• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How to Submit Series Relations.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:03 pm Reply with quote
For some reason a lot of the Dragon Ball movies aren't linked at all to the anime. x_X

Dragon Ball Movie 1: Curse of the Blood Rubies
Dragon Ball Movie 2: Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle
Dragon Ball Movie 3: Mystical Adventure
Dragon Ball Movie 4: The Path to Power
are all related to Dragon Ball (TV). They're really all alternate retelling kinda things, and aren't actually sequels to anything in the show.

Also...

Dragon Ball Z Movie 1: The Deadzone
Dragon Ball Z Movie 2: The World's Strongest
Dragon Ball Z Movie 3: The Tree of Might
Dragon Ball Z Movie 4: Lord Slug
Dragon Ball Z Movie 5: Cooler's Revenge
Dragon Ball Z Movie 6: Return of Cooler
Dragon Ball Z Movie 7: Super Android 13
Dragon Ball Z Movie 8: The Legendary Super Saiyan
Dragon Ball Z Movie 9
Dragon Ball Z movie 10: Broly: Second Coming
Dragon Ball Z Movie 11
Dragon Ball Z Movie 12
Dragon Ball Z Movie 13
are all related to Dragon Ball Z (TV). Only like two of these movies could actually be "sequels" to any point in the series, as most of them supposedly take place ...um, when they can't because of what's going on in the series. @_x; [for example, something taking place when they should be busy fighting someone else, or someone in the movie is dead, or they're not on earth at that time but the movie takes place there] So I guess it'd be best to just list them as "related anime" but maybe sequel would be okay. x_x; Unlike the DB movies, none of them are alternate retellings of anything during DBZ (although with the recycled plot ideas one could think so XP).
Movie 8 and 10 are correctly listed as 10 being 8's sequel, but none of them are linked to the actual DBZ TV series right now.

There's also two TV specials for DBZ:
Dragon Ball Z Special 1: Bardock, The Father of Goku takes place before the series (even before DB, really, but this is a DBZ related production).
Dragon Ball Z Special 2: The History of Trunks .. well it takes place in a "future" that would be after the series, but I'd just call it related. Anime dazed; It isn't a true sequel because in the series they make it so it becomes the alternate future, not the real future. WHEE.

I am showing way too much of my supposedly closeted Dragonball fandom. ><
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Basroil Elite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:34 pm Reply with quote
The Nadia TV series isn't linked to the Nadia movie, and visa versa.

The movie is a sequel to the series. Wink
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:31 pm Reply with quote
The Fake anime: anime#146 is an adaptation of the Fake manga: manga#2334
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad making so many multiple posts but if I put all this in the same post it might get confusing...

Anyway...

anime#446 <-- Magic Knight Rayearth 2 the anime is the adaptation of Magic Knight Rayearth 2 the manga --> manga#3805
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote
anime#1521 Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken is the adaptation of this manga: manga#3244
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Um, Dr. Slump 1 and 2 are marked as 2 being a sequel of 1, but that is incorrect. They are simply both TV anime adaptations of the Dr. Slump manga, a decade apart. 2 does not take place after 1, but instead tells the same story in a different way (in 74 episodes instead of 243, thankfully ;P).

Dr. Slump 1: anime#971

Dr. Slump 2:
anime#972

Dr. Slump manga:
manga#970
Basroil Elite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Basroil Elite wrote:

The movie is a sequel to the series. Wink

And still no one has done anything about this... Confused
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:36 am Reply with quote
quincyarcher wrote:
The Digimon manga...Also, can we connect the Digimon movies back to their original seasons? Diablomon to Season 02, the two Tamers films to Tamers, and the Frontier film to Frontier.

Done. Please check the relationship tree for me, for I've never watched/read any Digimon franchise personally.

Michi wrote:
Rayearth 2 anime is listed as a sequel of the first season, but it should also be listed as the adaptation of the Rayearth 2 manga.

Super Doll Licca-chan manga is related to Super Doll Licca-chan anime, but the anime actually came first

Utena Movie manga is related to Utena movie anime...

The Fake anime is an adaptation of the Fake manga

...Dragon Ball movies...

Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken is the adaptation of this manga

Dr. Slump 1 and 2 are marked as 2 being a sequel of 1, but that is incorrect. They are simply both TV anime adaptations of the Dr. Slump manga, a decade apart.

Basroil Elite wrote:

Done. Michi, please check relationship trees of Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump for me.

Captain Crotchspike wrote:
The Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo anime is a remake of the Getter Robo Gou (aka Venger Robo) manga.

Hmm, ANN's definition for a "remake" is "same core story with 'new and improved' animation/music/etc." The relation between the two could be 'adaptation,' 'alternate retelling,' or 'composed of / used to make,' with decreasing degrees of the original plot, respectively. "Remake" relationships only exist between two anime or two manga, not between anime and manga. Could you be more specific on how Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo was related to Getter Robo Gou?

Also worth noting that the Getter Robo Go anime is considered to be a remake of Getter Robo Gou (aka Venger Robo) manga rather than an adaptation because of how heavily it strays from the manga in terms of character design and story.

That's 'alternate retelling.' Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:49 am Reply with quote
I had an earlier post about a Cardcaptor Sakura error about 2 weeks ago with no reply. I've also found an additional error also regarding volume 14 of CCS. The (sub)VHS version of CCS mistakenly contains the righstuf.com link to the dvd version of volume 14 instead, so I cannot submit the proper URL for the dvd version of volume 14. Please correct this error.

This is my original post from 2 weeks ago:

I noticed on the encyclopedia for "Cardcaptor Sakura" that "Star Cards" volume 13 is missing and "Powers Awry" should be labeled as volume 14. I was also wondering if it is possible that these volumes of "Cardcaptor Sakura" dvds, vhs, and "Cardcaptors" be organized a little better, such as in a certain order? Please try to fix this, thank you.
R.G.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:45 am Reply with quote
Isn't Kinnikuman II (aka Ultimate Muscle) a sequel to Kinnikuman?
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:43 am Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
Isn't Kinnikuman II (aka Ultimate Muscle) a sequel to Kinnikuman?

Is it? Are you asking or are you saying this because you know? Razz I looked up a few things and figured out it is indeed a sequel, but it could've been an alternate retelling or something... Please be more precise when pointing these things out in the future. Anime smile;

[edit] Okay, I just searched for "Kinnikuman" in the encyc. and there's a bunch of different movies listed. Does anyone know how all of this connects? It seems that the Kinnikuman II movie actually comes before the second TV series and that it should be linked as a sequel of THAT instead, but I don't know anything of the series. Anyone?
red stranger

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Lupin III, there are only the two manga series which have been translated to english that are mentioned in the encyclopedia. Apart from manga adaptations of the films, there are two other original Lupin III manga series.

They are:
"Action Comics - Lupin III" - (Shusay e Satosumi Takaguchi) 1997
"Action Comics - Lupin III Y" - (Manatsuki Yamakami) 1998

The 1997 series was published in Weekly Manga Action and Action 2 from 24/01/97 to 30/11/97 and later compiled into a one volume book "Action Comics - Lupin III" in 1998.

This info was taken from this italian website, were images of the series can be found:
http://digilander.libero.it/minikame/lupin/l3_shusai_it.html
It is also mention in english here:
http://www.lupinencyclopedia.com/manga/1.php

The 1998 series was also serialized in Weekly Manga Action, and later compiled into several books as "Action Comics - Lupin III Y". This has a different art style and more nudity than the 1997 comic.
Info can be found in italian here:
http://digilander.libero.it/minikame/lupin/lupin3_y_it.html
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote
There are some errors with the Pretty Sammy series, and also one to add here.

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy (OAV) is a spinoff of Tenchi Muyo! Mihoshi Special.
Source: http://www.astronerdboy.com/tenchi/Section%201/FAQ-2.html#cont

Pretty Sammy is by no means an "alternate retelling" of Tenchi OVA. It has a very different style of story and is thus not like "Tenchi Universe" and "Tenchi in Tokyo" in that regard. Sammy's original appearance was in the Mihoshi Special, so it has a more direct link as a spinoff from it (not to mention Pioneer released Pretty Sammy OVA with the Mihoshi Special in the R1 DVD release).

Magical Project S (TV) is an alternate retelling (NOT a sequel) of Magical Girl Pretty Sammy (OAV).

This one is important, as if the TV series is labeled as "sequel" then it will lead people to think that the TV series follows up on the events of the OVA, when that is definitely not the case. Pretty Sammy TV (aka Magical Project S) starts over from the beginning with a new version of the Pretty Sammy story. While many of the same characters appear, it has different character relationships from the OVA (for instance, Tenchi is not Sasami's brother, and Sasami has different parents) and is as a whole unrelated to the original OVA series other than some of the basic elements of the story. It is an "alternate retelling" of Pretty Sammy OVA in the same way that Tenchi Universe and Tenchi in Tokyo is related to the Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki OVA.

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy Bonus Theatre (OAV) is a spinoff of Magical Project S (TV)

This "Bonus Theatre" is a bunch of mini-episodes that were included with the original home video release of Pretty Sammy TV (aka Magical Project S) and feature stories with the characters from Magical Project S. They are on the R1 DVD release of Magical Project S, so it should be marked as Licensed by Geneon.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:50 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Magical Girl Pretty Sammy (OAV) is a spinoff of Tenchi Muyo! Mihoshi Special.

Magical Project S (TV) is an alternate retelling (NOT a sequel) of Magical Girl Pretty Sammy (OAV).

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy Bonus Theatre (OAV) is a spinoff of Magical Project S (TV)
This "Bonus Theatre" is a bunch of mini-episodes that were included with the original home video release of Pretty Sammy TV (aka Magical Project S) and feature stories with the characters from Magical Project S. They are on the R1 DVD release of Magical Project S, so it should be marked as Licensed by Geneon.

Done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:41 am Reply with quote
ahahaaaa, I'm...late
dormcat wrote:
The Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo anime is a remake of the Getter Robo Gou (aka Venger Robo) manga.

Hmm, ANN's definition for a "remake" is "same core story with 'new and improved' animation/music/etc." The relation between the two could be 'adaptation,' 'alternate retelling,' or 'composed of / used to make,' with decreasing degrees of the original plot, respectively. "Remake" relationships only exist between two anime or two manga, not between anime and manga. Could you be more specific on how Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo was related to Getter Robo Gou?

"Alternate retelling" sounds about right, considering the changes made (compacted story with many things removed, no Dr. Lando, major Getter Robo Go to Neo Getter Robo design changes, adding a shiny new Texas Mack, etc.). Nice gallery of terms there, I wish I had kept those in mind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 26