• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st 2 Madoka Magica Films' English-Subtitled Trailer Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
and they just spoiled over half the series secrets in one trailer, way to go
testyal1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Screening in France and Italy, but not the UK, Germany, Netherlands and the rest of Europe for that matter?

Stupid international laws.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
So, I was under the impression that the movie was supposed to be like an alternate take on the show, but it seems like it's just going to be a truncated version of the series split into 3 parts a la Evangellion. If that's the case and you've already seen the series, what would be the point in watching this?
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
So, I was under the impression that the movie was supposed to be like an alternate take on the show, but it seems like it's just going to be a truncated version of the series split into 3 parts a la Evangellion. If that's the case and you've already seen the series, what would be the point in watching this?

First two movies are recaps. Think of them as specials. There might be differences though. Keyword: MIGHT.

Third movie is said to be new.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:

Its like you didn't pay any attention to what was actually stated about the movies.

Movies 1 and 2 are recaps, the third is a sequel. This has been clearly stated in basically every article about the movies.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention that only the first Rebuild movie was a recap. If you didn't see 2.22 and you're at all interested in Eva then you are really missing out.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Well that was a giant spoiler. I get that they want to show off how dark it is, but spoiling the thing that made a lot of people stick with the show seems like a very very bad idea that could piss off a lot of people.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Why no UK date? Anime cry

Also guys, what spoilers? I've watched the show many times and Madoka's potential was outright said very early into the series. Also, it was fairly obvious from the outset that Sayaka was going to become a Magical Girl.

They only thing kind of spoilt is spoiler[Mami's death], but unless you've already seen the series, you wouldn't know that.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
kakoishii wrote:

Its like you didn't pay any attention to what was actually stated about the movies.

Movies 1 and 2 are recaps, the third is a sequel. This has been clearly stated in basically every article about the movies.

Way to be a judgmental tool about it Rolling Eyes but then again it's almost like you can't help it. This is actually the first article on the movie I actually read and didn't just skim over. But thanks Lynx for explaining it without being a condescending doucher about it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
If you'd read the whole article, you'd see it makes the same point as every other article on the movies(emphasis added):
This Very Article wrote:
Producer Atsuhiro Iwakami had revealed last November that the film trilogy will begin with a two-part compilation of the original television series, followed by an all-new film.
You can't really play innocent on that point.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
They only thing kind of spoilt is spoiler[Mami's death], but unless you've already seen the series, you wouldn't know that.

Even if I hadn't seen it before, it's strongly implied that spoiler[Mami is eaten/killed gruesomely]. That scene alone is the reason I finished the series and even having it vaguely spoiled would have lowered my enjoyment. Why run the risk of doing that for new viewers?
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:

Giant screen, awesome sound system, surrounded by fans who cheer at the awesome parts ... yeah, I don't see it either.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

To be more truthful, all we know about the third movie is that is "new".
It has yet to be explicitly confirmed whether it will be a sequel, a side-story, or something else.
Nemo of Mentis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote
Spoilers? Is there anyone in the audience for this trailer that doesn't already know what it's about? It seems targeted at a very specific audience.

Anyway, whether or not the films actually do anything significantly different from the TV show, I'll be honest. Madoka Magica has extraordinary art direction as is. Just imagine how it'll look with a theatrical film budget. Yes, the disc release fixes a lot of the quality control problems, but the animation is still basically the same. I'm looking forward to this on that merit alone.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
After looking at the trailer, I just wonder why I would even watch the movies, I have already seen and own the series, and slightly better graphics don't seem to be that enticing. If I did not know better I would have thought the scenes were from the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2