• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JManga Adds Sun-Ken Rock, Dousei Ai, Matantei Loki Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrXarnus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Whas there a Q&A or something?
I REALLY want to know if there working on print-on-demand or something like that because seeing series getting published that I can't/will not buy is painfull Sad.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
OMG really?! Is that the first Loki that I see?! I have the two volumes of the second series that ADV released a long time ago, and the anime series they made of the first series, but I've always wanted to read the manga. I couldn't believe ADV only licensed and released the second half of it. Very Happy I might have to check this out!
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
MrXarnus wrote:
I REALLY want to know if there working on print-on-demand or something like that because seeing series getting published that I can't/will not buy is painfull Sad.

I suspect they want to get their mobile apps out before they even start talking about POD - do one thing at a time with care, rather than several things haphazardly, right?

BTW, is there a reason you can't or won't buy JManga titles at present? I had hesitated because I currently need Flash to read them and Flash hates Macs, but I'm curious to see if other people feel the same or have different reasons.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I've bought a few titles from them and have read a few of them online (PC owner here). Bad editing =/. I'm really waiting for their mobile app to come out though. I want to read the 2nd volume of that Anesthesiologist title. lol
MrXarnus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:
MrXarnus wrote:

BTW, is there a reason you can't or won't buy JManga titles at present? I had hesitated because I currently need Flash to read them and Flash hates Macs, but I'm curious to see if other people feel the same or have different reasons.

For the most part, I wont pay for something I don't enjoy (that is digital manga in any form, I don't read the umm... not-so legal kind of scan's either, and I have serveral reasons for not liking digital manga!) Does that sound weird to you?
Also alot of titels aren't availale (yet?) where I live.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't sound weird at all. For me, digital manga before the iPhone 4's Retina display (or just the iPad) was annoying to read - I didn't feel like I could page through it in any reasonable way. I still get that feeling from JManga's Flash application, but because of other digital manga apps on iOS I've gotten used to the idea, at least.

And I'd forgotten about issues of international availability as well.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I dont like digital manga because its too easy to lose forever plus i like having a large display of books.

Would love to see sun-ken-rock in print as well as some of those del-rey titles.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Ack. I really want to support these guys, and I absolutely LOVE Loki, but I imported the Japanese editions years back, and worked with some friends to help translate most of them and I just can't justify paying for a digital edition.

Now if they get a print on demand service of some sort I will be all over them, throwing all my money at them that is not used for bills.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In addition, JManga revealed it will release its iOS and Android apps in October.

Well, at least they finally committed to a date. They've been adding good content and cleaning up their weird payment system… slowly getting it together.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Crossing my fingers for nodame cantabile, moyashimon, and beck. Dousei Ai and Garden look interesting might check out Sun-ken Rock too.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
MrXarnus wrote:

I'd love to know that as well. Print-on-demand has always seemed like the ideal outcome for buying hard copies of more obscure titles.

I'm really excited for Dousei Ai; everything I've read by Mizushiro has been excellent so far.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Seconding (thirding? fourthing?) print on demand for JManga titles! I am one of those people who just doesn't like reading on a screen. I've bought some volumes from JManga, but I very rarely sit down to actually read them. Anime smile + sweatdrop

I would love to have The Good Witch of the West #7 on my bookshelf alongside the other six from Tokyopop! Right Stuf, are you listening? Make it happen! xD
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
OMG I HOPE JMANGA GOT LIFE AND BECK!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
I would love to have The Good Witch of the West #7 on my bookshelf alongside the other six from Tokyopop! Right Stuf, are you listening? Make it happen! xD

God yes. It's so unfair they dropped the series at the final volume. They could just put it all in omnibus format and I'd be happy just to have the series completed. Same with Loki.

I'm hoping one of those series from Tokyopop that they picked up is Gakuen Alice. Tokyopop stopped around volume 16, but the series is still running strong in Japan and it doesn't look like anyone else is going to pick up the cute sci-fi/fantasy series about elementary/middle schoolers that now is getting close to 30 volumes. I'd like to see a legal option for it, even if it is only digital. If they eventually do manage to work in a print in demand option, I'd happily buy it up.

I think Ai Yazawa's Paradise Kiss is another long OOP Tokyopop option they could pick up. Viz and Dark Horse don't seem interested in a re-release of it at all and that's just a shame.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

I think Ai Yazawa's Paradise Kiss is another long OOP Tokyopop option they could pick up. Viz and Dark Horse don't seem interested in a re-release of it at all and that's just a shame.

Vertical is re-releasing that later this year in two omnibuses, with new cover art.
http://www.amazon.com/Paradise-Kiss-Part-Ai-Yazawa/dp/1935654713/ref=sr_1_3
http://www.amazon.com/Paradise-Kiss-Part-Ai-Yazawa/dp/1935654721/ref=pd_sim_b_3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2