• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi-chan, Churuya-san Streamed with English Subs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edzieba

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
I apologize in advance for the long post to follow.

edzieba wrote:
Could you provide some examples? I couldn't find any egregious errors that didn't fall under the banner of localisation. Awkward word-for-word translations that try and retain foreign sentence structure are never a good idea.

Proper localization is the point. I'm not saying anyone else has to be as nitpicky about it as I am. In my post I thought I was clear that it was me, for myself, that would not accept this translation in an official R1 release the way it is, that for me it would have to be cleaned up, and if I wasn't clear, I apologize. (I also do remember stating that, despite my complaints, I was happy with the free video, just that I would not pay money for the "quality" of the translation, should it be licensed).

Anyway, to give you the examples you asked for, I have gone through the entire Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya video, divided them by timestamp and explained why I am less than pleased with them (I haven't included all instances where I was wasn't satisfied, but I think I was fairly comprehensive in the ones I did choose). It is probably pretty true that my standards are way higher than the average person, but I'm not going to compromise them just because other people don't care. You are entitled not to care or disagree with my complaints at your leisure, and enjoy the product as is, but please do not come back to me saying I have no right to be less than 100% satisfied with the translation (I'm not saying you were doing this, I am just making a general statement about the right to an opinion/standard of quality).
--snip--
Thanks for writing those out. There are a few I'd contest (the capitalisation of 'god' for instance), but actually providing examples and explanations is a refreshing change from the usual cries of "the translation sucks somehow!". It might be an idea to fire off an email to Kadokawa with those, though I'll admit having difficulty finding their contact address.
Cait

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Thanks for writing those out. There are a few I'd contest (the capitalisation of 'god' for instance), but actually providing examples and explanations is a refreshing change from the usual cries of "the translation sucks somehow!". It might be an idea to fire off an email to Kadokawa with those, though I'll admit having difficulty finding their contact address.

I think if these videos do end up getting localized for real (whether as a stand-alone release or as part of the extras on a DVD release of the upcoming season 2 of Haruhi) I would go ahead and bring the mistakes to the attention of the licensor. Trying to contact a Japanese company seems to me to be an exercise in futility, especially, as I said, I didn't dislike the video short and I certainly am not complaining about the mistakes considering I did not pay a dime to watch it.

I'm glad you appreciated my arguments. I half-expected that I would need to go into some long rant about the merits of grammar (again) and while I do consider myself to be strict about the subject, I don't particularly enjoy ramming it down anyone's throat. I don't get up in arms when people on forums make grammatical mistakes, only when they say, "grammar isn't important at all, you're being ridiculous." I also don't get up in arms when mistakes are seen in something I read for free (like ANN articles), just stuff I am being asked to pay money for (like anime DVDs), you know?

But I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you on the "god" thing. It's just how I was taught in school. Anime smile
Ongaku_no_tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
The video (and many other videos on youtube) didn't work for me. I got a screen that told me to update to the latest version of Flash. I'm already using the latest version of Flash.

Has anyone else had this problem? If anyone has a solution to this, let me know.
Cait

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Ongaku_no_tenshi wrote:
The video (and many other videos on youtube) didn't work for me. I got a screen that told me to update to the latest version of Flash. I'm already using the latest version of Flash.

Has anyone else had this problem? If anyone has a solution to this, let me know.

You might want to try re-installing the newest version of flash. Try here for info:

http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=56115
Ongaku_no_tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
Ongaku_no_tenshi wrote:

You might want to try re-installing the newest version of flash. Try here for info:

http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=56115

It still didn't work. I followed the instructions, too. At this point, I 'm not sure what's wrong.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
Cait wrote:

I'm glad you appreciated my arguments. I half-expected that I would need to go into some long rant about the merits of grammar (again) and while I do consider myself to be strict about the subject, I don't particularly enjoy ramming it down anyone's throat. I don't get up in arms when people on forums make grammatical mistakes, only when they say, "grammar isn't important at all, you're being ridiculous." I also don't get up in arms when mistakes are seen in something I read for free (like ANN articles), just stuff I am being asked to pay money for (like anime DVDs), you know?

I'm glad you took the time to write that out, too. I'm somewhat of a grammar Nazi myself, so those sorts of little awkward phrasings and incorrect usages tend to jump out at me. Like you said, it was perfectly fine for a freebie web stream, but it would definitely need some touch-ups for domestic distribution.

As for the shorts themselves...well, they're not really meant for me at all, since I've never even seen the darn series to begin with. Razz Seeing the origins of the "nyoro~n" meme in semi-animated form was somewhat amusing, as was the sheep-Mikuru.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
I'm sorry, I didn't make my statement clear. What I meant was that, should this series get licensed, the fact that Kadokawa has the videos on YouTube would be an issue that would have to be addressed in negotiations. For example, if Bandai, or whoever, wanted to sell digital downloads of the series instead of providing them for free, they could, as part of the license agreement, ask Kadokawa to remove the videos from YouTube, or ask them to region block them from the R1 region, etc.

Mmm, that makes more sense, thank you for clarifying.

enurtsol wrote:
Also, most likely, these ONAs will just be extras on licensed DVDs instead of their own DVDs, so they wouldn't really be the deciding factor, even if people have already seen them, whether to buy the licensed DVDs.

Yes, it would take an awful lot of episodes to have their own DVD series. Mini Goddesses was one thing, but these episodes are only five minutes long. Not a lot to go on, so you might as well add them as extras. Heck, that would be funny if people were to buy the DVDs just to see the extras.
KendoGirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:36 am Reply with quote
Both were quite enjoyable. I loved the part where Kyon was counting sheep in his dream, and Churuya-san looks good in a "ha-ha" kind of way. Not enough to have me in stitches but it was pretty enjoyable.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I loved both! Very Happy Although I found Haruhi-chan more enjoyable than Churuya-san. They were both really funny and cute.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Ongaku_no_tenshi wrote:

I had that problem too. Unfortunately, my solution was that computer was 5 years old, and I was going to get a new computer soon anyway, so I'm afraid I'm not much help. I think it might have something to do with the firewall or internet security program (I was running McAfee 2003, I think), because I was having trouble with Funimation's forum, too, and got an error message there about such.
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Pocky Monster wrote:
I loved both! Very Happy Although I found Haruhi-chan more enjoyable than Churuya-san. They were both really funny and cute.

Agreed. The Churuya-san clip was a bit too abstract for my tastes, but it was still enjoyable. I really liked the Haruhi-chan clip; it's the perfect teaser to get us ready for the news season of TMoHS.

The translations were not perfect, but they were good enough to get the meaning across. There's no need to be picky, especially when they produced them so quickly. Overall, great two clips, and I will be looking forward to seeing next week's episodes.
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Ongaku_no_tenshi wrote:

I had the same issue with Nicovideo a few times. Try cleaning out your cookies that refer to Youtube, that'll probably fix it.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I keep getting the message that the videos are private. Anyone else have that?
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:
I keep getting the message that the videos are private. Anyone else have that?

I got that too... I wonder what happened!
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Same here, they keep giving me that message back.

In a lighter note, new clips are up. Anyone know what "Yasu is the culprit" is supposed to mean? And the second Churuya clip seems like an improvement over the first one for me. "She's dead." LOL
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6