• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How to Submit Series Relations.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:57 am Reply with quote
Tip: If you type manga#16317 manga#16086 manga#16318 they will be linked automatically.

SupaMika Mikarin wrote:
Tokyo Ghoul √A (TV) (#16318) is listed as a sequel on the page for the Tokyo Ghoul (manga)

It is listed as a sequel of Tokyo Ghoul (TV).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Splarka

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:49 am Reply with quote
manga#5447 has in related: "[sequel of Love*Com (manga)]" which links back to itself.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Splarka? Now that's a name I've not heard in years...

I'm not even sure how that happened, but it is fixed now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
MidnightAngel59

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
The timeline (i.e., prequel/sequel relationships) is inaccurate for the following:
Manga#16625
Anime#18136 (OAV)
Anime#19762 (2-cour TV series)

Anime#18136 (the OAV) is not exactly a prequel of Manga#16625 / Anime#19762. Although Chise does recount a story from her childhood, the main storyline of the OAV occurs around episode 13 of the TV series. Since the order of release is manga, OAV, and then TV series, the OAV should probably be described as an "adaptation." And since the first cour of the TV series is a prequel to the OAV while most of the second cour is a sequel, "related" or "adaptation" is probably most accurate for the TV series as well.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:20 am Reply with quote
While I agree that the TV series is inaccurately labeled as a sequel to the OAV (IMO, they should each be independently related to the manga), I feel that it is accurate to call the OAV a prequel to the manga.

Other than the framing device taking place between volumes 4 and 5, the story is a prequel to the manga, telling a story from Chise's childhood. It would not be appropriate to call it an adaptation, because it's an original story that does not appear in the manga, so there's nothing for it to adapt.
MidnightAngel59

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Other than the framing device taking place between volumes 4 and 5, the story is a prequel to the manga, telling a story from Chise's childhood. It would not be appropriate to call it an adaptation, because it's an original story that does not appear in the manga, so there's nothing for it to adapt.

That's a good point; it's not really an adaptation. But I don't think the framing device should be so discounted as to label it a prequel. Framing device that it is, there is a closeness between Chise and Elias in it that, at least for me, helped develop their relationship in the current timeline. Therefore, "side story" or even simply "related" may be the best compromise for the OAV, but that's just one perspective. I will leave it to the ANN editor(s) to decide.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
The main reason I'm discounting the framing device, is that I'm pretty sure I saw it (at least on ANN) advertised as a prequel, and I was surprised when I watched it and saw that it even had a framing device taking place during the series.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:45 pm Reply with quote
From Sun 22 Dec 2013 00:32 am:
Calathan wrote:
I still hoping that some of the anime I've mentioned previously in this thread could be linked up. I think they may have been overlooked or forgotten.

First, Leina: Wolf Sword Legend and Lightning Trap - Leina & Laika are both related to the Machine Robo franchise. As I've mentioned previously, I don't know the exact relation of them to the series. See this post and my earlier post linked from that one for more details. I think it would be good to link the shows even if it is just with the "related" link, just so that people know they are related. Also, Mike Toole has mentioned Leina Stol a couple times in his columns. I don't know if anyone could possibly contact him to find out what relationship to use between the OVAs and the TV series, as he seems like someone who might know.

He's an ANN staff member, so he's listed in the contact list. I'll send him a PM asking him to drop in here and give an opinion.
annasartin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:00 pm Reply with quote
These two manga both have an OVA that needs added to the system:

manga#20590

manga#18874
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:29 am Reply with quote
annasartin wrote:

manga#20590

manga#18874

The second also needs the "From" in the title (currently "The Girl From the Other Side: Siúil, a Rún") to be changed to lower case, unless there is a compelling reason to violate standard English title capitalization.
Cranium

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Taiga Adventure is known in Japan as Mirai Shōnen Conan 2 aka Conan, the Boy in Future 2 but it's not listed as related anime.

anime#2622

anime#899

(also slightly offtopic, Conan, the Boy in Future lists "12" as a theme, it's the only entry on that theme page, what's that about?)
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:28 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
annasartin wrote:

manga#20590

manga#18874

The second also needs the "From" in the title (currently "The Girl From the Other Side: Siúil, a Rún") to be changed to lower case, unless there is a compelling reason to violate standard English title capitalization.

Never mind--I figured out how to fix the title myself.

Cranium wrote:
Taiga Adventure is known in Japan as Mirai Shōnen Conan 2 aka Conan, the Boy in Future 2 but it's not listed as related anime.

anime#2622

anime#899

(also slightly offtopic, Conan, the Boy in Future lists "12" as a theme, it's the only entry on that theme page, what's that about?)

I added Taiga Adventure as "Related to" Future Boy Conan (since The Anime Encyclopedia 3rd Revised Edition states "its relationship to the original is extremely tenuous"), and hidden the theme.

Thank you for reporting those. Anime smile
Llyud

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:14 am Reply with quote
I'd like to comment several inaccuracies regarding several HxH pages:

anime#1134

Hunter X Hunter (TV) was adapted from the original manga, it is not a continuation or alternate retelling of Hunter × Hunter (special).

anime#13262

Likewise, Hunter × Hunter (TV 2011) was adapted from the original manga and is not an alternate retelling of Hunter X Hunter (TV). It has nothing to do with the 1999 series.

The correct order for the manga page would be:

manga#1899

Related anime:
Hunter × Hunter (special) (adaptation)
Hunter X Hunter (TV) (adaptation)
-Hunter X Hunter (OAV) (sequel)
--Hunter X Hunter: Greed Island (OAV) (sequel)
---Hunter X Hunter: G I Final (OAV) (sequel)
Hunter × Hunter (TV 2011) (adaptation)
-Hunter × Hunter: Phantom Rouge (movie)
--Hunter × Hunter -The Last Mission- (movie) (sequel)

-----

Also, I think the "×" character should be used in every title instead of "X":

anime#1134

Hunter X Hunter (TV) > Hunter × Hunter (TV 1999)

anime#1135

Hunter X Hunter (OAV) > Hunter × Hunter (OAV)

anime#2282

Hunter X Hunter: Greed Island (OAV) > Hunter × Hunter: Greed Island (OAV)

anime#3177

Hunter X Hunter: G I Final (OAV) > Hunter × Hunter: G.I. Final (OAV)
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I'd change the x's to multiplication symbols, but currently that change is not rated "minor", so I don't have the clearance.

As for the rest I'm out of practice and low on blood sugar, it's going to have to wait a bit--sorry!

However, thank you for reporting this. Anime smile

Edit: I've redone the relationships. I think I've gotten it right, but please check: manga#1899
Llyud

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Thank you! I've looked the manga page and everything is correct.

You're welcome. Anime smile

Quote:
The "×" is just for having the same title in all pages, don't worry about it.

It bugs me, because I like to use the correct characters, and on Wikipedia I could easily fix it.

Quote:
By the way, I've looked the encyclopedia page for the third season of Aggretsuko (anime#23549) and I forgot to mention in my submission that it is a sequel to Aggretsuko (ONA 2) (anime#23209). Sorry about that!

Done, and don't worry about it--it was easy to fix now that I've figured out that the relationships are attached upward/to rather than downward/from.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 26