• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pete Docter to Produce English Howl

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:51 am Reply with quote
Yes, you read the above topic correctly, I just got it straight from [url=]www.nausicaa.net[/url]!

I've just received word that there WILL be an English version of HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE; the movie has just shattered all box office records in Japan (surprise, surprise; it's a Miyazaki film, what do you expect?). The director of the English version, interestingly, is going to be Pete Doctor, one of the directors of MONSTERS INC. (John Lasseter couldn't do it because he's busy working on CARS.)

But anyway, this is GREAT NEWS! I'm so glad that it's happening after all; I loved every one of the Disney Ghibli dubs they've produced thus far (and a bit puzzled why Jack Fletcher isn't working with the later dubs; I thought his voice direction on the dubs he made--KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE, PRINCESS MONONOKE, and CASTLE IN THE SKY--was fine), and I'm absolutely delighted that we're going to see an English version of HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE.

I predict that 2005 will be the year of Miyazaki.. or rather, Ghibli!
-Jon T.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Did you seriously think that there wouldn't be an English dub this time around?

That would only have happened if it had been licensed by Dreamworks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:02 pm Reply with quote
As long as it's the original cut, and the theme songs are still in Japanese, I don't really care.
IanC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:58 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I hope he doesn't "doctor" any of the content.

Rolling Eyes

Disney haven't done that to nay of the other Ghibli films, why do you think they will do that this time?

Im looking forward to this!
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Did you seriously think that there wouldn't be an English dub this time around?

Well... I guess I was just worried that it wouldn't. But now I feel ashamed for feeling doubtful. Sad

*Sad Sigh*

-Jon T.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:31 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
GATSU wrote:
I hope he doesn't "doctor" any of the content.

Rolling Eyes

Disney haven't done that to any of the other Ghibli films, why do you think they will do that this time?

Exactly. Especially when such "inexcusable alterations", such as the inclusion of a few funny lines, a gorgeous reorchestration of CASTLE IN THE SKY, and anything else Disney does is done with approval from Hayao Miyazaki himself.

I've been spoiled by all the dubs Disney did for Miyazaki's films, so I have no reason to believe that this one won't be as good.

-Jon T.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, no need to feel bad, I was just pointing out that this isn't Millenium Actress or Innocence: Ghost in the Shell, this is a children's movie so it would be economic suicide not for them to do a dub as kids, generally, don't like reading subtitles (and a portion of adult anime fans prefer dubs too).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
(and a portion of adult anime fans prefer dubs too).

Not nessecerally, plus it's got nothing to do with the topic at hand really (it's an industry standard, it's not a "preference" sorta thing, so uhh.... yeah)
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:17 am Reply with quote
I guess the fact that an English version is even being planned at this point gives some weight to the idea of the film getting an early spring release in North America to coincide with those DVDs.

Are there any other kids/animated movies coming out around that time? Hopefully it will stand a chance of getting a limited-wide release.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:31 am Reply with quote
Well, the animated summer kiddy movie season next year looks to be a pitched battle between Dreamworks' Madagascar and Disney's Chicken Little, both of which I actually do like the trailers of. I have more faith in Chicken Little than a lot of people here, since the director, Mark Dindal, did do another Disney film in 2000, but it wasn't Dinosaur, which was a good-looking disappointment, it was The Emperor's New Groove, which was a successful attempt to infuse a Disney film with a more Warner-like comic sensibility.
Gamelore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:38 am Reply with quote
If this is that annoying fat man who comes on BY DEFAULT whenever I put in my R1 Spirited Away DVD, for the love of GOD someone please tell him not to do that again! All I know is it was someone at Pixar, and I was very upset to say the least.

I keep telling myself to edit that guy out and burn my own version ... someday.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:03 am Reply with quote
That person is Siskel Ebert, he reviews movies, and for some reason always claims a Disney movie is the best (most of the time they are, I have yet to see one that isn't)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:30 am Reply with quote
Gamelore wrote:
If this is that annoying fat man who comes on BY DEFAULT whenever I put in my R1 Spirited Away DVD, for the love of GOD someone please tell him not to do that again! All I know is it was someone at Pixar, and I was very upset to say the least.

John Lasseter, director of Toy story and a good personal friend of Hayao Miyazaki.

Can't you skip it, anyway?
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:26 am Reply with quote
Gamelore wrote:

That's John Lasseter. He's intro might be annoying but he's a good guy.

kusanagi-sama wrote:
That person is Siskel Ebert, he reviews movies, and for some reason always claims a Disney movie is the best (most of the time they are, I have yet to see one that isn't)

First of all, the guy's name is Roger Ebert (Gene Siskel died in 1999). Second, it wasn't him.
Also, he never claimed that "Disney movies are the best". In fact he always gave favorable reviews to anime - he gave 4 stars to "Princess Mononoke", "Spirited Away" and "Metropolis".
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Gamelore wrote:

I rather like John Lasseter's introductions. It makes me feel warm inside to see American animators who are so awed and inspired by Miyazaki's work. And chances are that people who buy Ghibli movies outside anime fandom (ie parents who buy the R1 releases for their kids because they say "Disney" on them) will feel like they are watching something less foreign to them because of the Pixar seal of approval. I bought Castle in the Sky for my little brothers when I went to visit my parents a while ago and my mom, who generally believes that anime is the absolute lowest form of entertainment, decided to sit down and watch it too because of Lasseter's introduction. She doesn't know Ghibli, but she DOES know (and loves) Pixar, and that's enough to get her to sit down and try watching something new.

Sorry this was kind of a long post. I just think John Lasseter's a good guy, too.

And I can't wait for the release of Howl's Moving Castle here!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2