• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Ambition of Oda Nobuna (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote

The Ambition of Oda Nobuna (TV)

Genres: action, comedy, drama, magic, romance
Themes: conspiracy, fanservice, gender switch, harem, historical, ninja, revenge, samurai, time travel, unrequited love, war

Plot Summary: Ordinary high schooler Yoshiharu gets pulled into a time slip to the warring states period. There he meets Nobuna Oda - not Nobunaga, Nobuna. In this world, all the famous warlords of the era are female. Nobuna recruits Sagara, who she dubs "Monkey," to help her in her quest to rule the world.
----------------------------------

Producers: Madhouse Studios, AT-X, Studio Gokumi, The Klock Worx
Streaming on: Crunchyroll

Episode 1
Hmm...I guess this could be good although it's rushed in quite a bit with the beginning scenes. I did enjoy the OP song quite a bit though, as it is somewhat catchy.

It is also no surprise that Kanae Itō plays the role of the main heroine as you can recognize her voice near instantly for those who've watched Haganai. Overall however, I thought this pilot episode was "meh". Just going to watch it for entertainment if anything else and hope that it will be something worthy to talk about.

Last edited by Stark700 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
This title will get dumped on because "alternate history where chicks are famous generals from the Warring States/Three Kingdoms period" shows have now become as ubiquitous as "schoolkids piloting mecha" shows. I watched the first eppie. It was okay. I pretty much have infinite patience for cute girls being cute, but so far, this title isn't showing that it will be as entertaining as the Koihime Muso franchise which is the yardstick by which all chick general shows must be measured. Still early days, though.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm normally not the kind of dude who finds much trouble with characters who lack progressive takes on gender roles, but come on... "save the hot chick because she's hot, even though I've got no way to do so"? Maybe if the main character wasn't an idiot, I could watch this, but...

Stylistically, I find the show to be oddly competent, but then people start talking.
Zork

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
This show has almost the same premise as Battle Girls - Time Paradox from a couple of seasons ago, except in that show all of the characters were female. I think Battle Girls was a better show, mainly because the Nobunaga Oda character was better and more complex.

Both shows have an annoying main protagonist, though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
One thing I forgot to mention in my first post, but what amused me, is that the show made absolutely no effort to spoiler[explain how Dude got to this alternate time period. The closest we got to any kind of explanation was his assumption he is dreaming. Nor did he seem to have any problem adjusting to the fact he was in this situation.] Laughing I guess there have been so many of these types of shows, they don't spoiler[even bother with the set-up any more.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
I got so annoyed by that, that I got tired of waiting for an explanation and gave up ten minutes in.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:22 am Reply with quote
So I will be comparing this to the current airing Sengoku Collection (AKA Parallel World Samurai), sounds somewhat similar set up, except we have a harem lead into their time.

Main reason for me to watch: a loli ninja, and a strange slight interest.
I don't want to watch this just so it could be a way to mix waring states with cute girls, even though I do have a weakness for some of it.

I hope that this is not just a retread of old harem jokes.
JustinGallimore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Reminds me of samurai Girls I look forward to episode 2 also.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

spoiler[Oda's little brother sure is a brat.
Sagara always seems to get himself into unnecessary trouble.
He sure makes a great trader, but is pretty much an airhead...
He has more luck than brains.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote
I highly doubt he would do as well as he did.

I also noticed that he seems to have his own little loli league at his disposal. I remember he inherited that guy's ninja, and something along the lines of getting engaged with the landlord's daughter, but how did he get the tiger girl to follow him, did I maybe forget something.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I highly doubt he would do as well as he did.

I also noticed that he seems to have his own little loli league at his disposal. I remember he inherited that guy's ninja, and something along the lines of getting engaged with the landlord's daughter, but how did he get the tiger girl to follow him, did I maybe forget something.

I think its because she lives next door to him.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
Well the 2nd episode was great. I really like how they still follow the events of history with a few twists like spoiler[Nobuna not killing her brother just like her real life counterpart. The Monkey continues to impress me, he resisted Nobuyuki's plan of getting all the pretty girls and made a large amount of money in a week.]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I want to like this show so much, but the sexism is just painful. It does so much well, it sucks when a moment is ruined by an otherwise effective main character letting his cock do his thinking for him, and the show treating it as if it's something heroic. Nobuna's "unwilling demon king" story is plenty interesting, but it deserves a better supporting cast.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

I'm seriously thinking about dropping this one.
All the history talk is just confusing and I can't keep up with it.
spoiler[This episode was all about politics, marriage proposal and current war strategies.
Oda was totally caught off guard by that and it really showed!
All that mixed with some blackmail made her worried.
There is way too much responsibility weighing her down...
Saving Dousan was a pretty big feat, "Monkey" sure had some guts.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3
Tsundere Oda this episode. Laughing

And political marriage..guess she's not ready for a real relationship yet and also seems that Sagara was jealous a bit there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4