• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Binbougami ga! (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volibear

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote

Binbougami ga!

Plot Summary: Sakura Ichiko is a 16-year-old girl who leads a charmed life and is blessed with beauty, brains, and health. She has an abundance of "Happiness Energy", which can make people happy, but at the cost of absorbing all the Happiness Energy from her surroundings. She has caused the energy balance of the world to become unbalanced and because of this, she becomes the target of a Poverty God named Momiji. Momiji's goal is to remove Ichiko's power of absorbing other people's Happiness Energy and to return all the energy she has taken to its rightful place.

(?) Episodes
Adventure, Magic, Comedy, Supernatural, Fantasy

Ep. 1
Hmm, wasn't sure about this one, looked kinda like it could be the cheesy, ecchi series of the season when i first looked at it but i'm glad it didn't turn out to be that series. Plenty of comedy throughout and i wouldn't say it was ecchi, it seemed to flirt with the idea of introducing more like some series do but thankfully it held back and kept it to a bare minimum.

Characters were good, kinda unpredictable as well. Also looks like more will be introduced in the coming episode or two, just 2 as the main cast seems a little risky for a series that relies on comedy, more characters means more options to introduce laughs into a show.

Story isn't overly fantastic, its not really anymore than a standard, bare-bones story used as the base for other things (the comedy in this case), so i doubt it will win anyone over on that basis.

Overall, gonna stick with this one too, its fun for the viewer without resorting to cheap, ecchi material every 30 seconds like other series similar to it. Characters are likeable. Art, animation and soundtrack are all solid enough. So i see no real reason to drop this at the moment. And anyways, who wouldn't want to tune in to see Sakura acting all cute again Anime hyper
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
This shows seems like a non romantic version of Nyaruko-san since there was a lot of anime references like Medaka, Goku, and Vegeta. I like Momiji the best because misfortune owns.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Dat Medaka in the show. Well, might watch this for the lulz as it seems quite hilarious this season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to do this thread, but I've been sick and I haven't seen it yet....

Anyways, this sounds like this seasons Ben-to (under the radar comedy that's surprisingly better than it sounds and looks), which is exactly what I thought about it when I first saw it on the season charts. Of course, for me, that's a great thing since I LOVED Ben-to. I'm also happy to see gg is doing the subs, since I really like them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
The first episode gets a big thumbs-up from me, as I found it to be a fun execution of an interesting concept. If the second episode doesn't drop off then this will likely be one of my keepers for the season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Parse Error

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe it, this means both of the shows I was looking forward to that are out so far didn't leave me feeling the least bit disappointed. It seems as though I must be draining someone else's good fortune!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
This shows seems like a non romantic version of Nyaruko-san since there was a lot of anime references like Medaka, Goku, and Vegeta.
That is what I was thinking, except it is not really like a copy of the show, but nearly the opposite: hate at first sight, there to make things worse, one should be completely unlikeable and the other acts pretty bad herself, and what I am thinking will be a lack of romance.

I am a sucker for references to other anime, and this one has hooked me, and I like that it feels unpredictable, although I don't really like the idea that they will try and guilt us into liking miss fortune. But we could see the Medaka reference as a way that they are playing on the character type of being perfect. But I honestly thought that the hypothetical future was pretty awful, but there will have to be a balance of fortune somewhere.

Momiji has a certain charm that I am interested to see how it will play out.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:14 am Reply with quote
Pleasantly surprised by this show. It could have been achingly stupid and content with just playing out tired tropes and not bringing anything new to the table, but it actually has a fair amount of wit and surprises. Like when Lucky Tits is in the bathroom stall listening to the other girls slag her, I thought for sure we spoiler[were going to get the standard, "oh poor me" routine, but they nicely subverted the moment.] Also I thought the episode did a good job of blending humour and genuine emotion. Well done!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:33 am Reply with quote
Forgot to mention that Momiji reminded me a bit of the poverty god Shamo from Nekogami. In that series Shamo provided the part of giving some bad luck that was humorous, so I am not as new to it as I thought it was.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2
Well we get the standard magical person transfers to the class class, although I don't think I remember an introduction like, deadpan indeed. Just need to spoiler[talk about periods to get characters to wish it to end], only see that elsewhere in Seitokai Yakuindomo. Well we had Bobby to replace the butler, he spoiler[feigned being a lost foreigner so that people would pity him, but was really some sort of traveling Buddhist priest, who is a little sexually frustrated.]

One of my favourite bits have to be the references, even if I don't directly understand them all I find the funny. Which made the spoiler[camera] bit a highlight for the Moka.Some of the bonus 'comics', are nice too, like how she chose her uniform, or the mouse pad bit Laughing .
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:02 am Reply with quote
Hmm, there's a mini-trend going on this season with me wherein I see the first episode of a series and really dig it (Humanity is in Decline, Natsuyuki Rendevous, this one, etc) but then the second eppie is kind of a let-down. That's the way I feel here. There was some funny stuff in episode 2, but I'm already getting tired of the dynamic between the girls. They really need to start bringing in some other recurring characters and soon.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
2eps of this yea sorta like hang around what else to watch.

really shout-out, parody, gag, lol, kana hana Playing Against Type, etc & yet short series all in for me.
Dalvyn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I just started watching this and I think it's got some charm. I was really afraid it was going to be really echii, and I'm glad it isn't.

But really, they had me at spoiler[To be honest that sounds like a [expletive] pain.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 3
So they kind of dialed the laughs down, but upped the character development, having Ichiko's jerk attitude come back on her like that. It might actually go somewhere with this plot, especially if they keep the Keita guy and his family.

And Momiji felt more like a god this time, she felt confident and cool in being able to work the situation in pointing out her shortcomings and letting her help with the situation. Then they had to ruin it.

I actually noticed one of the parts of the Nadeshiko girl, but the another with just a skirt is impossible.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:36 am Reply with quote
Liked episode three a lot. I was actually surprised at how much of spoiler[a Cuntessa Tittyko was with the Po' Family. She's never really been portrayed as that much of a bitch before.] Anyway, it was nice that there were other characters for Tittyko to interact with - didn't make the show feel as claustrophobic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5