• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Claymore DVD 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
These are precisely the same grades I would have given this volume, and for pretty much the same reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Working from a script that discards rigorous faithfulness in favor of curiously limp rewrites,

for example? oO

Having rewatched a few episodes of Claymore just recently, I was quite shocked at how ugly the art or rather, the character designs actually are. Sometimes they look really bad, with way too big eyes/pupils ... Shocked

But I agree the rest of the artwork is pretty beautiful, especially the landscapes. However the fighting animation is quite lacking imho (looks more like a slide show with speed lines, which makes the manga feel more dynamic to me >.< )
JackCox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:07 am Reply with quote
I am utterly shocked not one peep was mentioned about how phenomenal Luci Christian's English Dub performance of Ophelia was.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
I am utterly shocked not one peep was mentioned about how phenomenal Luci Christian's English Dub performance of Ophelia was.

Oh yeah, Luci is terrific as Ophelia. Ophelia required an unflinchingly maniacal bit of voicework, and Luci took the ball and ran with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:47 am Reply with quote
I'll throw in also that Luci was terrific. The part where spoiler[Ophelia had awakened, but she didn't realize she was yet and she was talking about being hungry for intestines and viscera.] That was quite chilling!

I also liked the surprise visitor and said visitor's incredibly generous gift to Claire.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:45 am Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:

Quoted for truth. It took me a few minutes to realize it was Luci Christian, but once I did, I was very impressed. I can normally pick out her voice in an instant, but she showed some very impressive range as Ophelia.

This volume wasn't as hard hitting as Volume 2, but it was still quite effective storytelling. Yes, I noticed the shonen tropes showing up, but fortunately they are kept to a minimum and veiled somewhat by the extreme violence.

Side note, am I the only one who thinks that the sound of the Claymores powering up sounds EXACTLY like a TIE fighter's laser cannons firing??
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Side note, am I the only one who thinks that the sound of the Claymores powering up sounds EXACTLY like a TIE fighter's laser cannons firing??

No, you aren't. As a matter of fact, there are sounds of Star Wars sprinkled throughout anime. I'll occasionally hear them in those SciFi channel movies also. It's a very common occurrence.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
While I don't care for this show, I must admit that the cover art for this volume is very pretty.
yojimboray

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Exvellent review. Your critique of the English dub was especially spot-on and could be applied to so many other anime.
Alucalb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:36 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Quote:
Working from a script that discards rigorous faithfulness in favor of curiously limp rewrites,

for example? oO

Sub Clare in one episode back on the first disc is fighting a yoma with a pair of daggers, then when she finally gets her claymore back she says "Now, shall we begin the hunt?", and it's pretty badass. Dub Clare quips a more generic "Your reign of terror ends here, monster!" line, like she's going to fight Dracula or something.

There are other examples in the review of the second disc. I think the dub is okay most of the time, but when this happens it really bugs me.

maaya wrote:
way too big eyes/pupils...

Welcome to anime. Razz
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Finally got to sit down and listen to the English dub, and I must agree that Luci Christian's rendition of Ophelia is meritorious. Such a different type of performance for her, but it fits perfectly. The script is still playing around a little too much at times, though, and other performances don't fit as well. (But I do like what Funi is doing with the layering effects on the Awakened voices.)

For those watching the series for the first time, note the fact that spoiler[Ophelia essentially became who and what she is because of her brother being killed by the awakened Priscilla (i.e. the one-horned monster)]. Just another indicator of what I was talking about in my vol. 2 review and the "Best of 2008" awards about how nearly everything in the series can be traced back to certain moments in the backstory arc.

And for those interested in what the deal is with Rafaela: you'll have to read the manga. She pops up again in a few episodes, but the whole deal with her scar and spoiler[what Ilena was talking about concerning her apparent power level] is never explained in the series. That is, regrettably, the anime version's biggest loose end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1