• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Shine We Are

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UberTai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Nice column, but BoA actually recorded "Shine We Are" in Japanese first, then Korean (as opposed to Korean > Japanese like the column says). I'm 99% sure I'm right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:39 pm Reply with quote
tropical_kit wrote:
A quick comment on the column's preamble: Never lament a person learning even a little of another language. And what makes all music sound the same is bureaucracy-created "product", not being multilingual.

Right, but I think a lot of the reasons why artists are striving to be multilingual is not because they want to expand their language arsenal, but because they want to sell more CDs... (though I'm sure there are some artists who do learn a language purely because they want to.) I cheer on anyone who wants to learn more languages, but I'd hate to see the pursuit of "bureaucracy-created products" a reason for some artists to try to change their music to conform better to the current market trend.!

UberTai wrote:
Nice column, but BoA actually recorded "Shine We Are" in Japanese first, then Korean (as opposed to Korean > Japanese like the column says). I'm 99% sure I'm right.

I couldn't quite figure it out, actually. I bought the Korean version of Shine We Are, and took a look at the lyrics booklet. Half of the song lyrics have the preface, "Korean Lyrics by XXXX" while the other half just have "Lyrics written by XXXX" (including "Shine We Are," which stated "Lyrics written by BoA") So I'm guessing that some of them were first written in Japanese and then translated, and some of them vice versa.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I appreciate it
Anti-Mainstreamist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:16 am Reply with quote
What, am I the only anime fan in America who didn't like Evangelion?
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:32 am Reply with quote
Anti-Mainstreamist wrote:

Seconded.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the wonderful column! I rushed out to get the next installment of Eva as soon as it came out. ^_^ I'm glad I waited and waited to buy this series; I'm probably one of the only Eva fans who is buying this for the first time. My favorite part of Eva Platinum are the episode commentaries in the booklets, actually. I love reading about the animation production of each episode, and the notes are even helping me sift through the story much better. Do you know if these commentaries are translated from the Japanese release, or were they written for the American release?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
onefiddyone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Jimmy Balls-O-Steel wrote:
Wait a sec...

Hasn't the Berserk Box Set been available for quite some time, now? I've seen it on shelves since early this year/late last year. The box art is different, mind you, but stil...

Box art isn't only thing. I pre ordered it (have never seen the show but have the pretty good Dreamcast game) from Right Stuff which listed it as "Berserk Season 1 Brick" or something along those lines. Assumed the six discs would be in the type of box that has become quite popular for inexpensive boxed sets, the type that are like a really thick dvd case with several folds. This however disapointed me with the worst packaging I've ever had. All six discs are cramed into a box the thickness of two dvd cases. Frist off the list of episodes/add for other shows numbers doesnt have a slot in the case just sortta floats around. Secondly my main problem is to getto one dvd you have to take two out. The dvds are stacked so to get to the bottom one you have to remove both.

But enough complaining I got it for $45 and it's a great show.

P.S. The Eva Platinum's are great dvds.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Seconded.
I didn't like it either and I live in the UK.

On Wedding Peach now and I got the manga for my young daughter. I had to read it before her just to be on the safe side. Cool It is Shoujo targeted towards girls aged 8+ so being a bit sugary was expected. but the plot was pretty good (no pun intended), and the tranformations only lasted for a page. The GN only lasted 7 volumes before it allegedly had to stop because it was being made into an anime, according to the author. But it sounds like the anime is only half as good as the manga. Now where have I heard this before?

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
biliano*

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I'm probably one of the only Eva fans who is buying this for the first time.

You're not alone, Cloe. I'm also buying Eva for the first time; but instead of getting the older editions, I purposely waited for the Platinum discs to come out.
Rion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:27 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

Personally, I was amazed by the ending. Well, amazed and distubed. If you think of the first episode, or read even the beginning of the manga, you knew somehting funky would happen. It is told as one big flashback. Plus if you continue the story in the manga, it gets so much more amazing! I've been getting them as they come out in the US, but also getting the Japanese volumes online. It's an epic story and the anime is only the first part of it. After the eclipse, things get so much better.. and by better I mean more messed up.. in a good way.

For someone who never read the manga though.....that ending could of had way more......shall we say closeure than it did.....

I would of liked if it was an actual solid conclusion instead of setting up another story....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Seconded.
I didn't like it either and I live in the UK.

From what I can tell, there are many people out there who think Eva is a pile of garbage, but there are more people who like Eva, so the general consensus is that Eva is good. I don't care about what other people think, I just think it's a deep and involving show, but it's good that not everyone goes along with what others say.

I decided to buy the Platinum Editions once I realized that my version of Eva was bootleg (note to self: don't buy region 0 off of eBay/Amazon private vendors). My favorite part of the Platinum Edition so far (other than the really cool packaging and remastering) is the NERV car decal in the first disc, with those awesome booklets coming in a close second. Now I just need a decent car to put my decal on...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2