• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Bottles in the Club

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roesnail

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
tarrin4ever wrote:
Holy moley! Funimation truly has become the uncontested big time anime distributor. I mean, everything in this week's Shelf Life is all Funi!

Maybe she didn't finish Kiba in time. lol.

funi is doing a great job right now. however im not buying none of there products until i get my NHK 6 that i pre orderd in the begining of dec.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
This is all "to me," though. It's not a series where I'd bash anyone for feeling differently. And the art is great. Same team made Kurenai, which is yet to be licensed but ought to be.

I wish the ending had been a little better, and the protagonist was again, retarded. Other than that, it was a strong enough show.

tarrin4ever wrote:
Holy moley! Funimation truly has become the uncontested big time anime distributor. I mean, everything in this week's Shelf Life is all Funi!

They only do brand new stuff though. Sure you can always say that old stuff doesn't sell the same, but it's really big for the fans of the stuff. Like Rightstuf bringing out Toward the Terra. I really hope they continue to do so.
zauberesel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You just soak beans overnight, pour them in, and press a button. Then boom! Fresh soy milk! And it tastes way better than that cardboard-tasting stuff you get at the grocery store. Y'all should consider getting one. It's fantastic

hey, cool! never knew making your own fresh soymillk could be so easy. do you recommend the brand/model that you have? and wishing you a happy birthday, bamboo!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I guessed it right when I said that shojo lolipop show would turn out bad. Completely harem and probably has zero direction.

I thought of watching Baccano, but after watching the preview, the series looked more violent than I would have thought. The artwork looked nice though.

Great reviews as always, I laughed and enjoyed the column as always.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
zauberesel wrote:
Quote:
You just soak beans overnight, pour them in, and press a button. Then boom! Fresh soy milk! And it tastes way better than that cardboard-tasting stuff you get at the grocery store. Y'all should consider getting one. It's fantastic

hey, cool! never knew making your own fresh soymillk could be so easy. do you recommend the brand/model that you have? and wishing you a happy birthday, bamboo!

I haven't used it yet, actually. I've only ever used the one that my parents have (I can't remember the brand), and theirs is great, so I'm just assuming mine will be great also. Very Happy

I have a Joyoung.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:27 am Reply with quote
Now I want to see Save My Lollipop simply because I like to see just how bad it can get. Just like I always try to check out Justin's Buried Garbage. Unfortunately, Netflix doesn't have Lollipop listed.

The only thing I can think of is that Sasami Magical Girls Club might have sold better than expected, so they picked this up thinking it was aimed at the same demographic. Either that, or it was a package deal with an A-list title they wanted.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Unfortunately, Netflix doesn't have Lollipop listed.

Look for Save Me! Lollipop, it is there. Now Lyrical Nanoha A's is a different story, unless someone knows the magical Netflix search words for it. I had all kinds of problems finding Air on netflix.

I broke down and bought the first Baccano and box when it showed up online for $19.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, Netflix doesn't have Lollipop listed.

Look for Save Me! Lollipop, it is there. Now Lyrical Nanoha A's is a different story, unless someone knows the magical Netflix search words for it. I had all kinds of problems finding Air on netflix.

I broke down and bought the first Baccano and box when it showed up online for $19.

It must have been just entered, because the other day I searched for it and it wasn't listed! It was weird too because their search autocomplete pulled up the name when I looked for it the other day, but when I hit enter it wasn't in the search list.

I just went ahead and picked up A's for cheap from Right Stuf, since I enjoyed the first series, and everyone seems to think A's is better. I think I only paid $29.99 on their weekly specials.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm suprised, Save Me! Lollipop's review was a lot less negative than I expected it to be. I watched that show when it came out and was excited for it back then since I mildly enjoyed the manga. I just can't see any company picking this dud up for any reason, other than maybe a joke. You didn't even comment on the animation, specificly episode 2, where it just gets laughably bad. They showed the same close-up of Ichi's face 3 times in that episode in three different locations, and didn't even bother to change the backround when they did it (so he's outside the school at one time, but the bg of the one scene has him in the school). Maybe they fixed it for the DVD version?

Other than that, Baccano! is now on my "to see" list.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:18 pm Reply with quote
It was probably apart of a package deal. "You want soul eater? You have to take this too."
stopher87

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Great collection.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:23 am Reply with quote
Shelf Life is one of the reasons that I want to have a more long-term residence sometime soon. I'd like to be able to get a sizable shelf or two so I can properly display my collection and submit photos. As it stands right now, it would look silly since I'm dealing with small shelves and literally have more anime than I can properly store.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:01 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
It was probably apart of a package deal. "You want soul eater? You have to take this too."

A package with Soul Eater? Not likely, as they don't share the same production companies, or much of anything, really.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I really have no idea why the hell Funimation bought the rights to the Lollipop anime. The manga is really just eye candy fun and humor. I enjoyed the manga. The anime was terrible. The animation was low budget, voice acting done by new comers and the story was servery screwed up. I was looking forward to this anime and was so disappointed when it came out.

If the anime was done right like shugo chara there wouldn't be problems. But re-using show footage in the opening goes to show you how low budget it was. They didn't even end it properly, even though the manga had ended!

The manga was lots of fun ^-^ I recommend the manga to people who like really colorful large eyes shoujo with romance and some comdey. It isn't like the best manga ever it was just fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3