• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood OVA Blu-Ray + DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurohei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:09 am Reply with quote
It was cool at first but why must every FUNimation anime being release is in both Blu-ray and DVD? I only need one. Seems like a waste of disks.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:47 am Reply with quote
The 4koma theater was the main reason I bought this, knowing it would be dubbed by funi and usually when they get a laid back work its pretty funny and off cuff, which it was.

As for the OVA's they were nice for collectors value and I appreciate having them dubbed. If I had to say which I liked more I'd orginize it like this:

Izumi's Mt. riggs training>Another man's battlefeild>Simple people>blind alchemist
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:04 am Reply with quote
The OVAs were pretty good, but I was disappointed by the lack of backstories from Xing. They never showed the reasons for Lin Yao's and May's journeys to Amestris besides a short comment.
Stullz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
It was cool at first but why must every FUNimation anime being release is in both Blu-ray and DVD? I only need one. Seems like a waste of disks.

One reason is the business standpoint. This way the only have 1 SKU to worry about, and one package/marketing etc... to deal with.

On the consumer side. Not everyone has a blu-ray player yet. Also for ease of viewing. A combo pack can be viewed just about anywhere, rather than just in one location. (especially when there is the digital copy as well, though not in this case)

(I have a laptop that I view DVD's on all the time and my PS3 for Blu-Ray, but being able to watch what I want when I want, and not being tied down to a single location to do so, is a huge benefit IMO)
barrelroller

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
Just be glad this release was way better than the previous Fullmetal Alchemist OVA release.

The OVA's were good for the most part. I think I enjoyed one with Teacher (god, I already forgot her name) the most. Everything else was okay. The Comic Theater as mentioned was really hit or miss, but for the ones that really hit, were hilarious. My favorite is the one with Scar and Bradley revealing their real names. I can only imagine that scene alone taking several takes but man, I loved it.

I got for $12 which I feel was worth it for both a sleeve, and a combo pack. The only negative is that every FMA Brotherhood release at this point was in Blu case (including the movie which was also a combo pack) but Funimation decided to put this release in a DVD case making it look like the oddball next to my FMA Brotherhood Part 1-5 and Movie blus. I can live with it, but some people were really upset about this.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
I was hesitant at first in getting this set because of the one hour running time but since it was given a much better positive review compared to the previous OVA collection from the first series, I am considering getting this set to complete my Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood collection.

Plus, I seen all of the 4koma gag skits and their all worth my time for a great laugh!
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Stullz wrote:
Kurohei wrote:

One reason is the business standpoint. This way the only have 1 SKU to worry about, and one package/marketing etc... to deal with.

On the consumer side. Not everyone has a blu-ray player yet. Also for ease of viewing. A combo pack can be viewed just about anywhere, rather than just in one location. (especially when there is the digital copy as well, though not in this case)

(I have a laptop that I view DVD's on all the time and my PS3 for Blu-Ray, but being able to watch what I want when I want, and not being tied down to a single location to do so, is a huge benefit IMO)

It also forces consumers into buying bluray, whether they want it or not. That way they can produce more copies and likely get a lower per unit printing cost. They also save money by not having to produce multiple packaging options.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:11 am Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
I was hesitant at first in getting this set because of the one hour running time but since it was given a much better positive review compared to the previous OVA collection from the first series, I am considering getting this set to complete my Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood collection.

Plus, I seen all of the 4koma gag skits and their all worth my time for a great laugh!

All of the stories are based on gaiden chapters written by the creator of Fullmetal Alchemist, and are canon so they are generally much higher quality than the first series OVAs.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
My friend brought this over to my place a couple of weeks back and it was quite the enjoyable viewing. Those Comic Theater ones were just a riot, especially the spoiler[Mustang rap] and I enjoyed the spoiler[manly Chimera clothes ripping introduction]. XD

Last edited by belvadeer on Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
I won't watch the OVA any time soon, but thanks for the review. It's nice to know that when I do get around to it, I'll be appreciating it.

FMA is finally starting to wane from memory to the point I can finally watch FMA:B as a stand-alone series and not make the mistake so many do around here by comparing the two.

Oh, nuts. I just happened to remember this was on Netflix (I don't do Hulu). I may have to re-activate my account to watch it since it's not on CR (but why?).
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I may buy this just to have a complete set of FMA Brotherhood. I'll probably wait for a sale on rightstuf on Funi products.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1