• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Natsuyuki Rendezvous (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Botan24

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
A very nice start, although the whole spoiler["no blanket=cold"] is very overused. However, it helped illustrate just how frustrated Shimao is with his situation. And, I think Rokka calling out her dead husband's name helped Ryousuke realize just how much she still loves/depends/misses Shimao.

I agree that we need more Josei titles like this over here. I get tired of high school aged romances. It was very refreshing to hear an adult woman, Rokka, admit spoiler[she might look forward to having sex with Ryousuke.]

Anyway, I'm in. Can't wait for next Thursday!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Nice gesture spoiler[on ripping up the divorce papers, but the marriage is still over once he dies.]
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:
It was very refreshing to hear an adult woman, Rokka, admit spoiler[she might look forward to having sex with Ryousuke.]

I really enjoyed that particular moment as well.

I'll admit, I really didn't enjoy the first episode of the series and kind of regretted picking it up. It felt a bit stilted and played too much for supernatural hijinks with Shimao.

However, the second episode really helped to improve my opinion. The ghostly hijinks really do annoy me, but now it feels that there is more to the series. The way it tacked grief and the guilt that comes with moving on, jealousy, lost causes, and even how gender and age can completely affect one's belief in what they are socially accepted to do. If it continues to focus on these sorts of elements, I could really see myself loving the series.

As a random aside, for the most part Hazuki doesn't seem all that young to me (I know he's 22, but he looks a bit older). However, the scene when he's running to the flower shop with his backpack on, he looks so much like a high schooler. I think that really helped put me in the mindset of Rokka and her concerns with the age difference.

Last edited by Mylene on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:
I agree that we need more Josei titles like this over here. I get tired of high school aged romances. It was very refreshing to hear an adult woman, Rokka, admit spoiler[she might look forward to having sex with Ryousuke.]

I agree with this completely. It was one of my favorite parts of the episode. I like seeing a woman with a sex drive being treated as normal and healthy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
I've enjoyed the first two episodes of this series. I was a little hesitant, but I'm unlearning my aversion to anime about things that I wasn't into when I first saw it around the age of twelve. Josei seems to have especially much to offer.

Who'd've thought that a show about a love triangle with a ghost would a distant second among [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJYDXQjk1iUtrippy things with rendezvous in the title[/url] that I've seen.

This series has a subdued, low-key tone. There's a certain quiet and watercolor calm to it that's relaxing and endearing. This is enhanced by the structure and editing of each episode. Although they're clearly connected, the first two episodes had a sort of 'short film' feel, as though they could have been made to stand alone with just a few changes. This might fall away as the story accumulates more developments, but I'm enjoying it for now. I also like the slightly loose feel. Instead of being purely continuous, the scenes of each episode feel as though significant, in two senses, time passes between them, some being almost like vignettes. All of this somehow lowers the apparent intensity, but amplifies the sincerity and interest of the series.

I'm not explaining this well, but this is a feel that I always fall for; those seeking a live action American take should watch the film Smoke and the television series Louie. Hell, people should watch Smoke and Louie anyway. They're great.

I like the way that the ghost husband (waaaayyy better than Ghost Dad) is handled. It's surprisingly novel just to see that he hangs a little dorkily in midair with his feet dangling or at odd angles. It's less artificially dignified and more human than one might expect a humanoid ghost to be portrayed. I have high hopes for how his character and rapport with Ryūsuke will develop.

Rokka has a sweet, cute and understated appeal that I like and works well for the series. Like many others, I was dismayed by the limited development given to the girls in Kids on the Slope, but this series seems to be giving Rokka her due.

I didn't care for the way that Rokka's illness played out. I can't imagine falling asleep at a table like that, but I'll accept that she could, but the aftermath made little sense to me. Sore, stiff joints was reasonable, but not the apocalyptic murder 'cold' that ensued. I realize that a homogenous island peoples might be relatively insulated from and less resistant to disease, but would their immune systems really be so frail that sleeping without a blanket borders on being suicidal? Hell, that probably has nothing to do with the immune systems, it's just silly.

willag wrote:
Botan24 wrote:

I agree with this completely. It was one of my favorite parts of the episode. I like seeing a woman with a sex drive being treated as normal and healthy.

I appreciated that too. I also enjoyed seeing Rokka take Ryūsuke hand, then rather than exaggerate the significance of that, simply use it as a springboard for something more aggressive. It's significantly more engaging than the shyly adolescent romance typical of anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Great, now he's a poltergeist and a spirit who can possess bodies. If this jealousy rivalry path is where the anime is headed, I might have to jump train, these characters are not nearly interesting enough to support it. I'm becoming less invested in them in each episode. Maybe if the story kept to the idea of him being completely unable to interact with the real world aside from vision in one man, but the guy's dead and he's not coming back unless some major asspullery is involved. Maybe it'll culminate in a tearful realization where Rokka can finally say some goodbyes again?] Am I just heartless or are these characters kind of boring? I refuse to feel sympathy for the ghost, he's dead, move on, go away. The more you stick around the more I hope MC netorare's your ex-wife in your face.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
the drama continues on
spoiler[
rokka flashback of time atsushi help of carrying her to bed.
rokka feeling slowly better while ryusuke & atsushi still bit hmm on each other.
ryusuke check on rokka cue shake seem to be atsushi ghost doing.
alone talk with idea of atsuhi going body ride on ryusuke.
ryusuke had some talk with rokka's sister in law aka miho about rokka & atsushi history.
after some hmm ryusuke invite rokka with park tickets.
yet rooka cried bit both ryusuke & atsushi wonder?

]

indeed more drama to come.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
So, I just watched eps 2 and 3 and, um, yea, this show got weird. Really weird! spoiler[First Rule of dating a haunted widow: If you want to make out with her, don't do it in front of her dead husband's ghost. I mean, that's just common sense! But at this point the series is as much about the rivalry between Ryuuske and Atsushi as it is about romance, if not more. Both male characters, dead and alive, are acting like immature little boys trying to "one-up" each other to prove that HE loves Rokka more, and she would choose HIM over the other guy! (nya, nya, nya!) Razz It's The Ghost vs. The Wimp in an epic pissing contest! Rolling Eyes

This attitude is going to hurt Rokka in the end, and I hope they realize it sooner rather than later. Inviting your love interest on a date to an amusement park where you know she used to frequent with her late husband? That's just tacky!

So by the time Atsushi started begging Ryuuske to let him take over his body, I was thinking "let him do it already!" Sure, it's creepy, but, hey, you all will finally get laid, and everyone will be happy! Sort of...(and dare I say it might make for an extremely funny and even kinky situation? Embarassed ) Let's get an episode in which Atsushi takes over Ryuuske's body and they both get a sense of how the other feels (it need not have sex). Who's with me? Laughing]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:32 am Reply with quote
I liked episode 3. The show keeps on surprising me. For example, I thought for sure when MC was spoiler[hesitating outside Widow-chan's door, he would pussy out and turn around.] Nope. Good for you. And Ghost-kun's whiny and wheedling attempts spoiler[to take over MC's body] cracked me up.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:20 am Reply with quote
So the MC seems to have bouts where he handles things well, and others where he does something pretty awful, wonder if I should consider the spoiler[ticket thing] as human error.

And Mr Ghost has crossed a line in spoiler[becoming a poltergeist, and causing harm, with his increasingly panicking attempts to posses.] With the strange things in the neighborhood, there is someone they need to call.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:01 am Reply with quote
Hazuki saved the day. Shimao was being all annoying again.
spoiler[Rokka's cold brought them a bit closer together.]
If only that ghost wasn't around to spoil things.
On the other hand Rokka needs to let go of the memory of her husband.
Maybe than he'll finally let those two be.
In the meantime spoiler[he has a serious possibility of turning into a poltergeist.]
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:13 am Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:
It was very refreshing to hear an adult woman, Rokka, admit spoiler[she might look forward to having sex with Ryousuke.]

Totally, rare to see sex mentioned so unceremoniously in anime in general. That entire monologue felt very honest and believable.

The rapid pace of development is kind of throwing me off, I mean, spoiler[a confession, reciprocation and almost consummation in just 2 eps?] How will they fill the remaining run time? Here's hoping they don't just throw in a load of trite plot devices to keep them apart. My hopes are now so high with this show that I am ultra sensitive to anything that could spoil it...
Botan24

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Now, now, just because Shimao spoiler[wants to possess Ryousuke's body, doesn't mean he's going to have sex with Rokka.] Wink Perhaps he just wants to talk to Rokka and try to understand where she's coming from. I can understand Shimao's frustration because Rokka spoiler[(in her grieving after his death) begged Shimao to stay. So he did. Now she's getting ready to have a fling with Ryousuke. Now, don't get me wrong. I still like the the way sex is handled in this series.] But, Rokka needs to do some soul searching big time. Also, yeah the spoiler[ticket thing] was tacky (poor Ryousuke, he just can't catch a break), but maybe that will force Rokka to re-examine her feelings.

In the meantime, I think this show is super cute. As is the rivalry between Shimao and Ryousuke. Gonna embarrass myself and say that Shimao is definitely better looking. But I'm just drawn to Ryousuke's hostile stare, and adolescent charms.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I think Ryouske is handsome, but his eyes put me off. It's like an apathetic, cynical stare. I know he's afraid of engaging with the world and getting hurt, but it'd be nice if he smiled once and a while. Although, he's adorable when he blushes!

Rokka's (understandably) living in the past. It's hard to move past the death of a loved one, and I can't even imagine what it's like to lose a spouse or a child. She was so determined to stay with Atsushi and make it work despite the cancer that she just can't let go, and that may very well be the reason why he can't move on. My original theory spoiler[ that Shimao-san is playing matchmaker because he honestly wants his wife to move on and attain a new peace and happiness is definitely off. Based on the first three episodes, we have a ghost who is confused and frustrated. Why is he still here? She begged him to stay, but she can barely feel his presence. He can't talk to her, touch her, help her when she's sad or sick, no matter how much he loves her. It looks like Atsushi is tortured by his predicament.

I now think (and hope) that Miho will be the key. She seems to have successfully integrated the loss of her brother in her life, so that she still loves and remembers him, but is able to live on. She and her parents have tried to reach out to Rokka, but Rokka really needs to be ready to reach out to her, have a heart-to-heart, and finally realize that it wouldn't be a betrayal of her vows to move on.

In episode 3, Ryouske promised to help Atsushi move on, but I think it will take a while before either party knows what Atsushi and Rokka need to make that happen.]
Slowly figuring out how to grieve in a healthy way and move past loss with the help of family and friends--that's going to be the heart of this show (with many, many embarrassing missteps along the way, most likely).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Not as enthused about this episode as the first. Hazuki spoiler[blurting out what he did made him look super stupid. I don't buy that with his face inches from hers, he would say what he did. He's not stupid, he knows she (nor anyone else) can't see the ghost, so come on. And yes, the cold thing. Oof.]

Also, the whole ghost getting in the way is going to start to become really irritating soon. You can get away with it in a movie, but over 11 episodes? It's really going to start grating on my nerves unless they find a way to freshen it up.

The ghost getting in the way is one of my favorite parts of this, because they're doing it very creatively. The hands in front of her eyes was great. And I like how his feet just come randomly floating down between them while Hazuki is trying to talk to her (I was delighted the first time, when I was thinking, wait, he's got feet, and the next moment Hazuki is peering over the desk to check out that very thing - and extra points that they didn't make him comment on what he was doing).

As for the awkward blurting scene, I challenge you to maintain your composure spoiler[when about to kiss someone, if someone else's face suddenly rises up through their face. I was suprised that he was gamely going forward, when to his eyes he was about to kiss Atsushi, and it's not hard at all to believe he'd spontaneously grumble something at him to vent his irritation. It's not a lot different than yelling, "Get away from me!" if a gnat started buzzing around your ear as you were moving in for a kiss, except you could explain that. Smile]

I also like how all of Hazuki's plants are succulents that require little care and watering. It seems to speak to his lack of social skills and introverted personality, which he's trying to overcome to be with Rokka. I don't mean that he's a basement dwelling geek, just that he's very self-contained and reserved, except when it comes to her, and he just hasn't had a lot of experience in this area.

And yes, oof, the cold thing. She wasn't even wearing wet clothes! Wink

Someone asked why Atsushi has hair as a ghost - I want to know why he changes clothes. Before Hazuki, he was apparently fine with hanging out in his boxers, but now he's always fully dressed. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7