrested for Cocaine possession in Singapore was a popular actress arrested in 2001, fortunately for her she had under 3 grams on her.

Since then there have been more, but they are rare enough that most Cocaine busts in Singapore are very big news.

As for the bubblegum, yeah, that's overly harsh IMHO. But there are reasons for it.

The Singaporean government sees it this way, Bubblegum is something that doesn't exist normally in Singapore, so to get it into the country or manufacture it, it requires a pre-meditated criminal act. It's not like J-Walking, where people can just decide to do it and be doing it the next second (For a similar reference, see the difference in US law between pre-meditated murder and manslaughter). Anyways, so the person who is going to import/manufacture chewing gum ust be very motivated to do so if he's going to go through the hassle of leaving the country to import or setting up a lab to manufacture. Therefore, to dissuade this potential criminal, who is very motivated, the Singaporean government knows that a slap on the wrist won't work, so they set up laws that are equally "motivating," only, "counter-motivative." These laws are aimed at manufacturers and smugglers, most people cought with possesion get, if I remember correctly, caned.

Don't forget that in the Western world, we have smuggling laws that result in some very nasty fines for bringing contraband over the border. You could easilly end up with a $10,000+ fine abd criminal record for trying to import something that would only get you a $75 ticket on the street.

-t
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Umm, their are much more harsh with drug dealers. Anyone convicted of selling or trafficking 30 grams or more of cocaine receives the mandatory death sentence.

I'm sure this further cements you opinion of the city...

Yes, and I think I also win the debate aswell. Pure lunacy. Even the most hardcore Republicans don't think drug abuse is a crime worthy of death. I don't know why you're still defending them either.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:58 am Reply with quote
I'd say that you've hardly won the debate in question, but rather, you are too stubborn to recognize the validity of the points presented to you.

While it is certain that the laws in Singapore may be harsh, you cannot question or break down how effective it is either. If their laws were ineffective, and you could prove it as such, then I'd have whole-heartedly agreed with you that you would have won the debate, but so far, you've proven nothing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:05 pm Reply with quote
But that was never my argument in the first place. Never once did I claim that they were inefective. My argument is that they are wrong. A year behind bars for bubble gum, death for cocaine. Are you guys serious?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:14 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
But that was never my argument in the first place. Never once did I claim that they were inefective. My argument is that they are wrong. A year behind bars for bubble gum, death for cocaine. Are you guys serious?
That is your opinion. In their opinion it works so why not ? You have need only to look down on the pavment of your own town, or city to see why chewing gum is such a hated item in Singapore.Wink
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:27 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Yes, and I think I also win the debate aswell. Pure lunacy. Even the most hardcore Republicans don't think drug abuse is a crime worthy of death.

This is Drug trafficking (30+ grams), not abuse. They aren't executing junkies, they execute people who try to bring cocaine into the country. Many countries have the death penalty for drug trafficking.

Personally I think most drug dealers should be shot. And I'm way more left wing than any republican. (The American Left is quite right of center when compared to most other first world nations).

And, no, I don't think you've won anything. You've yet to make a point other than repeat the same "this isn't civilized" tripe over and over. What you have established, is that you have an opinion, an opinion you have every right to, and that opinion isn't going to change. That's something worth respecting, but winning an arguement only happen when you convince other people to change their mind, or you prove them wrong (the second can't happen in debates regarding opinion).

-t
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Not everyone who sells drugs deserves to be shot. Some do it to feed their children. The death penalty should only be reserved for murder.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Those who do it in order to feed their kids? What kind of example are they setting for their children? What kind of parent takes the risk of being put in jail where they can't take care of their children once there? Saying they are doing it for their kids is one of the biggest cop outs I've ever heard. It only sounds like an excuse to me, in order for them to try to shirk their responsibility for what they are doing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:37 pm Reply with quote
When you're black, poor, and in the ghetto you don't always have the oportunity to make a salary you can live off of. Selling crack is easy money, so some do choose it as a way to put food on their tables. This is a fact. Do I think these are good people, no. I completely disagree with the concept of selling drugs. I hate drugs. However these people shouldn't be executed. Time in jail is punishment enough.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:01 pm Reply with quote
While it may be easy money, it doesn't change the fact that there is almost always a way to make an honest dollar - and suggesting an easy buck to many who are poor is an insult to many of those who have chosen to work hard all their lives - there are also those who were once that destitue who have become successful and whose lives speak for themselves.

Stating it's the "easy" way suggests an alternative, which means it's not as if it's the only way.

This is why I said it's a cop-out and nothing more than an empty excuse.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:19 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
When you're black, poor, and in the ghetto you don't always have the oportunity to make a salary you can live off of. Selling crack is easy money, so some do choose it as a way to put food on their tables.

What you have said is an offense to law-abiding citizens under financial stress. Reducing the punishment because of such seemingly "right" reasons (e.g. kids to feed) is encouraging criminal acts and gives a big slap on the faces of hard-working people, telling them "hey you idiots who work on three jobs and over 80 hours per week. I sell crack to feed my kids, so the judge sympathized me and sentenced me only five years behind bars. If I behave well in jail I can get paroled in three years. Not a bad deal."

In addition to law enforcement, government welfare divisions and / or philanthropist organizations should build hospitals and schools, clean up streets, provide housing units, and encourage "back to school" by scholarships and tuition reduction, etc. The goal is to draw a picture of hope that you can feed your family, even become quite successful (there are numerous success stories), by NOT conducting illegal acts, no matter how poor you are when you were born. Call it carrot-and-stick, but that's not only effective but also morally correct.

EDIT: I see Godaistudios beats me. Wink

Last edited by dormcat on Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I may have beaten you to it, but you supplemented it even more than I considered. Not bad at all, I'd say. Wink
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What you have said is an offense to law-abiding citizens under financial stress. Reducing the punishment because of such seemingly "right" reasons (e.g. kids to feed) is encouraging criminal acts and gives a big slap on the faces of hard-working people, telling them "hey you idiots who work on three jobs and over 80 hours per week. I sell crack to feed my kids, so the judge sympathized me and sentenced me only five years behind bars. If I behave well in jail I can get paroled in three years. Not a bad deal."

In addition to law enforcement, government welfare divisions and / or philanthropist organizations should build hospitals and schools, clean up streets, provide housing units, and encourage "back to school" by scholarships and tuition reduction, etc. The goal is to draw a picture of hope that you can feed your family, even become quite successful (there are numerous success stories), by NOT conducting illegal acts, no matter how poor you are when you were born. Call it carrot-and-stick, but that's not only effective but also morally correct.

My point was these people don't deserve to die, not that they shouldn't get light sentences. If you think that there aren't any scenarios like the one I described in the United States, you are wrong. Government services aren't solving all the problems in the inner city. I'm not saying I agree with what they are doing, but it is reality. I don't think they should get light sentences though. For drug use, yes. The focus should be on solving their addiciton. However, for drug sale and traficing, I'm fine with lengthy sentences (well, atleast for drugs harder than Mary J which isn't even as bad as legal alcohol). If you think they should be executed on the other hand, than I have to say I really pity you as a human being. If thats anyone's opinion here, please stay away from US politics. We don't need to degenerate into a society that values control over mercy and empathy.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:35 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Not everyone who sells drugs deserves to be shot. Some do it to feed their children.
How many drug dealers do you know who "feed their Children " on their profits?
Quote:
The death penalty should only be reserved for murder.
Knowingly supplying and selling a substance that is known to cause misery and death, is murder in my book and deserves a death sentence, but that just my opinion. Rolling Eyes
It is also my opinion the the drug laws as they stand in both the US and UK are far too liberal and the sentences being handed down are proven not to work as a deterrent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5