• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote
Best:

1. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Two seasons and one movie of pure greatness. Excellent stories, characters and world, top notch production values and superb music.

2. Planetes
A great, realistic scifi series about exploration, love and life in space. Really loved the characters in this one. The ending merits special mention for the way it was handled.

3. Cowboy Bebop
Classic. The only complaint that I have is that it could have had more "plot" episodes and more character development for Julia and Vicious.

4. Texhnolyze
Dark, violent, surreal and probably the best ending I have ever seen in anime.

5. Samurai Champloo
THE Best. Samurai. Series. EVER!!! Pure cool.

6. Gurren Lagann
Completely cliched, totally ridiculous and utterly unoriginal, yet it somehow manages to rise above it all and become one of the most epic and awesome action series ever. Forget Eva, THIS is the true testament to Gainax's skill.

7. RahXephon
Evangelion +++

8. Flag
Political and military intrigue with some realistic mecha action, all told with a unique gimmick. The ending was a bit of a downer though.

9. Kino's Journey
Great, dreamlike road series, despite some poor episodes.

10. Azumanga Daioh
A bunch of girls go through high school and nothing special ever really happens. It's great!

Worst:

More of a list of my worst disappointments, haven't really seen any truly crappy anime.

1. Elfen Lied
Stopped watching after episode 4, mainly because I absolutely hated the characters. I wanted to strangle them so bad, especially Nyu and Kohta.

2. Naruto
Watched the first twenty episodes, but failed to see what all the fuzz was about. Unlikable cast and way too slow pacing.

3. Nadesico
Too silly to be taken seriously, too serious to be parody, it just doesn't work either way. They should have just dropped all the serious stuff and made this a full blown mecha parody series.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I will eventually probably just post a new list instead of updating my one on page 71 (or something, it's in the catalog at the beginning), but for now, I've updated it to add Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I already want to watch it again, I just marathoned and finished it for the first time on Saturday. Man, that was awesome!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
1. Neon Genesis Evangelion - I know that many think this show is overrated and doesn't deserve near the acclaim that it receives, but it honestly was the anime that hooked me. The intricate plot and the way the characters developed really fascinated me. The ending didn't exactly sit well with me, but I also love End of Evangelion for the different look.

2. Honey and Clover - This series hit me right at an interesting point. I had graduated from high school and was about to make my own journey to the university, similar to that which Takemoto experiences. The characters are all excellent and the comedy is top notch. Now having re-watched the series in college, I gain even more appreciation for the bit of insight it contains about life.

3. Haibane Renmei - I love all of ABe's creations, but this is definitely what I consider his best work. The atmosphere of this world that is completely enclosed whose winged inhabitants just try to live life as they can is certainly worth watching alone. However, the situations which the Charcoal Feathers find themselves in and the symbolism contained therein makes this show a true treasure.

4. The Full Metal Panic trilogy - All three seasons of Full Metal Panic can be earnestly enjoyed. There's always something for the comedy fan and the action fan, and even sometimes something for the romance fan. Sousuke's hilarious antics never seem to get old, and the much darker Second Raid provides great contrast to the light hearted Fumoffu.

5. Hunter X Hunter + OVAs - This is probably the one anime that is hard to explain why I've rated it so highly. It's my favorite shounen mostly due to the characters (Gon, Leorio, Killiua, Kurapica, and Hisoka are all great characters), but also the somewhat gruesome content that it contains. Also, it being only around 80 episodes in length make it one of the short shounen series, which I consider a plus, due to the near-complete absence of filler.

6. Air TV - This was my first experience with KyoAni, and, having played the Kanon game earlier, I knew that I would be in for a real treat. It certainly was. The Summer Arc (the 2nd) is probably my favorite story arc ever in a Key game, as it can elicit so many emotions at the same time when watching. The 3rd Arc is also very emotional and extremely well done. The symbolic nature of the series also makes me enjoy it so much more upon re-watching it.

7. Serial Experiments Lain - "And you don't even understand", the first line of "Duvet" the opening theme of Lain explains pretty much how I felt the first time when I watched Lain. Luckily, I bought the series and have been able to watch many times since then. Each time I view it I seem to develop different theories and notice things that I had not noticed before. Such is a sign of a well done anime.

8. One Piece - I said before that I like short shounens, and this one most certainly is not. However, despite having seen over 340 episodes of it, I'm still not tired of it. I still want more. Oda's characters are so goofy and entertaining, particularly when they interact with each other, but the way that characters from 100s of episodes back keep re-appearing makes it seem like the world of One Piece really is interconnected. Oda makes sure that not a single character is wasted.

9. Major - What's this? A sports anime? That's not Hikaru no Go? Indeed, I love Major. I'm speaking particularly about the first season which deals with the growth of a boy and his determination to become a good baseball player, just like his father. Major scores (hah, pun) not only on the baseball diamond, but also off of it. The dynamic characters of Toshiya, Shimizu, and Komori, along with Goro, particularly shine. As I was watching I just couldn't help myself but cheer on Goro and the rest of the Mifune Dolphins.

10. Kaiba - Ahhh Kaiba. It features certainly one of the most unique styles of artwork that I have ever seen. One might even get the wrong idea that the show is intended for children because of the very simple character designs, but that person would be very, very wrong. Kaiba is the most mature anime that came out in '08. Yes, that means even more mature than Mnesomyne (or however it is spelled). The idea of someone's memories being bought, along with their body, to give the rich the equivalent of immortality is certainly intriguing, and the show will simply not disappoint seinen anime fans.
Jackee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
1: Code Geass R2 - Put this top because I like to separate this second season from the first, it really took Code Geass to another level. I loved a majority of the characters and I loved the pacing of the entire series. epic epic epic. not only was it just mechs and combat but it added drama elements to it which made it a near perfect anime for me and i find it hard that something will come close to rivalling it for a while.

2: Soul Eater
- Until Soul Eater came along. Boy, was i blown away with Soul Eater. All the characters were really good and well developed and I even had a soft spot for Medusa even though she's the villain. Maka, Blackstar, Death the Kid, all strong characters with their own positive personality traits. comedy + action anime. cant go wrong there and i've come to love Soul Eater more and more.

3: Code Geass
- totally blew my mind away with its story and plot. i just love the anti-hero protagonist. and set the stardards for its follow-up second season. just incredible.

4: Death Note - the battle of wits and the use of the anti-hero protagonist created this wonderful and intelligent anime. whos going to win?? who you want to win?? was set in the audience mind and split audience. normally anime has good side and bad side, but Death Note created this where you want one to win for their own reason. i just loved this idea.

5: School Rumble - very funny romantic comedy set in school. Tsukumato and Harima Kenji and their stupid ways, make them lovable characters in their pursuit of love.

6: Macross Frontier
- toally loved the space combat and plus the songs blew me away.

7: Fate Stay Night
- epic epic action and i fell in love with Saber. i watched this 8 hours straight and loved every bit of it.

8: Claymore - pretty nice gory/action anime, even though im really a big fan of gore but the gore isnt overly use

9: Detective Academy Q - a very nice detective anime with intriguing characters

10: Gundam 00 - my first Gundam and its actually quite good but the downside for me, is that theres too many characters and i get confuse whos who sometimes.

Last edited by Jackee on Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
llamaben

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:17 am Reply with quote
My top 10:

#1: Gintama - Absolutely hilarious, and great action when intended. Also has the ability to create tears, and completely switch genres for acouple of episodes. The characters are perfect, and the animation is top notch.

#2: Code Geass + R2 - Brilliant anime, and always leaves suspense. Although I don't really like mecha anime, the strategic side of Code Geass is brilliant.

#3: One Piece - Definitely not a masterpiece, however it has maintained quite a high standard for over 390 episodes. Personally I prefer longer anime, as long as they have a good plot, as, One Piece does thanks to the awesome Mangaka.

#4: Rurouni Kenshin Season 2 (Episodes 28-62) - The first season is alright, while season 3 isn't great, but, Season 2 is what really deserves this rank. It was simply amazing.

#5: Death Note - Like One Piece, this came from the awesome Mangaka. The anime was nowhere as good as the Manga, but, still gets this ranking by me for the physiological side of things, which, in unmatched in any other manga/anime.

--- Big gap between top 5 and rest ---

#6: Gurren Lagann - As said in a post above, used the most basic cliched idea, combined with brilliant animation to create a great series.

#7: Great Teacher Onizuka - Another great comedy anime. GTO excels in characterization, second only to Gintama.

--- Another Gap ---

#8: To Aru Majutsu no Index - Although this anime has some issues (mainly the science arcs), the magic arcs are outstanding.

#9: Histories Strongest Disciple Kenichi - Like Gurren Lagann, a very unoriginal idea, however it has a certain spark which makes it so enjoyable.

#10: Too hard to pick, would be out of Higurashi series, Hunter X Hunter, Akikan, and Eyeshield 21.

My Worst:

#1 FLCL - Just utterly stupid, terrible humour and a storyline thats impossible to follow.

#2 Nothing - I've dropped other animes, but IMO nothing other then FLCL deserve to be on a worst list.
bluesmurf13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:17 am Reply with quote
1. Ef: a Tale of Memories (series w/sequel)
- A truly beautiful and moving anime. The visual imagery brilliantly captured the mood of each scene, and its surreality added another great kick. However, what truly hooked me was the character development and the anime's depiction of the two main heroines' plights. The story is a sad and heart-moving one which really gripped me. I don't want to spoil it for people, so I won't go too far into detail, but the anime does a great job of showing how each character deals with his/her problems, and the storyline is ingenious, dramatic, sweet--it is as if the creators poured out their souls over this wonderful anime. The only anime so far to have made me cry (and I'm a guy Anime hyper)

2. Code Geass (series w/ sequel)
-An epic piece of godliness. Although CLAMP's skinny portrayal of the characters (expecially the guys!) shoved a black stake through my heart, I have to say that the storyline is amazing. Ef: a Tale of Memories had the epic drama/romance storyline, while Code Geass has the epic action/Death Note-esque/end-of-the-world-oh-my-god storyline. Although there were some parts which felt sub-par, overall the anime was a blast. In addition, this anime has a spoonful of heart-wrenching drama and an ample amount of character development (a lot of characters!). This anime is an awesome ride and the end is perhaps one of the most epic (I keep repeating the word epic because I feel that it best characterizes this anime)...Ever.

3. Elfen Lied (short series)
-To those who haven't watched this series yet, beware of some (or maybe a lot of Anime hyper) blood and gore, and a bit of fan-service. However, those who can get past this exterior can see that this is a great anime, one so great that it can make the viewer sympathize with someone who at first seems like the epitome of an evil, murderous villain. There is action and fighting in this anime, but what came across to me the most was the drama and a complex take on love. In addition, there are many underlying messages hidden within small scenes and actions that made me think, "Oh my God! Does that mean??!!", and "Wow, that was...that was just brilliant." This anime leaves an everlasting mark on the viewer, a sign of a great anime--for this one, it is one of sadness and heartbreak.

4. Clannad (series w/sequel)
-Like several other animes on this list, this is mostly drama/romance anime. The artwork is just beautiful, and the storyline is split up into arcs revolving around the protagonists (most of whom are females Anime hyper) In this anime, there are many scenes and underlying stories which intrigued me and led to the formation of an army of question marks above my head. However, the anime goes on to answer the questions through some of the most dramatic stories I have seen in all of anime. In addition, this anime is a great, great slice-of-life anime full of hilarious moments. Although many animes have the crazy, violent chick who goes around instilling men with fear and distress, Clannad does the best job I have seen so far.

5. Fruits Basket (series)
-This anime was, I'm sorry to say, rather cliche almost ALL THE TIME. In addition, the main character, Tohru Honda, is simple to the point of being naive. On top of this, the anime contains scenes where the two male protagonists SPARKLE! YES, SPARKLE with a bunch of colorful bubbles floating around. GRRRR...me being a guy, this just drove me crazy. At one point I wanted to hunt down the anime producers and punish them cruelly with a wedgie. Sighz* However, there was something about this anime that made me...well...like it...a lot. It was just so innocent and portrayed many characters who reminded me of people in real life. More importantly, it painted characters who were just so nice that I couldn't help but root them on throughout the anime. Characters like Chigure just cracked me up, and it had its share of comedic scenes. Moreover, I feel that this anime has a meaningful message: Enjoy life, be happy, help others, goodness dwells in everyone. All in all, Fruits Basket was cute, dramatic at times, and fun.

6. Samurai X:Trust and Betrayal (movie)
-This is a classic that all true anime fans should watch. Although it's pretty old, it was the perfect example of a drama/action/romance anime. Although the artwork is pretty bad according to today's standards, the anime itself outperforms most anime even today.

7. Paprika (movie)
-This anime was...crazy. The creator is just so imaginative that I would guess he was on anime-steroids when he made this mind-boggling work. Some of the scenes are just ridiculous, but the anime was a roller-coaster ride I enjoyed through and through. In addition, there is a sub-story that is just so genious, so great...God, it was amazing. If I spoiled it for anyone, my life would be over, so I won't say anything 'bout it =D

8. Furi Kuri/Fooly Cooly (movie)
-Another absurdly insane anime. Some say that it just made no sense so it sucked. I say that it was creative, imaginative--I say that just as expression of the soul knows no bounds, neither does anime. Watch this anime and prepare to be thrilled.

9. 5 Centimeters per Second (movie w/3 parts)
-This anime is just beautiful. Period. Oh yeah, and it has a heart-wrenching storyline that is sure to make anyone cry (I'm ashamed to say that I haven't yet finished it...I know, I'm a failure...T-T) From what I've seen so far though, it's one of the best animes I have ever seen, and once I'm finished it is sure to move up on my list of "Top 10."

10. Fullmetal Panic: Fumoffu (series)
-Everyone needs a little laugh once in a while. Some, however, suffer from chronic-lack-of-comedy-or-fun-in-life-syndrome. To these people, I would first say, "Sorry, but you're kinda screwed." And then I would crack up at having caused a great deal of distress, and say, "Just kidding! There's FULLMETAL PANIC: FUMOFFU!" If you watch this anime and do not fall over laughing, then you are not human--please leave us earthlings alone Very Happy. But seriously, this anime is funny and a great way to cheer up anyone
[A message to guys: have your girlfriend watch this and she'll forget about you being like 2 hours late to your scheduled date Anime hyper]

I don't really hate any anime, so I won't be providing a list of "worst anime."

[EDIT: Please don't bold and underline everything. -TK]
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Okay I'll give my takes on what is my best/favorite anime and what is the worst.

Best

10. Starting the list is the first series I felt the need to go out and buy, that series being .Hack//Sign As it was the series that truly pushed me further into anime and buying anime DVDs and merchandise it will hold a place with me, however I have to recognize that simply there are better series.

9. Coming in at 9 is Haibane Renmei its a soft series that explores the ideas of death, reincarnation, as well as simple normalacy, but again it is not for everybody.

8. At eight for me is Gunslinger Girl its focus on relationships gives it some pluses but it might not be for everyone (some may see it as boring/ not "actiony" enough)

7. At 7 is Case Closed storywise it is similiar to Law & Order thus making it also a series easy to digest. It also has positive themes even going with its catch phrase "One Truth Prevails!" and appraoches concepts like friendship, truth, and justice in an easy way that doesn't fly over ones head.

6. Number 6 is Cowboy Bebop As a series it is easy to digest and is such a strong Gateway series even today, so it deserves some recognition.

5. Next is The Big O for me it stood out from other mecha series, focusng on exploration of self and the meaning of truth over the usual themes of War and it's implications (although one can say The Big O had them too, they were not at the fore front.)

4. Number 4 is FLCL for such a small series it packs a complex, yet simple message. The dub for it is also noteworthy in using similiar pop-culture references.

3. Coming in at number 3 for me is Ghost in The Shell: Stand Alone Complex It's one of the few series that makes you ask how humanity is defined ( or even sexuality if your willing to go there) Also being action-oriented, yet politically relevant helps.

2. A close number 2 for me is Le Chevlier D'eon also with its dark themse, subtle colors, attention to detail as well as being a fairly action packed series, makes it a strong series to watch.

1. Paranoia Agent for me is a stand out, it's message, characterization, and themes are well exectued, better than some longer series I could think of. Also the dark psychological thriller aspect really is what I like. Also you can see why Kant said lying is always wrong (for if you lie a big, black amorphus blob will destroy your city. /joke)

Worst

In no particular order.

SuperMilk Chan- Straight Dub There are two versions of SuperMilk Chan, an Americanized version and then this version here (as was shown on Adult Swim) This is series is the reason why straight dubs simply don't work, as the straight dub is simply not funny (at least to me and many an Adult Swim viewer.) The fact that this is what some "fans" actually want is concerning, and I always use this series as an example for not doing a straight dub.

Hakugei: The Legend of Moby Dick It's not really that it was set in space that made this series poor (in fact I'm open enough to accept space-whales) it was that really this series has little in common with which it says it is based, a few names you could change, this series actually would be more in common with Desert Punk or any other "sci-fi rebellion" type series.

Death Note for me this is a series that is trying to be deep and meaningful, with a protagonist that as ANN says "anybody over the age of eighteen can see what he is doing as wrong." It just doesn't click with me. But it does lead to gems such as these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4pvkJ9rbgg or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2avdf289OY

Arjuna a series that asks questions but truly gives no answers to the problems that it raises, one could say a missed opportunity but it was more of the director had no where to go put a cop out answer.

Darkside Blues for me at least an OVA to watch if you truly want the experience of having no idea why anything is happening, try it sometime! It will leave you confused.
Fenril1985

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Best :

1.Tenchi Muyo! - yes, this is my no1. I love all seasons (xpt Sasami spinoffs, how could they do that Anime cry). Tenchi Universe, in Tokyo, ryo-ohki and GXP (yes, this spinoff even tho its in tenchis world I've found it very amusing and it had this SOMETHING in it). All seasons were unique and had very original characters, storyline was quite simple but I coulndt get my eyes off it. just <3 this one
2. Bleach - when I've read about it i was very sceptic about it however all have changed when i saw 1st few episodes. The sole idea isnt that oryginal but the final effect is just supreme. tho i must admit if bigger fan of manga than anime becouse some spinoffs were so weak and ust stupid i got angly seeing them. Main plot is whats great about it :d
3.School Rumble (all) - one of by most favorite anime ever, great parodies of other anime/movies and great humour are making this title grand
4.FullMetal Panic (all ) - i guess there isnt much to say about this one becouse is in most lists, that proves its quality
5.XXXHolic (all) - in my opinion one of the best anime. Almost perfect balance between action - comedy and drama
6.Buso Renkin - i am aware this one has many cummon characteristics with other action/comedy but when i first saw this one i fell for its simplicity and some original aspects aswell
7.Hellsing Ultimate OVA - yes, i cant forget about my favorite vampire anime. Even tho i like the 1st Hellsing series, this one is just better in all aspects, prolly all thanks should go for plot line is just like in oryginal manga and that one is superb. Perfect vampire anime.
8. Initial D (all) - this one is well known. What i love about this one is ofc racing. So far i never so such exciting drift races in any other anime and im a big fan of racing. Even if its fiction i just love extreme drift battles ^^
9. Ergo Proxy - this title is a quite fresh one but i love it. Marvelous SF world fallowed by grand plot and wonderful chars. Main Heroine Real is in my opinion best drawed n animated female char in anime history, especially when she holds a shotgun <3
10.Histories Strongest Disciple Kenichi - well, i jst couldn help myself with this one. There are so many anime like this one however this one is special in my eyes. The fights are so-so BUT excellent comedy gags are just superb.

Most terrible :

1. One Piece - yes, i really cant bear to watch this anime. Every single episode is like previous one with same gags all over again. i can admit it can be fnny at first but after few episodes all jokes get old and its getting boring
2.Ninja Resurrection - about his one well, its just horrible, no story whatsoever, just blood and gore. i like brtal anime but anime without any plot just gore are ... well... lets just say who made that one should be ashamed
3.Dragon Ball GT - this anime just pains me. I am very fond of Dragon Ball And Dragon Ball Z ( even after friezza saga ) but GT series is a joke. its a terrible try to make another series like oryginal DB which failed badly. ss4? please
Supersonic Strawhat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Top 10 best and Top 5 worst eh? Well now. This will certainly be hard. But I know what I'm sure of for a few I suppose. After the first three it goes into the realm of shows that I favor because I was entertained and not neccessarily due to it's quality.

Top 10 Best:

#1- One Piece: Defidently a spot on anime right here. Looking back I realize I got into this show through it's terrible 4kids dub and still managed to enjoy it. When I caught wind of the Japanese version I became heavily inspired. It's simply amazing how no other anime I've seen has been constructed this way. It's a long and extremely creative story filled to the brim with unexpected events and plot twists. It has a charming funny nature that comes off a goofy and at the same time has enough emotion and bloody action in it to keep it from being an anime stereotype. The characters blend well together and there's hardly anyone here that you could downright hate, not even the villians as they come off as very interesting and sometimes fun as well. Some of the stuff here you won't find in any other anime. Plot lines like these were so creative and innovative it simply blew me away as it went on. From East Blue, to Alabasta, to Skypeia, CP9, Thriller Bark, and currently still going it continues to get better and better which most animes have a hard time doing. Cool

#2- Dragonball- Not the Z series that everyone in America won't shut up about. The original Dragonball series that inspired many manga artists (including Oda who created One Piece) in their stories. Goku and his pals are simply better then they are in here then in the Z series. It's whacky, charming, extrodinarily suspenceful, and comes off as a childish but in a slightly mature way. No wonder it's still the number 1 best selling manga in Japan. One Piece being number 3 isn't to shabby either though.

#3- Ouran High School Host Club- I'm a boy... how I got into this anime I don't really remember. I was bored and searching wikipedia and I found this and decided to check it out. It's flowery, girly, pretty-boy outline almost repelled me but I hate droping an anime based on it's first episode, much less it's first few minutes. As I kept watching it soon dawned on me that this show... was extremely funny! I love a good laugh so I kept watching. The commoners and the rich people stereotype thing was brilliantly executed and the way the characters looked and acted, obviously trying to fit into their own stereotype, came off as completely original despite the fact that their labels made it seem like they weren't suppose to be. Excellent writing here.

#4- Sonic X- I'm a huge Sonic fan. I couldn't even begin to tell you how much merchandise I have of his. It's in my username for goodness sake. And even though this show had terrible animation, a so-so story, and sometimes flawed drawing, I was impressed enough to like the series for it's pace, characters (obviously), and impressive spin on the taken to a new world concept.

#5- Full-Metal Alchemist- This is a high quality show for sure... however... I don't really like it's pacing nor do I care much for a lot of the characters. However, it captured my attention enough for me to hunger for the end of the series to be revealed to me. I was a bit dissapointed though. Oh well. It was a good run.

#6- Digimon Adventure 01 and 02- Nostalgia. That's all there is. I was a kid when this was being seen by my eyes and I recently (maybe about a year ago) went online to see the episodes again. I was impressed with how well put together the story was. Back then I didn't really get it because I was suckered in by the action which is so-so at best to be honest.

#7- Inuyasha- I got into this show when I saw a little fox demon sliding down a tree that was shoved into a well and he slammed into a branch, flipped over, and fell to the ground unconscious while wolves surrounded him... and I was having a ball laughing at this kid. I wanted to see more of his pain so I kept watching and to my satisfaction the episode ended with this white-haired dude showing up to safe the day. Yes, it's cluttered with a whole bunch of unwanted romance but what kept me tied to it was the action... and the chance to see Shippo get his little head pounded in some more... oh and Sesshomaru because he's cool... and Jaken is too... yes he is... really...

#8- Dragonball Z- Erm... okay... it's fights are repetitive. It's got essentionally very little story with the actual story it has steming from Dragonball and a bit of an uninspired feel... but I didn't watch it for the action. I watched it to see people die. I especially watched it when Goten and Trunks showed up because I wanted to see their little heads get bashed it. It's nowhere near as good as Dragonball as it fails to recreate the charm that made it so good in the first place. The point where there's really no story telling anymore came when the Buu Saga began.

#9- Kirby: Right back at ya- I'm calling it by it's 4kids title because I don't know how to spell it's original name. It's a light hearted show, obviously for kids, with a good feel and atmosphere. However, it suffers from a repetition of plot devices and battles. It did noticably get better as it went on but not by much however. Oh well. Kirby is awesome isn't he?

#10- Poke'mon- Nostalga number 2. I liked it in the beginning. It's suffered a massive quality decline nowadays though.

Top 5 Worst:

#1- Fighting Foodons- They're the food with attitude ya know... it sucks so freaking much to! I've seen a few Poke'mon and Digimon clones like Dinosaur King for instance but this is the most pathetic attempt at entertainment ever. This kid who wants to be the best at becoming a fighter chef or whatever has to make his way to the top while competing against other kids who coicedentally also want to be the best. It's the same old tired formula with a new patheic attempt a being creative twist- you fight with food- It's a food fight except extremely retarded and you almost feel bad for the kids forced to get hit with this stuff. There's a freaking Hot dog standing on two feet named "HotDoggonit" for goodness sake. And it probably took all but 2 seconds to come up with an innovative name like "Fried Ricer" - And the way he keeps saying his name over and over again is very annoying... not like Poke'mon at all...

#2- Bleach- It's extremely boring. That's all. It looks good enough I suppose but the fights are uninteresting, the characters aren't interesting, and I only found the plot of one episode to be of interest so far. I usually let it laze around on screen when nothing is on but I'm not actually watching it as I'm too busy doing more imporatant things on the computer... like typing in a message board...

#3- Naruto- Let me just say... what the heck!? It started off boring but picked up and I enjoyed it! It was good. The fighting was good. I liked a few of the characters, namely Rock Lee and Shikamaru. And it's story was impressing me. What went wrong though? I realized it was all a farce. When I finally looked over the story again I realized there actually wasn't one. Naruto wants to become Hokage and all though the series fails to make it clear on how anyone would go about doing so it makes it obvious to everyone that beating up villians was part of the deal. However, the way they go about this is heavily uninspired. The first arc was simply protect some old dude from a killer. Then they had to make it seem like an important character died to get this suspence out quick before anyone got too bored. Then this tournament happened which I was into because I love survival stuff... but then it went the ways of predicability and eventually Sasuke left his village... and it wasn't a shock at all. The entire Sasuke retreival arc was a big waist of time... they journey out to get Sasuke back but they realize it'd be too short so they drilled in the Sound Five and made them all fight so Sasuke could get away. But they had to make sure Naruto faught Sasuke in the end so they had Rock Lee show up to battle Kimimaro in a very unrealistic time flux. Whatever.

The excessive amount of characters also brought the shows quality down. So many people usually isn't a bad thing though as it makes for great story telling if done right (which One Piece and Dragonball proved extrodinarily well). However, Naruto didn't do it right. There is a lot of characters but the story mainly focuses on Sasuke and his emo rush rather then the lot of them. Sure it touched up on a lot of their pasts but all it did was waist episode space as those pasts had next to nothing to do with the story and weren't brought up ever again. Poor Shikamaru didn't even get a personal one. He had to share it with Choji. It barely focused on Naruto himself at all actually. If they can't even make it seem like their main character is actually their main character without forcing him against the main enemy in the end to create the allusion that he's the main character then guess what... he's not a very good person to choose as main character.

Naruto is loud, annoying, and extremly obnoxious. I can really hate him a lot. There were times when I felt sorry for him whenever he got hit by that witch Sakura however, who complains about the littest things but then let's Sasuke off the hook because she "loves" him. Sauske's a retard... nuff' said... That's pretty much what I have to say about this. A dissapointment...

#4- Magical Do-Re-Mi- There's literally no plot. None. Not a single hit of a plot beyond learning magic and doing nothing with it. Nothing.

#5- Dragonball GT- As the Dragonball series continued in the anime realm after the manga ended it suffered this monstrosity. The feel from the original Dragonball had been obliterated and chopped to pieces. There were no charming children as Pan was an annoyance and Goku technically isn't a kid despite being very charming. The fights and plot lines dealt with repetitive stuff we've seen before. I waited so freaking long for Baby to die I almost got an ulcer wishing for it to happen. When he finally did I wish my T.V had that rewind feature so I could see it over and over again. The little snot... oh well. It was good in the beginning at least but that didn't last long at all.

There you have it. It's a nice long first post.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is going to be a hard list to generate, so I'm just going to stick with what's in my collection. Of course, I'm open to changing my mind as more new anime is viewed.

Favorites:
7-10: Can't list them. Too difficult.

6: Suzuka - I just finished this series yesterday, and aside from wanting to punch Akitsuki to death, this is why it's #6. It instills that much emotion. *sigh* for Honoka.

5: Fruits Basket - I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Lovable series. Want more. Now.

4: Fate Stay/Night - I stayed away from this show thinking it was religious in nature and kick myself for it to this day for this stupid, stupid decision. Now look where it's listed.

3: Cowboy Bebop - if I have to explain this, shame on you.

2: Azumanga Daioh and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - it had to be a tie, as I can watch both over and over and never tire. AD has such an appeal, by the end of the series, you feel you're as though you're part of the group.
As for MoSH, anyone who only talks to espers, time travellers, and aliens but no one else gets an instant liking. Plus, SH is the best drawn anime character I've ever seen.

1: Shakugan no Shana - seems this series doesn't get listed much, and a shame. Yes, the story isn't all that great, but the animation is awesome. Since owning it for only 2 months, I've watched it 5 times and it gets better every single time.

Worst:
There's only one in my collection, and that belongs to Divergence Eve. A waste of $50. I read reviews, and most said it was good.
Can't agree. I despise overuse of CGI and most mech anime, and this did both. Funny, in all those reviews, not a mention of mech.
Evil or Very Mad
arachneia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I've seen enough to determine the best, but my favorites are as follows:

1. Monster: Impeccable, smart, thrilling, with a great villain and an even better protagonist. I respect it immensely for its integrity and quality, and I honestly think it has the best character development to be found in anime, right up there with Miyazaki.
2. Fullmetal Alchemist: Great plot, great characters, great everything. I love its social message, and I love Mustang's dedication.
3. Samurai Champloo: Everything. There are no words for this one.
4. Darker Than BLACK: Lazy animation aside, inconsistencies aside, undeveloped backgrounds aside... well, let's just say it touches a heartstring.
5. Howl's Moving Castle: Lovely characters, great message, an amazing soundtrack.
6. Trigun: Although I did not enjoy the later episodes as much, I love this show from the bottom of my heart.
7. Mononoke-hime: I used to not like it as much as other Miyazaki's movies, but it really grew on me.
8. Karas: One of the few that made me tear up.
9. Black Lagoon: Really fun, and to the point.
10. Death Note: Loved the concept, although I think the show kind of went downhill when Misa showed up.
bucklemyshoe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:26 am Reply with quote
Top 10!

10.Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan

In short this is a very light hearted show that is simply awesome. It's quick, blunt, and violent. Everything about it from it's loli exploits to it's over the top blood gushing is amusing. If you like to laugh and can look at something without taking it 100% serious then this is a show for you.

09.Voices of a Distant Star

Besides the fact that this short film has some of the best mech combat out there I found the story very touching. It's one of those few films that you can watch fully knowing what's going to happen and it still feels like you've never seen it before.

08.Noir

Girls and guns in the best way. This show is a lot to take in and sadly I think that's why so many people don't appreciate it. I do need to mention that Kirika is one of my all time favorite characters and that if you're a Rei Ayanami fan you will probably connect with Kirika as well.

07.Battle Angel

This was one of the first anime I saw and I've never stopped liking it. The short 2 episode OVA gave just enough taste to motivate me into reading the entire manga series. This has always been a prime example for me to showcase everything I love about anime.

06.Serial Experiments Lain

Again, one of the first shows I saw. I used to watch the DVD box set over and over again. The way it was presented was so different than anything else I had ever seen. Even if you focus you still miss things. After viewing it again and again you form some weird kind of connection with Lain. This show asks so many questions and it's up to you if you want to look deeper for answers.

05.Blood+

This show is next to flawless. Everything in it serves a purpose and while it is 50 episodes long, you never lose interest. When Saya fights, you want her to win. When questions are answered you feel closure.

04.School Days

Never in my life have I connected to a show as much as this. I'm going to give away details but I personally feel that this the greatest ending to any show.

03.Ergo Proxy

A simple show about journey. I can find countless pieces of symbolism in this show and apply it to my own life. I love the animation and overall feel. I admire how they kept the cast small and allowed you to really connect with the characters, each different.

02.Welcome to the N.H.K.

Welcome to the NHK is just one absolute wild entertaining ride. It's funny because the premises of the show sounds so boring. The thing that places this so high on my list is besides the life like situations (you probably know someone in at least one of them!) is what Misaki does for Sato. Without giving anything away, I find it to be the most romantic thing anyone could possibly ever do.

01. Lucky Star

When I watch this show I laugh. When I watch this show I see elements of myself. When I watch this show I'm proud to be an anime fan. When I watch this show I'm happy. Smile

Bottom 5 Sad

01:Le Portrait de Petit Cossette

This really is the only anime I absolutely hated. Sure it's pretty but the animation goes overboard trying to be new and as a result the entire film is presented in crappy angels that are frustrating to look at. I'm just going to keep it short and say I didn't like the story one bit. The characters were dull and I never felt anything but bored the entire film.

02:The above is really the only film I have enough distaste for to rank.
03:
04:
05:
ChristenZilla

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:44 am Reply with quote
1. Cowboy Bebop - I loved all the characters, there isn't anything I wanted to change about this anime. Thus why its my number one choice. The songs, episode titles, and plots were brilliant.

2. Boogiepop Phantom - It was strange, and super creepy. And it had me at super creepy.

3. Serial Experiments Lain - I could not get that song Duvet out of my head. I like how she has like one computer, and then her knowledge of them really grows.

4. .Hack//Sign - The whole aspect of the different lives of online gaming and real life, was what caught my attention.

5. Tenchi Muyo - I just loved watching Ayeka and Ryoku fight all the time, they were so different it was just entertaining.

6. Trigun - Vash would make the perfect boyfriend, seriously if only I could find the real life Vash, I would be smitten. He was funny, smart, sincere, caring and I could go on, but I won't.

7. The Big O - I hate the name of this show! I really liked the plot of the missing memories, and who doesn't like Batman, seriously?

8. Rouroni Kenshin - I havn't watched this series in like forever, however I still remember the fighting was great.

9. Case Closed - I didn't like the way it was drawn, I liked the whole detective work, and solving mysteries thing.

10. Death Note - I have only watched one episode, then I watched the movie. So far I really like how its so easy to kill someone in the death note. Really makes you think.

The ones I don't know why I kept watching them, something had my attention:
Yu Yu Hakusho
Pilot Candidate

My Worst List:
1. FLCL- Horrible, this show is plain stupid. It doesn't make any sense.

2. Kikaider - I'm all for robots, but I didn't really like the animation.

3. Princess Mononoke - I hated the movie, I disliked it so much, I don't know what part makes me hate it the most. It was boring, I don't think I would have finished watching it if my brother didn't hog the remote.
arachneia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
ChristenZilla wrote:
3. Princess Mononoke - I hated the movie, I disliked it so much, I don't know what part makes me hate it the most. It was boring, I don't think I would have finished watching it if my brother didn't hog the remote.

It's a movie that takes several viewings. I disliked it at first, but now I think it's one of Miyazaki's finest works up to date. It's no good to watch it when forced to, though, but I definitely recommend giving it a second try.
ZashikiWarashi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
1. Mushishi - Style, ambience, soundtrack, voice acting... for me, almost everything in this series was perfect. I was completely drawn in. Proof that a non-formulaic, more episodic anime can do a whole lot more than be 'monster of the week' fluff.

2. Monster - Best action/thriller anime I've ever seen. From episode 1, could not stop. The characters are top notch, with a villain that we don't necessarily have to hate AND incredible characters like Grimmer..

3. XXXHOLIC - Much like Mushishi, this had a style and ambience about it that sucked me in. The show has a bit more of a gothic feel to it. Good characters, very interesting art direction, a couple of the episodes made me wonder if Miyazaki was part of the staff. One of the first few anime that made me feel the need to get my hands on the manga.

4. Fruits Basket - Though a far-cry from the manga as much of the story is left out and the end felt a bit rushed, the feel of the series was just right. Totally sappy and sweet, lovable characters, an over-all feel good series from the OP to the ED. It doesn't look like there will ever be future seasons.. read the manga!

5. One Piece - Like many of these long running series' with incredible popularity, the arc - filler - arc -filler format can get a little tedious. That being said, it's doing something right for itself to remain as popular as it is. The characters are all pretty silly, but that's one of their good qualities. Luffy has to be my favorite "main character", and once you weed the filler out and get to the heart of the arcs it's really a lovable series.

6. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - Big fat LOL. Great dark comedy/parody from it and its sequels. The hysterical monologues by the teacher are only rivaled by the voice actor they chose to play him, who nails them perfectly. The students are hysterical too, and the voice acting is right on for all of them. Great OPs and EDs.

7. Welcome to the NHK! - Another dark comedy of sorts. The characters and character development are entertaining to watch. I'd imagine a lot of people can relate to a few of the messes Satou gets himself into. Great ending to the series, one of the few endings that left me feeling satisfied.

8. Cromartie High School - This show would be right at home on Adult Swim. It's hilarious. Unlike the other 2 comedy anime I've listed, this one requires virtually no understanding of Japanese culture or pop culture as the delinquents would feel right at home in any country. The short episode format is perfect, I don't think any series has left my stomach hurting as much as this one.

9. Great Teacher Onizuka - Onizuka is hysterically over the top, but completely lovable. I'm convinced at its heart this series is actually a feel good series. The only ding I'd give it, and the reason it isn't higher up the list, is a lot of the student angst feels completely forced and over the top. Not so much for the characters that come around early in the series, but there's one or 2 particular students you end up wishing would just disappear. Another show that left me not only wanting to get the manga, but got me into live action drama, too. The GTO live action TV series is great if you like drama.

10. Tenchi Muyo OVA - I was never a fan of the series that was shown on Toonami and was hesitant to watch this - but based on a review I read somewhere, I picked this up, and was not at all disappointed. This is definitely a case where the OVA being better than the TV series = true. One ding - the dub is awful. I have nothing against dubs, but it sounds so cheap and poorly made. Stick with the subtitled version.

Worst 5

1-5. SCHOOL DAYS - Atrocious. I hate this series so much that there isn't even room in my heart to dislike 4 other series'. I wish all of the characters in this anime were involved in a subway or bus accident and had died or gone into a coma in episode one. I have nothing against violence, but never has it felt so... forced. I find it hard to believe that people were actually taken by surprise at the way it ended with all of the lead-up and forced character angst. This series absolutely reeks of angst. The voice acting and character development are awful. Spare yourself the despair of knowing that the time you spent watching this series is time you will never, EVER get back. Once you watch School Days, you can't unwatch it. Even Suzuka shines next to this pile of garbage.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 83 of 122