• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Manga Gets New Anime in Summer 2013

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:39 am Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
The reboot bug that Hollywood clearly caught has spread over into anime as well hopefully Funimation can finally bring Sailor Moon over to the English World and give it a proper and faithful dub but its not going to be an easy title to pick up they have been trying for years to pick ip the old anime and well we all know that has turned out..not well.

They've been rebooting anime or producing new content for years already, look at: Golgo 13, Space Adventure Cobra, Casshern, Slayers, Yamato, Gundam 0079 as SEED and now as Origin, Mazinger Z, Astro Boy and Tetsujin 28 several times each, Saint Seiya, Harlock, Cyborg 009, and tons of others.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:42 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
1. Animation production? Will Toei do the new version? Or will Studio Bones (who did said last time they were doing a 'familiar' series) take on the project?

It's going to be from Toei.

Quote:
2. Voice actors? Obviously they might not be able to gain back the entire original cast but will there be new VA's, current popular VAs, or some veteran Voice Actors taking part of this? I could make an entire list of possibilities for the Inner & Outer Seishi, Tuxedo Mask, Villians and so on.

Both Kotono Mitsuishi (Usagi) & Tohru Furuya (Mamoru) will be returning, not sure about the others.

Quote:
4. Length? Will they make this new series completely faithful to the manga and adapt all of the arcs of the series? Will it be condensed to 12-13 episode seasons or will it be one complete series with up to 50 episodes or so?

Not sure about length as for whether or not it's a reboot, i'll let these answer this question. Cool

http://twitter.com/missdreamsubs/status/221210054504873984
http://twitter.com/moonkittynet/status/221210936990633984
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:44 am Reply with quote
LITERALLY SHAKING WITH JOY

FINGERS SHIVERING

My biggest question is - WILL THEY FOLLOW THE MANGA PLOTLINE?

The anime made so many changes.
Lucyjin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:44 am Reply with quote
Info gleaned so far:

* Completely new Sailor Moon Series in 2013.
* The new series is like a "power up" over the original - a retelling of the series targeted at older fans
* Simultaneous worldwide release!!!
* New Opening: "Otome no Iro ni" - "The color of a maiden" by Momoiro Clover Z.
* Tohru Furuya & Kotono Mitsuishi are confirmed to reprise their roles as Tuxedo Mask and Sailor Moon.
* Director is Kunihiko Ikuhara, who directed the last Sailor Moon series, Mawaru Penguin Drum and Revolutionary Girl Utena (unconfirmed?)

This info is coming from a source on Twitter that has been watching the live event and posting little translated nuggets; as such there may possibly be some errors, but I'm hoping it's all true.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:48 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
MEGATONNE

Moon-Chase is reporting a global release, that it's a Toei production, and that Kotono Mitsuishi and Toru Furuya are confirmed to reprise their roles as Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Kamen.

Although Kotono Mitsuishi and Toru Furuya did appear at the event, they did not specify that they will reprise their roles for the new anime.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:49 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Primus wrote:
MEGATONNE

Moon-Chase is reporting a global release, that it's a Toei production, and that Kotono Mitsuishi and Toru Furuya are confirmed to reprise their roles as Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Kamen.

Although Kotono Mitsuishi and Toru Furuya did appear at the event, they did not specify that they will reprise their roles for the new anime.

That's a very good point but it was sort of implied with the "I hope we can be Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask again" comment. From MissDream Twitter Feed.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:52 am Reply with quote
Lucyjin wrote:

* Simultaneous worldwide release!!!.

I KNOW RIGHT!!!!

AAAAAAAHHH!

Also it is targeted at ME! ME!

If Chicken Little was a Sailormoon fan then Chicken Little is ME!!
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote
I had a feeling this would be the "special announcement". I can't help but wonder if we will have to wait to get the older series until this one has been licensed?
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote
This is really great news. I could imagine that now a fair share of questions regarding this will be asked at the Kodansha panel at SDCC.

My hope is that a new anime series like this will have new contracts, new production committees, new whatever it takes to hopefully (hope, hope, hope) allow a N. American distributor to pick up the show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
I have not entered the Sailor Moon universe yet, and I'm not sure I ever will, but I'm very happy for all the SM fans who will doubtlessly be overjoyed by this. This is very good news.
Chappers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:01 am Reply with quote
Well, this may explain why Funimation hasn't rescued the original series.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote
I don't know if I'm ready to be a part of this.

I already got wrangled up into the pony craze. I don't think I have the strength for this.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:10 am Reply with quote
I'm still hoping/betting the original series gets a re-release at some point - I happened to watch a little bit of it again and I was really glad to find it to be still as entertaining as ever, and a bit guilty for underestimating it after all this time.

Definitely looking forward to this new thing though, and seeing how the staff pans out. Also glad that there's been good new, original anime coming out lately, so I can look forward to redos of old franchises without quite so much concern.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:11 am Reply with quote
Chappers wrote:
Well, this may explain why Funimation hasn't rescued the original series.

There's also a bit of competition for the original series as well. Funimation isn't the only company interested in it. However, a new series could hold up things for a bit now.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:17 am Reply with quote
Happy Dance, Happy Dance. Jiggity Jig, Jiggity Jig.

Something to look forward to for next year.

Made the day, yes indeed.

Mark Gosdin
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 22