• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV FIlms Announces Fan Club Program

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:13 pm Reply with quote
You know what? I think the RIT anime club (of which I'm in) may be involved in this program since our club president did mention something like this before our Thanksgiving break.

Guess I'll find out in our next meeting tonight. Very Happy
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Who needs liscensed anime when you've got Yakitate!! Japan?

Clever name. Hopefully some of those goodies will be worth it (i.e. spiffy merchandise, free DVD's, awesome contests, etc.)
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:18 pm Reply with quote
My only worry is I dont ADV muscleing in and going ok now club since we sent you stuff you must show show xxx.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Stueypark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:03 pm Reply with quote
If they send you a DVD, they are going to expect the club to watch it, and then fill out a survery on ADV's website. It's how most of these programs work. And if enough people don't fill out teh survery's they stop sending things to the club.
hikura

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Not a bad idea at all.I am surpised that a company have only now started to do this after all this time.
JJR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Bandai has had their Anime Addict program for 2 years now and Funimation has had their Operation Anime program for about a year and a half if I remember correctly. (tho the latter basically was relaunched due to lack of updates recently)

I honestly feel that ADV is a bit late to the game of an organized anime club program, however they have always been more than happy to help out our anime club in regards to giveaway items or a screener here or there. =)

Now the wait is on for Geneon to setup something... (or just reply to my e-mails -_-; )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hikura

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I did not know this.Thanks for the info.
Jimmy Balls-O-Steel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:58 pm Reply with quote
JJR wrote:
Now the wait is on for Geneon to setup something... (or just reply to my e-mails -_-; )

With the way those douchebags have been acting, don't hold your breath. Pardon my French, but those guys don't seem to give a fudge about the fans. (I know you admins here don't like swearing, and I do what I can to respect your wishes. However, my thoughts on Genoen pretty much require the use of such strong language.)

I hope ADV will consider opening this promotion up to Canadian anime clubs.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:47 am Reply with quote
Today's fanclub members are tommorow's customers. ADV is getting a head start on the competition.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:39 am Reply with quote
JJR wrote:
Bandai has had their Anime Addict program for 2 years now and Funimation has had their Operation Anime program for about a year and a half if I remember correctly. (tho the latter basically was relaunched due to lack of updates recently)

I honestly feel that ADV is a bit late to the game of an organized anime club program, however they have always been more than happy to help out our anime club in regards to giveaway items or a screener here or there. =)

Don't I know it... I got a business card at AX and was told to e-mail them. I did, but as with you, I've heard nothing back.

My concern with ADV's new program is that it requires sponsorship of a library or educational institution. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that it takes into account that there are some independent clubs that have been successful as well. As such, it appears doubtful that my club will be able to get in on this particular offer, inspite of having had good relationships with other companies within the industry.

Ah well, I've sent off e-mail anyway. I can hope for a small exception, if nothing else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nats

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:01 am Reply with quote
Yep, FUNi has had Operation Anime for about 2 years now. It did take a small haitus when the orignal person working on it got overloaded with work, so a new person was hired on just for Operation Anime.
Operation Anime runs much like Stueypark said, DVDs are sent for the club to keep all that's asked is that a survey is filled out and sent back to the company.
We make no bones about the fact that the survey is to help us figure out what people like and don't like. We get info, they get free goodies. ^_~

I think it helps that the person that does all the approving and mailout for Operation Anime happens to be the president of her own college anime club. ^^

(Just so this doesn't seem like some squirrelly post, I do work for said company, it's just that I'm really proud of our program)
thatstoodamnbad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:23 pm Reply with quote
The concept sounds good, but while I was signing up my club I was wondering if this would be a way that ADV could surreptisiously put its influence into my club. But hey, a free DVD is at least worth the time to halfheartedly watch.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Unless you have to agree to some kind of wonky contract (which won't happen since the contact people are not required to be at least the age of 18) the only thing ADV can really do is send the free DVD's and promo stuff and ask for the surveys in return. Since there is a lack of a contract, there is no way for them to exert any type of influence over the club other than hope that their stuff will be watched.

Fortunately, they've said I could apply even without the "standard" sponsorship... that is, we have a store that we meet in sponsoring us as opposed to the library, etc. that they were looking for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
JJR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Don't I know it... I got a business card at AX and was told to e-mail them. I did, but as with you, I've heard nothing back.

My concern with ADV's new program is that it requires sponsorship of a library or educational institution. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that it takes into account that there are some independent clubs that have been successful as well. As such, it appears doubtful that my club will be able to get in on this particular offer, inspite of having had good relationships with other companies within the industry.

Ah well, I've sent off e-mail anyway. I can hope for a small exception, if nothing else.

I just ended up calling Steven Tang at around 8 PM a few days ago and got him to shoot of an aproval e-mail to me - it just sounds like the guy has many different responsibilities that unfortunately has made things like missed e-mails happen every so often.

ADV and Bandai both ask for a school or a library sponsor your club in their requirements to join. I've been lucky tho as I've been in contact with the anime companies for a few years now so I believe I musta got grandfathered into these programs. =) It doesn't hurt that I am somewhat of a goofball to them as well. Anime smile:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1