• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Abyss Stares Back

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
One of the problems I had with Towa no Quon is how preachy it is. spoiler[It claims that killing is wrong even though Quon was entirely justified in killing the guys who destroyed his village. He's still moping about it centuries later, and when the children learned that he had killed murderers they freak out thinking he is a monster. Um, hello, there's nothing wrong with executing murderers who had just wiped out your friends and family. What was he supposed to do? Let them go so they could burn down another village?]

The show in general had its moments but it suffered from frequent bouts of bad writing, some of them quite glaring. I dropped it after episode four, as the the final (though not the biggest) straw for me was the episode's cliffhanger. spoiler[It tried to make a big deal out of how Quon had apparently died even though we know he is capable of regenerating from those wounds.] There was just no tension in it.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
[straightens up such that my faded "Worst Episode Ever" T-shirt which clearly no longer fits due to my expanded, now only partially covered gut]

AHEM, I'm AFRAID that's no GUNDAM with the serial numbers filed off in the penultimate episode of Golgo 13! The jungle setting combined with the size, aesthetic, and name of the robot ("Armored Suit SDR2") is no doubt intended to evoke Chirico Cuvie and a Scopedog from Sunrise's Armored Trooper VOTOMS!

[discards pedantic nerd outfit, replaces with standard attire of bootleg DBZ club shirt featuring Trunks with sword and the word "Chobits" written in kanji over it]

As I noted in my Otaku USA review: "perhaps the only thing better than a 'Perfect Soldier' is a 'Perfect Machine of Snipe'!" But man. At long last, the day has come. The day when once again, all of the Golgo 13 anime ever made has been released in English in the US. Whatever can the future offer us as we wait an inevitable decade for Duke Togo to return to us? It's up to you once more, Jigen Daisuke.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:21 am Reply with quote
Erin wrote:
(did George Lucas copyright the word “clone”?). A large group of replicants decide to do something heroic that I won't spoil here…
Did Michael Deeley and Ridley Scott, copyright the word replicant? Laughing
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
The word isn't even "replicant", it's replica. Which is a perfectly common word used for something that resembles the original, but isn't, which is what the replicas are. "Clone" would imply a) exact duplicas (which they aren't), and b) only living beings (which they aren't). "Clone" is not the appropriate word to use, "replica" is.

Also, the name of the planet is Auldrant.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
"Dawww, lookit all the cute mutant children living in an amusment part where everyone is so friendly! And the little girl who talks to animals! And the girl who heals her super-nice grandma with her singing voice! And Quan is such an idealistic guy who loves flowers and wants to save everyone!"

Although I do agree with your point that it can be saccharine at times, I'm going to disagree with the general forum assessment that episode two sucked. The boy who could talk to flowers ultimately spoiler[could not be saved and flipped out] because the other kids in the garden made fun of him. They were dicks to one of their own kind and he basically spoiler[went postal]. Between that and the fact that he spoiler[couldn't be saved] I thought it added a dark edge to the show.

Echo_City wrote:
Towanoquon wasn't the greatest thing ever, though my complaints are largely with the ending, where the "villain" makes a series of cliched gaffes that serve no purpose except to allow the outclassed "hero" to defeat him...and what they do to the "villain" after they defeat him was so disgustingly sadistic that it can only be described as being a "dick move".

I wasn't too big on the villain either, although my husband though he was effective. I've seen less believable villains, sure, but he wasn't that scary either. The way they handled the villain at the end reminded me of The Legend of Korra, or the end of The Last Airbender (not the movie). That is to say spoiler[they were too chicken to kill him].

Anime World Order wrote:
("Armored Suit SDR2") is no doubt intended to evoke Chirico Cuvie and a Scopedog from Sunrise's Armored Trooper VOTOMS!

I've never seen VOTOMS.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Erin wrote:
(did George Lucas copyright the word “clone”?). A large group of replicants decide to do something heroic that I won't spoil here…
Did Michael Deeley and Ridley Scott, copyright the word replicant? Laughing

My husband wanted to work a Ridley Scott jab in there...

Dessa wrote:
The word isn't even "replicant", it's replica. Which is a perfectly common word used for something that resembles the original, but isn't, which is what the replicas are. "Clone" would imply a) exact duplicas (which they aren't), and b) only living beings (which they aren't). "Clone" is not the appropriate word to use, "replica" is.

I swear the subs said "replicants". Also, they looked alive to me! Maybe my mind wandered during the explanation...

Dessa wrote:
Also, the name of the planet is Auldrant.

I swear I looked for the name of the planet for several minutes, unsuccessfully. Eventually I just had to turn the column in. I do try to get these things right...
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
I swear the subs said "replicants". Also, they looked alive to me! Maybe my mind wandered during the explanation...

I could be wrong but I think Dessa meant that in TotA, non-living things can be "replicated" using the same fonon voodoo, not that the replica characters aren't alive (and so you wouldn't use the word "clone" to describe a copy of something inorganic).

As for replica vs replicant, I'm not sure what the official subs for the show say, but in the game they definitely use the word "replica" both in text and in the vocal work.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Planet Symphonia? My eyebrow is raised. You're thinking of the wrong game.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I never saw "replicant" in the subs anywhere. And yes, there were inorganic replicas. Like, say, the entire area the final battle was held, which was a replica of the island of Hod (where Van and Guy had been born).
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Are you a replican or a replicant?

dtm42 wrote:
One of the problems I had with Towa no Quon is how preachy it is. spoiler[It claims that killing is wrong even though Quon was entirely justified in killing the guys who destroyed his village. He's still moping about it centuries later, and when the children learned that he had killed murderers they freak out thinking he is a monster. Um, hello, there's nothing wrong with executing murderers who had just wiped out your friends and family. What was he supposed to do? Let them go so they could burn down another village?]

I've seen this weird doublethink about moral standards elsewhere, notably in Detective Conan, where some of the victims were absolute monsters, but there's never the slightest suggestion that their murder might have been righteous. I don't know whether this is simply an example of clashing tropes, or part of the Japanese conformist culture in which you have to espouse these opinions for the sake of social order. Or maybe it's just a requirement for "kids" shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2