• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation Oct / Nov / Dec 2012 Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Interesting. I can hear The King of Harts frothing at the mouth all the way up here in Tahrahna.

Why would I have a problem with more PSG art? I've spent hundreds and plan on spending hundreds more on PSG merchandise, another $30 for a BD doesn't mean squat when it comes to this show. I knew this was going to happen since I knew they had the BD rights and just had to wait for Kadokawa to give them the green light, so I knew I was going to be double dipping before the DVD set was even solicited.

Only with PSG.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Count

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't have any inside information but there is a native HD trailer for for Shangri-la on the King of Thorns Blu-Ray. It was through the trailer on the Eva movie that we found out about the Soul Eater Blu-Ray. I heard Japan doesn't have the Blu-Ray yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got it.

While I hate to be like this I have stopped buying DVD's from Funi, because I know there will be a Blu-Ray release later. The only exceptions are shows that don't have a Blu-Ray in Japan, shows released before or right around the time HD became a standard and Geneon releases(in hopes that DVD sales will warrant a Blu-Ray release like Gungrave).

Last edited by The Count on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Interesting. I can hear The King of Harts frothing at the mouth all the way up here in Tahrahna.

Why would I have a problem with more PSG art? I've spent hundreds and plan on spending hundreds more on PSG merchandise, another $30 for a BD doesn't mean squat when it comes to this show. I knew this was going to happen since I knew they had the BD rights and just had to wait for Kadokawa to give them the green light, so I knew I was going to be double dipping before the DVD set was even solicited.

Only with PSG.

Dammit. I was hoping for a tirade. Wink
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
There is a problem with waiting for full season sets: If the publisher is Funimation you miss out on the limited edition that many seem to crave. If it is Sentai you are likely to get a stack pack case. Of course if you take the long game with Media Blasters well....
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Very true, Alan45. My problem is that I want virtually everything that Funi and Sentai puts out. So if I didn't try to economize somehow, I'd be out on the street, selling pencils.

The other thing is that I'm pretty plugged into the, uh, "previously enjoyed" anime market, so part of the Long Game is waiting to see the results of folks who watch a title once and then sell it in pristine condition for sometimes extremely reasonable prices.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
"selling pencils"

Anyways, I preorder most everything I want from Funimation because of said limited editions and skip all of Sentai's first time releases. I hate Sentai's packaging and think it's the cheapest around tied with Media Blasters. What reason do I have to preorder a Sentai show? To have a disc in a case with "meh" coverart? I have a subscription to TAN, so watching the show isn't a problem, and Sentai doesn't have any incentive to buy a first time release, let alone preorder. Funimation just has better products, which makes it worth getting in line early.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt - Available on BLU-RAY 12.4.12 - Trailer
Quote:
All-new specialty printed Blu-ray sized LE packaging (I'm waiting on another version of the 3D mock... you'll see why)
All episodes of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt completely uncensored and uncut in full HD glory
Panty & Stocking in Sanitary Box OVA
Promotional videos and making-of features
Ghost Explosions Collection
Making of Ghost Explosions documentary
All new English cast interviews and features "Panty and Stocking Revealed: Unrated Cut" "Sit Down with Panty and Stocking"

via FUNimation Facebook page
Quote:
By now you may have heard that Panty & Stocking will be coming to blu-ray just in time for the holiday season. It will be in glorious HD and contain exclusive English cast interviews. Also, the box is absolutely covered in glitter. That's right, glitter.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
"selling pencils"

Anyways, I preorder most everything I want from Funimation because of said limited editions and skip all of Sentai's first time releases. I hate Sentai's packaging and think it's the cheapest around tied with Media Blasters. What reason do I have to preorder a Sentai show? To have a disc in a case with "meh" coverart? I have a subscription to TAN, so watching the show isn't a problem, and Sentai doesn't have any incentive to buy a first time release, let alone preorder.

The only problem is that Sentai uses spindle cases for their complete collections. You're actually MUCH better off buying the individual sets separately as their released. The collections don't even give you much of a discount, in fact.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
I don't have any inside information but there is a native HD trailer for for Shangri-la on the King of Thorns Blu-Ray. It was through the trailer on the Eva movie that we found out about the Soul Eater Blu-Ray. I heard Japan doesn't have the Blu-Ray yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got it.

For Shangri-La, It all depends if FUNimation wants to do all the work. The series did terrible in Japan. It was bad enough that they release the second half of the series in one set (instead of 6 singles).
warden13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Didn't take as long as I thought it might for this BD release for P&S. I'll be picking this up eventually.

Alan45 wrote:
There is a problem with waiting for full season sets: If the publisher is Funimation you miss out on the limited edition that many seem to crave. If it is Sentai you are likely to get a stack pack case. Of course if you take the long game with Media Blasters well....

Waiting on Funimation is not much of a problem for me because their limited editions are hardly worth it. These days the deciding factor in getting them is actually what sort of bonus Rightstuf is giving out.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@ Kruszer

But you could have done that years ago. Very Happy I had all eight singles but replaced them with a later Geneon set that had all eight disks but is less than a inch wide. I still have the trading cards I got with the singles though.

I've been reclaiming shelf space for about three years now.

I didn't have shelf space issues back when I bought it. Plus in it's heyday I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, with it's customary Geneon/Pioneer $200 price tag. Far too rich a price for a then jobless high school student. I only bought it when I found the dusty old relic of the ages marked down severely on the shelf of a store I visited while on vacation somewhere. Laughing
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt - Available on BLU-RAY 12.4.12 - Trailer
Quote:
All-new specialty printed Blu-ray sized LE packaging (I'm waiting on another version of the 3D mock... you'll see why)
All episodes of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt completely uncensored and uncut in full HD glory
Panty & Stocking in Sanitary Box OVA
Promotional videos and making-of features
Ghost Explosions Collection
Making of Ghost Explosions documentary
All new English cast interviews and features "Panty and Stocking Revealed: Unrated Cut" "Sit Down with Panty and Stocking"

via FUNimation Facebook page
Quote:
By now you may have heard that Panty & Stocking will be coming to blu-ray just in time for the holiday season. It will be in glorious HD and contain exclusive English cast interviews. Also, the box is absolutely covered in glitter. That's right, glitter.

In addition to what's posted on the first post, I got a bit more information from FUNi.

- Release will have Blu-ray sized chipboard artbox that will house 2 Blu-ray cases
- Artbox will have specialty print (I guess this is the described glitter)
- The other side of the artbox is Stocking (which is as expected)
- More artwork and details will be released soon
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Good thing I can change my Rightstuf order. I got the DVD version of P&S from the Funimation sale and just emailed Customer Service to switch it to the Blu-ray box. I amused that the set will be glittery. Anime hyper
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

@ Kruszer, Alan45
You'd rebuy a release just for shelf space?

Absolutely, I ran out of series I disliked or felt I was never going to rewatch, so this is the next logical step, other than raising the bar again and start selling stuff I know I'll regret getting rid of, which I'm not willing to do. I'd only consider it if I was replacing singles or "parts" with the complete collection. Artboxes are usually too nice, and I tend to keep them unless I don't particularly care for the art or the box is big flimsy POS.

Quote:
Why not just buy some empty cases that hold more than one disc in the same space? I can understand if it's remastered or has new extras or something, but isn't the Tenchi TV re-release (in this case) no different then the geneon releases?
Personally I wouldn't mind reclaiming some shelf space either, but I like the artwork on the Tenchi Universe boxset, so I don't mind that it's 8 discs Smile

Because that solution would be wasteful in my opinion so it doesn't appeal to me too much. I'd have to throw out the original box, the cases and any covers that didn't fit in the new blank case(s). Selling it is a much better option because some other anime fan can buy it from you and enjoy it and the money you get from that is used to buy you the more space saving version. Equivalent exchange...well usually anyway, sometimes you end up losing a bit, while other times your item may make more of profit than than you thought.

In a year, I've replaced:
Banner of the Stars
Banner of the Stars II
Birdy the Mighty: Docode
Code Geass: R2
Ghost Hunt
Gundam 00
Gundam 00 Season II
Pumpkin Scissors
Planetes
Red Garden
Welcome to the NHK
X TV
Xenosaga

I basically got a whole shelf back after all that and there's plenty more in my collection I plan to do the same with. Shocked
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

I basically got a whole shelf back after all that and there's plenty more in my collection I plan to do the same with. Shocked

That makes sense on both accounts. For some reason selling the old releases didn't even cross my mind (probably because it's something I haven't done).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 17