• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How to Submit Series Relations.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
Was checking some stuff in the .hack franchise, and noticed some errors in the connections (and stuff missing, as the novels haven't been added). Without the games, it makes things harder, but basically this is how the connections should go:

Official Timeline:
.hack//AI BUSTER (novel) <- not currently in encyclopedia
.hack//Intermezzo (OAV) <- prequel to SIGN
.hack//SIGN (TV) <- technically prequel to the games
original .hack games <- not in encyclopedia
.hack//Another Birth <- not currently in encyclopedia, side-story to the games
.hack//LIMINALITY (OAV) <- side-story to the games
.hack//UNISON (OAV) <- sequel to both SIGN and the games
.hack//Legend of the Twilight (manga) <- sequel to both SIGN and the games
.hack//Roots (TV) <- prequel to the GU games, which are in turn a sequel to the original games
.hack//GU games <- not in encyclopedia
.hack//G.U. Trilogy (movie) <- adaptation of the GU games, sequel to Roots
.hack//G.U. Returner (OAV) <- sequel to Roots and the GU games (and therefore the G.U. Trilogy)

Non-canon Timeline
.hack//GIFT (OAV) <- parody sequel to SIGN and the original games
.hack//Legend of the Twilight (TV) <- adaptation of the same-named manga, diverges and is not part of the official timeline
.hack//XXXX (manga) <- adaptation of the original games, but drastically different events
.hack//4koma (manga) <- gag strips

???
.hack//G.U.+ (manga) <- it's an adaptation of the GU games, but I don't know if it's a true adaptation, or like the XXXX manga is to the original games. It's most likely non-canon timeline.

Unknown Timeline
.hack//Alcor (manga)
.hack//Link (manga)
.hack//Quantum (OAV)

Right now, SIGN is listed as a prequel to Liminality, when Liminality is actually a side-story to the games, which SIGN is a prequel of (Liminality and SIGN aren't connected themselves).
Intermezzo is listed as a sequel to SIGN, when it's a prequel.
Unison is listed as a sequel to Intermezzo, when it should be a sequel to SIGN directly.
Legend of Twilight (TV) is listed as a sequel to SIGN, when the manga should be listed instead.
Roots is listed as "related to" SIGN, could probably be listed as a sequel, since SIGN is the "root" title in the series (in lieu of the games being available).
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there are currently any plans to add video games to the encyclopedia. Also, for light novels, I think only ones that were adapted into anime are currently being added, so I think .hack//AI BUSTER and .hack//Another Birth wouldn't be added as they weren't adapted into anime.

For .hack//Sign, since I think it started airing before the first game was released, I think the games and Liminality should be conisdered sequels to it. While it would probably be more accurate to say that the games are sequels to Sign and that Liminality is a side story to the games, without the games in the encyclopedia, I think the best way to link them is to say that Liminality is a sequel to sign. Regardless, since I think Sign started airing before the first episode of Liminality was available, I think the way it is listed now with Sign as a prequel to Liminality is incorrect.

For .hack//Intermezzo, while most of it takes place before Sign, it starts and ends with Bear and Mimiru at some point that is likely after the events of Sign. In that sense, it is a sequel to Sign, but a Sequel that mostly consists of a flashback to earlier events. I think it could make sense to leave it listed as a sequel, though it might also make sense to list it as a prequel (I'm not sure how such cases are normally handled). If .hack//Intermezzo renmains listed as a sequel to Sign, then I think .hack//UNISON should still be listed as a sequel to Intermezzo, since the non-flashback parts of Intermezzo happen after Sign and before UNISON, and Intermezzo was released after Sign but before UNISON.
rti9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:41 am Reply with quote
The Gintama: Shinyaku Benizakura-Hen (movie) is a remake of Gintama (TV) episodes 58 through 61. It has the exact same story as the TV series. It just adds a few new scenes and it has improved animation.

Fireball Charming is a prequel, not a sequel of Fireball. Charming goes from the year 48234 until 48426 of the Merkur Era. Fireball is set between the 48650-48794 years of the Merkur Era.
KudouUsagi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:02 am Reply with quote
KudouUsagi wrote:

Done, though next please supply proof of your assertion(s)—it makes the editors' jobs much easier, as well as making us more inclined to make the correction(s).
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:27 am Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
The Gintama: Shinyaku Benizakura-Hen (movie) is a remake of Gintama (TV) episodes 58 through 61. It has the exact same story as the TV series. It just adds a few new scenes and it has improved animation.

Fireball Charming is a prequel, not a sequel of Fireball. Charming goes from the year 48234 until 48426 of the Merkur Era. Fireball is set between the 48650-48794 years of the Merkur Era.

Both done.
rti9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
The encyclopedia says that the 1989 Legend of Lemnear (OAV) was adapted from the manga, but the manga seems to have been released in 1999.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
The encyclopedia says that the 1989 Legend of Lemnear (OAV) was adapted from the manga, but the manga seems to have been released in 1999.

Fixed. In fact, the original manga adaptation was published as early as 1991; publishing an adaptation -- NOT a remake -- 10 years after the original wasn't quite a good business practice, was it? Wink The link you provided was the aizōban, i.e. the collector's edition.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
rti9

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo Doremi Na-i-sho (OAV) is a side story of Mo~tto! Ojamajo Doremi (TV). It contains several independent side stories set during the timeline of the 3rd TV series when Majo Rika's shop was still a bakery/sweet shop. Hana-chan, character who is a young girl in DOKKAAN!, is still a baby in Na-i-sho.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
Hana-chan, character who is a young girl in DOKKAAN!, is still a baby in Na-i-sho.

That's a very strong argument! Wink Fixed and thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
domino

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
The newest Prince of Tennis movie The Prince of Tennis: Eikoku-shiki Teikyū-jō Kessen should probably be linked to the series' main entry as a related anime.

What a weird movie.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
What is the relation?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
What is the relation?

Correct me if I'm mistaken: I think its timeline goes after the first movie.
domino

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:04 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
What is the relation?

Correct me if I'm mistaken: I think its timeline goes after the first movie.

The timeline is difficult to pin because (like the first movie) it's a random side story, but it probably takes place after because it includes new characters met later in the Nationals OVA series (which takes place after the TV series).

I'm guessing that it goes TV series --> 1st movie --> Nationals Tournament OVAs --> 2nd movie
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:12 am Reply with quote
Currently that movie is set as the sequel of another movie which is "related to" the manga. Should there be a more direct connection with the TV series than a common ancestor? I know absolutely nothing about the series, other than it having something to do with tennis.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 26