• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Penguin Dreams

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:02 am Reply with quote
mouseover wrote:
...in Our country, light come from crotch

What is this, Kekko Kamen?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
Glad to know that 'Matsuno Yasumi' is back in the saddle. Not that he ever went away.

I'm definitely considering 'Legacy of Ys Book I & II'. I'd been curious about that series for awhile but never had the chance to look into it or play it. I'm looking to play more retro type rpgs (like the old school FFs) so this is definitely on my next to buy list.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:01 am Reply with quote
OK, I'm an idiot- I somehow missed that this article had mouseovers until that quote up there. Embarassed

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to hit the archives and see what jokes I've missed...
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
What no Onechanbara? Oh well. I want the prinny game. It can't possibly be as bad as Persona 4 which I am making my way though right now.

???? Shocked

All video game opinions you have are now dead.

But on the column, I'll be picking up Ys for the DS. I actually even liked Ys III.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't mean that P4 is bad. It's amazing. The review says that the Prinny game is tedious and it can't possibly be more so than Persona 4.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Power Instinct: I remember reading about this in another old game magazine. The denture shooting grandma never ceased to make me laugh Anime hyper

Although I didn't realize there were more Power Instinct games this whole time. Wow, talk about naive me Anime hyper

Blue Dragon DS: I wonder if I'm really missing anything by not having a DS. I like Blue Dragon well enough, but I feel like this franchise is going to get milked by dishing out sequel after sequel.

Legacy of Ys: Well, if anything, there are tons of soundtracks to the Ys series. Way too many for a budget tight fan to enjoy all of them.

Star Ocean: We'd better enjoy and be grateful for this one. It's the final game of the Star Ocean series. They're not making anymore after this. And I hope they put the anime portraits back in somehow, or I'm going to write Squeenix a nasty letter.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Star Ocean: We'd better enjoy and be grateful for this one. It's the final game of the Star Ocean series. They're not making anymore after this. And I hope they put the anime portraits back in somehow, or I'm going to write Squeenix a nasty letter.

Makes for nice DLC, don't you think? Wink

For some reason the newest Star Ocean annoys the heck out of me. It's got a really interesting premise (post-WWIII space exploration), but other than that it seems to be just filled the usual JRPG fluff (swords, teenagers, magic, elves etc.). I haven't played the previous ones though.

BTW, isn't it finally about time for that Gaming subforum?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Makes for nice DLC, don't you think? Wink

For some reason the newest Star Ocean annoys the heck out of me. It's got a really interesting premise (post-WWIII space exploration), but other than that it seems to be just filled the usual JRPG fluff (swords, teenagers, magic, elves etc.). I haven't played the previous ones though.

BTW, isn't it finally about time for that Gaming subforum?

Well, this will take place before Roddick and his friends saved the universe in SO1 so I expect that despite the pretty visuals, it may have an even simpler plot.

...Oh god I hope not D=
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Big props for the Total Overdose reference. I just recently played that for the first time on GameTap, and it's just about the most fun I've ever had with a video game. Take about every single gunfighting and action movie cliche ever spawned, slather it all with a thick layer of tongue-in-cheek Mexican stereotypes, and you have a winner. It disappoints me that the gaming industry isn't able to churn out more of those sorts of titles, though the upcoming "Eat Lead" seems to be along those lines in its own unique way.

...as for the column itself, per usual, I don't have opinions either way on any of the games covered. At least for the moment, my knowledge of Japanese gaming doesn't go much further than Mario and Zelda. Razz
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I have to ask, does ANYONE care about "Generic Animu Fighter 421" from Sega when STREET FUCKIN' FIGHTER IV is out this week?
Copyrighted Name

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Also, will that new Ys remake have the same stupid battle system of...running into enemies and overpowering them with your stats? Seriously, DUMBEST BATTLE SYSTEM EVER.

Gotta ask... have you actually TRIED it yet? It's not just random stats, you have to hit them the right way, as shown here:

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/ys/ys.htm
Copyrighted Name

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Also, will that new Ys remake have the same stupid battle system of...running into enemies and overpowering them with your stats? Seriously, DUMBEST BATTLE SYSTEM EVER.

Rolling Eyes

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/ys/ys.htm
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Onechanbara.... You should SEE confused people trying to pronounce it >_> Why would they squish two words (and one -chan) together like that? >_> Confused me until I read that it's really supposed to be oneE-chan + bara :/ Blah. Oh well, it's one of those... yeahhhhh titles so whatever if they mess it up and people call it 'one-chan bara' or 'the one game'.

However, concerning Dead Rising on Wii, I found this humorous: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/090125.jpg

Nono, I'm NOT trying to start a Wii debate, I just found it funny^^
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote
Well I guess "Young women samurai warriors" or "big sister samurai" didn't have a nice ring to it so they stuck with the word that confuses everyone instead.
ani12

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
I guess I will be getting Star Ocean and the Prinny game...dood Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3