• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sizzlin_chiken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:22 pm Reply with quote
hmm kinda tough but i have some favs..
10. I haven't seen much of it yet but it seems sweet. It's D Gray Man. The story and stuff is really sucking me in. The action is sweet and the sad past. Really good so far
9. Has to be Rurouni Kenshin. It had a great story line. I am a sucker for these samurai stuff and it's action is freakin sweet. Also the animation is good also.
8. I will put Tsubasa chronicles here. I just love the little quarrels taht happen in here and sometimes it makes me get that fuzzy feelin. Also i love the characters even though Lee's attitudes is way different from cardcaptors haha.
7. Is givin to Negima Sensei the first one. It's freakin funny and really surprising at times. Also damn!! this 10 year old is pimpin out all them girls and they're like 3-4 years older then him.
6. Is givin to Suzuka. I love this romance stuff. Also the sports thing really did suck me in also. The trials and tribulations they went through just because they love each other makes it really worthwhile. Also it shows how much losing someone you love can affect you so much.
5. Is givin to Zero no Tsukaima. It's really good even though i wanted them to extend it but still good. It was able to squeeze everything in. The love, the action, and the comedy. I mean what more can you ask for?
4.This spot is givin to Naruto. It's a good show and the action is by far one of the best action animes out there. Its not like DBZ and stuff where they throw punches and you can't even see it. You can see the impact that they give on each punch. Also this teaches you that you need to work hard in life and that nothing comes easy or that there aren't really any shortcuts in life so live it how you want to.
3. Is givin to Shuffle. I loved this. It was funny and heart pounding all in one. Also one guy and many girls is always gonna be good. It's not easy to be a nice guy i know how he feels.
2. Is definitely given to Bokura ga ita. It shows the typical highschool life and the hardships of loosing people you love. Also that life keeps going even though you don't want it to. Time keeps ticking and doesn't wait for you. Also the things that kept them hesitating were normal and things that could really happen. The troubles and trials they went through were heart pounding and exciting also sad at the same time.
1. Goes to AIR!!! currently this is in my first because this is by far one of thE saddest animes i've ever seen. How she had to struggle so much and then die. gaaaaahhhhh it pissed me off so bad. She couldn't even be with the one she loved because if she was then they'd both be hurt. I wanted a happy ending but i guess hits was really just sad. I loved it so much though. The music and animation were great. Not many animes can top this one.

damn that took long but thats it for now

snaps i forgot the honorable mentions....so many though...Eureka 7, KGNE, FMP season 1 and the OVA haven't seen second raid yet, dangit i can't remember any more but there are many good titles out there.

Last edited by sizzlin_chiken on Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:36 pm Reply with quote
strongbad123 wrote:
10. Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
I know it just finished, but damn was it a fantasticly twisted show. A thrilling story, multiple plot lines, weird multiple realities, and murderous grade schoolers. Very few shows can combine two very different genres with such great results. If you haven't seen it watch it.

"Grade schoolers?" Dude, Mion and Shion were like 17, Keiichi and Rena were like 16. Rika and Satoko were the only grade schoolers and the only murder Rika did was to herself. The appropriate term is "killer loli".

Quote:
4.Yu Gi Oh
I know I shouldn't pick on these shonen titles but I can't help myself, theyre awful. Another long show, that's aimed for young kids. I'll give it credit for having a unique art style.

Shounen shows are the most mainstream genere anime has to offer(That and hentai). Besides, Yu-GI-Oh! in Japanese is actually more towards the adult age range believe it or not. And it's actually really good in Japanese. I reccomend at least checking out the manga as it IS pretty graphic. I kid you not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Suzumiya

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:03 pm Reply with quote
strongbad123 wrote:

1.Naruto
The 1 show I hate the most, for managing to span nearly 200 episodes and still not get anywhere. The cut and paste storyline goes like this: ______ a rowdy young boy wants to train hard to become a master _______, with his friends ______ and ________ he journies around fighting evil. after 300+ episodes and 10 movies _____ finally becomes a master _______. The end, feel free to put it Ash, Goku, Naruto, or any other shounen character. I'm glad it gets people into anime, but there are much better shows that can get people interested.
And I hope I offended some fanboys (its always fun)

ROFLMAO!!! That is funny because it so true. The character give true meaning to being one-dimensional. What you see is what you get kind of types.

Anyways, I have my favorite 10, but don't know how to place them: Not in order

Spirited Away- the first anime that I watch (back then I don't even know what is an anime). Whenever I feel down and sad, I watch this, and instantly I feel happy again. The great character development, interesting array of characters, and how a weak spoil girl transform into a brave, fearless young lady despite the 'weird' surrounding. It really is one of the classic in anime.

Gungrave - have you ever cry so hard that you choke on your tears? That is what this anime do to me for 22 mins (last eps). Even after watching it about 4 times, I still cry like there is no tomorrow during the last eps. Betrayal, friendship, zombie-like monster, mutants, crazy scientists, guns, plenty of blood, and one crazy ending = what do you want more?

Sokyu no Fafner- even though this is a mecha show, action is not its main point. I like this show because of the character development, personality and a heroine who is not afraid to hold a gun.

Death Note- even only after 8 eps of it, it easily slip into my favorites. The mind games between Light and L is just too entertaining and fun to past by.

Tactics- exorcising evil spirits, black-wings bishounen, cute non-whining little girls = love. This is probably the only anime that I like that don't have any character development. But is so cute, so....

Twelve Kingdoms- a normal high school girl who never stand up for herself transform into probably one of the strongest heroine in all anime. Youko is my absolute favorite anime character of all time because of how she hold herself near the end of the series. The novels continue, but no more animes

Azumanga Daioh (sp?)- I like it for it cutes fuzzy humour. It kind of repetitive, but the humour and the cute character makes it entertaining.

XXXholic- Yuuko is my second favorite character in all anime. This anime can be dark and serious in one eps than funny in the next. Nevertheless, all eps have a message, a meaning to this world, to life. Couldn't wait for season 2, because that is where things get interesting... Twisted Evil

Blood+ - Haji is probably the only vampire that I like. He does not act 'cool' or anything. He is just a quiet, reserve guy who protect his love one with his life. spoiler[And Saya and Haji make such a cute pair ]

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien- what makes this anime so great is that it deals with real life problems and emotions. All the people in the anime acts like human (they don't act like god by being forgiven ). This anime is very sad, but I like it alot. I am a big sucker for drama.

Most hated anime:

Fruit Baskets- Like I mention why I like KGNE, is because the character acts like human. The heroine is Fruits Basket is like an angel that save and cure everyone with her words. She never get fluster when met someone who looks trouble, and she always find the right words to said. The biggest problem that I have with this anime is that she is TOO PERFECT. The things that she said is true and meaningful, but why did I find myself 'puking' every time she 'save' another person with her words.

Naruto - 2nd most hated- This show is basically on big fillers show. No character development. Not to mention the main character is a loud-mouth guy that I have to turn down the volume to 1 every time he talks.

Inuyasha- See Naruto above. Also, add in one-annoying-heroine who is always yells "sit, sit boy"

Samurai 7- When it is animated? 1980? The animation and the facts that samurai (sword) and flying ships (mecha) don't mixed.

Tsubasa season 2- If I had never read the manga then I probably would have like it. Too bad I am such a big fan of CLAMP. Tsubasa season 2 rip out the pages of Tsubasa manga, smear dirt on it, burn it, then throw it down the most stinkiest seward. That is how I see it, but I am being dramatic, again.
haruhifan1200

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:26 am Reply with quote
Top 10 Best
1. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
A genius show, mixed with comedy, supernatural, and a hint of psychological. While still being able to finish the story with closure, you still really want another season. Lots of fun characters are in the show, too.
2. Kodomo no Omocha
One of the funniest anime I have seen. And it’s able to take some time go for drama, and it all mixes in well.
3. Angelic Layer
Funny and action-packed show. The ending is touching, and it’s hard to figure out in advance. Much, much better than the manga in my opinion.
4. Kino’s Journey
While I have not finished it yet, I know that this is one of my favorites. It takes strange and cool ideas and presents them to you, and it makes you think about those themes. Absolutely wonderful.
5. Azumanga Daioh
The other funniest anime I have seen. It’s bizarre and randomness is absolutely awesome in my opinion. The hyper active characters are people I just can’t get enough of.
6. Cromartie High School
Okay, so I’ve seen some really funny anime. I can’t describe why, but it’s just absolutely hysterical.
7. Princess Mononoke
A touching, well-animated anime. It’s Miyazaki, and he lives up to his expectations 110%.
8. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Another awesome Miyazaki anime. Interesting, touching, climatic. I love it!
9. Otaku no Video
A fun OVA about anime fandom in Japan. While fantical, it’s almost a little realistic, with it references.
10. Here is Greenwood
Another cool OVA series. While old, this 6-episode show does not disappoint. Funny and touching. It also has an interesting take on bishonen…

Top 5 Worst
1. The Daichis
A strange show filled with unlikeable characters. spoiler[Also, the main character has icky interests about “women” (if you know what I mean.)]
2. Cardcaptor Sakura: The Movie
Before I begin this rant, let it be known I only watched the uncut dub of this movie.
I watched this movie at an early age, and I found it captivating. I watch it again and it was a bore-fest. I have heard that the subtitled version is different, so I may check that out in the future.
3. Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters
Repetitive. Waaay repetitive. I left off where Bakura was jabbering his head off every five seconds about how he was going to destroy the world.

4. Voices of A Distant Star
While this show has stellar animation quality, I felt it was a little boring. Also, I watched it subtitled, and it felt like the translations were going way too fast. Sort of ruined it for me.

No #5, sorry.
Mewtwo22

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:38 pm Reply with quote
10 Best

1=Death Note, The psychological battle between Light and L is interesting and they make you question who is truly right in their since of justice Light or L. Great animations and character development.

2=Gundam Wing, Okay to begin with I am a gundam fanboy. I enjoy this show because of the character development and find the question between if war is right or not fascinating.

3=Inuyasha, Please don't flame me. I know a lot of people don't like this show because of the fillers but i find it quiet funny. I enjoy the relationship issues between Inuyasha and Kagome because it reminds me somewhat of my own life.

4=G gundam, I dislike Domon because he never lost a battle. The character that made this show for me was George De Saund because me and him have similar personalities. This show is a much lighter and more romantic version of Gundam Wing.

5=I My Me Strawberry Eggs, This show is funny plain and simple the characters are great and the animations are quiet good.

6=Wolf's Rain, I enjoy the complex ideas about paradise and wolves are my favorite animals so that should answer the question about this being in my top ten. Great character development and animation.

7=Big O, Okay I enjoyed this show because of the mech battles and the way they kept you guessing until the end of the series. I wish they would have had a better ending though.

8=Full Metal Alchemist, This show is great and one of the few animes my mother let me watch with my little brother. It is dark at some points but teaches you that family is important. Great character that are unique to this show. One of the best english dubs I have seen.

9=Vampire Hunter D, Great set of movies. I really enjoy D's personality and if it wasn't for that character this anime would really suck. A great vampire anime. The original movie has pretty old animation and the story is kind of cleshe but it was good and kept me interested.

10=Dragon Ball Z, I know a lot of people dislike DBZ because of the length of the series but I enjoy the characters especially Cell my all time favorite DBZ villian. When the characters are actually fighting it is intense but the length of time between battle takes a little away from the series.

5 Worst

1=SD Gundam, A pathetic attempt to make a childrens version of Gundam. It was stupid and had crap animations. I disliked the fact that they took everything that gundam was and destroyed it.

2=Dragnball GT, Okay I know DBZ was on my top ten list so let me explain. I enjoyed DBZ because of Goku as an adult if I want to see kid Goku I will watch Dragon Ball. They also tried to make it to funny to the point where the series was never serious and they had godlike villians that the struggle was really taken out of the fight.

3=X the movie, A strange anime that I never understood. I think if I had watched the series I might have understood the plot better but the fight were so lame in the movie i don't even want to watch the series.

4=Pokemon, This show is lame the way Ash always wins even when he couldn't no matter what he tried and they have made like eight movies and a spinoff of this series just let it die. It is driving people away from the games which I find to be entertaining.

5=Yugi-Oh GX, I think the idea of a school to teach somebody how to play Yugi-Oh cards is stupid the game is easy. I also dislike the fact that they took all the old characters out. The only reason I like the original Yugi-Oh cartoon and Magna is Kaiba who I find to be a cool character.
Zalis116_v2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:46 am Reply with quote
Mewtwo22 wrote:
3=X the movie, A strange anime that I never understood. I think if I had watched the series I might have understood the plot better but the fight were so lame in the movie i don't even want to watch the series.
The X movie fails because it tries to condense a whole bunch of plot and many characters into 1.5 hours worth of screentime. If you watch the series, you might find a better experience.
Mewtwo22

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:02 am Reply with quote
Zalis116_v2 wrote:
Mewtwo22 wrote:
The X movie fails because it tries to condense a whole bunch of plot and many characters into 1.5 hours worth of screentime. If you watch the series, you might find a better experience.
If the fight scenes are better in the series then I will definantly check it out. Also is the main character of the series as whiney and pitiful in the series as in the movie.
sideout

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I have read over this post for a while now, and it was very useful to me when I first started to watch different anime's. I am very thankful to everyone who has posted their lists, as they helped me decide which shows I would want to watch. There are so many that I have enjoyed and it is very hard to narrow the list down to 5 or even 10, but I will try.

My Favorite Five

5. Bleach and Naruto
I don't know if it is alright to combine these, but to me they are very similar. Both are very long and still ongoing series. Similarly they both involve someone who is a pretty powerful fighter. Many episodes are very intense, I really enjoyed the fight scenes and the many different funny characters. I look forward to the next episode every week, even when they are both straying from the best parts of the anime.

4. GetBackers
Another funny, action packed series. I really liked the thunder emperor! Haha, but the animation of him was really good. I enjoyed it, he acted so innocent most of the time and it made for a really good laugh. And it was pretty serious a lot of the time. The only thing I didn't really like, was that they often times fought the same people over and over again. But I liked the ending and I thought the whole anime was very good. Good animation, good humor, and good fighting.

3.5 Great Teacher Onizuka
I can have one in between 4 and 3 right?! Anyway, this anime is fantastic to me. Every episode was down right hilarious. It is not often that you actually laugh out loud while watching anime, but this did a good job at making me laugh. Almost every episode except the last one made me very happy. And the only reason I wasn't happy about the last episode was because... it was the last episode. =( I want more! I would suggest GTO to anyone, regardless of their taste in anime, because who doesn't like to have fun?

3. RahXephon
I have read many peoples posts about this anime on this forum and others. Many people compare this to NGE, either saying it's a copy or it's not a copy. I liked NGE but I liked RahXephon much more. I liked the kid in NGE, but man... did anyone else feel that he really didn't like to fight? I think he only said it a few hundred times. The guy in Xephon also didn't want to fight, but they didn't revolve the whole anime around him whining. It was also nice that he could fly around and do things, anything is better than being strapped to the ground by a power cable right? I think it was the ending of NGE that ruined it for me, but RahXephon has a beautiful ending. I really liked it, and I think many people would. After you get past the first few episodes I believe it strays away from NGE and becomes much better.

2. Rurouni Kenshin
It is hard to describe my feelings for this series. I only watched the first two parts, currently on the Tales of the Meiji. My problem is that I like the show so much that I don't want to watch it. I don't want it to end. It probably has some of the best fight scenes ever created, and there are lots of them. Well almost every fight scene in the series should be on a list of best anime fight scenes. The love between the two main characters also makes it that much more. I would probably list it as #1, but I havn't finished the series, and probably never will.

1. Ah! My Goddess
When this show started, and a beautiful Goddess came out of a mirror, I almost stopped watching it. I am so glad I didn't. I don't think it is possible to create a more perfect woman than Belldandy, the Goddess who lives with the boy, Keichi. The romance in this series truly makes me happy when I watch it. I wish there were infinitely many episodes. The one thing I wish would have happened, is that in the 40+ episodes that make the series, I hoped they would at least kiss at the end. I mean they did kiss once or twice in the series, and they did truly love each other... It just felt like they kept their feelings bottled up to much. It reminded me of Onegai Teacher for a while. The boy falls in love with an older perfect woman etc. etc. and is scared to tell her he loves her. However I loved the show, and I loved the movie, and I wish everyone would watch it all and enjoy it just as much as I did.

Honorable Mentions
While these didn't make it into my top 5, er 6... they are very good. Honestly, I havn't found an anime I didn't enjoy. It is probably because I picked the ones I wanted to watch from all of the previous posters top lists after reading their descriptions.

Eureka7
This should really be like my 2.5, but I will list it here since I already made a 3.5. This, like Ah! My Goddess, and Onegai Teacher, is another show with an amazing boy, who is in love with a beautiful girl, who is very special. He like the others is scared to tell her he loves her, but by the end he does and it has a beautiful ending. Wow, that sounds so... boring but, it is truly a great show. I don't think many anime have an ending as good as this one, you could say it's perfect? It reminds me a little of the ending in RahXephon.

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
This is a short and sweet series, it's truly fun to watch.

Maburaho
While I don't think many people had this on their list, I feel it is worthy to be on many top 10 lists. The boy was so caring, and if you like that, you'd like this. The trailer on their site is also pretty funny, when it talked about Harry Potter.

GunGRAVE
I liked it, the ending was very sad. I felt like I wanted to cry but yea, I'm not going to cry from watching an anime.

I would like to describe the reasons as to why I like these shows but I don't have the time. However I would like to have the chance to say I really liked these shows, and I would suggest them to anyone who has the desire, (free time), to watch them. Hellsing, Haibane Renmei, FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Blood+, Onegai Teacher, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Tenjou Tenge, and finally another series, that deserves recognition.

Shingetsutan Tsukihime
Arcueid, the vampire girl, is amazing. Much like Belldandy in Ah! My Goddess, she stole my heart away in every episode.

I hope my descriptions are adequate, however I find it hard to convey my feelings about an anime in words. It is probably easier to watch and understand?
tru-alucard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:08 am Reply with quote
FAV. 5

5) Hellsing - altho not one of those animes you'll never forget, it sucked me in from the 1st ep. i loved how it wasnt your standard vampire anime, it had other unique characters in it (like the walter, who altho isnt a vampire, holds his own)

4) Bleach - at first, i hated bleach, it's the same cookie cutter story of a hero trying to further himself. but i got to when they entered soul society and it made me relize that altho it's your cookie cutter story, it's got a twist all it's own that consumes you.

3) Elfen Lied - one of the 1st animes i ever saw with subtitles. i hate that it was so short, but the story holds alot of meaning behind it (in my opinion) that i enjoyed.

2) Evangelion - the 1st mech based anime i ever watched... not really a good reason, but it's the only one i can type out, the reason it's so high on my list is BECAUSE i cant explain why i like it

1) Eureka 7 - probably my single most important anime in my collection. the entire story seems like a cookie cutter hero story at first glance, but then you see how the main chars evolve and grow you see just how diffrent it is. the mech aspect is what original drew me in, but the way spoiler[renton and eurekas relationship grows throughout the show] made me watch to the very end... and that ending, what to say about that ending.... the best way i can desribe it is with 5 words.... "it had me in tears"

honorable mentions

escaflone, full metal panic!, full metal alchemist, ghost in a shell: SAC, Ah my goddess, FLCL (one of the best anime sound tracks in my opinion), many other that i cant think of

hated animes (hate is a strong word, and i think it's well suited for this list)

naruto - i mean come on, 200+ eps and the entire content of them could be put into a hour long movie... (altho i didn't mind the movies as long as you keep them seperate from the series since they did tell a story)

trinity blood - one i first saw on adult swim, at first i like it, but then i went and got the entire series... the ending left more questions then answers, the entire 1st half of it could vanish without a trace and the show would still make just as much sense, and to top it off, they couldnt just stick with vampires and humans, no they had to bring people from space into the story....
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Favorites
My top 4 are really in no order, thus I'm just listing them in alphabetical order Very Happy .

1. Azumanga Daioh
I really like slice of life series, and it was just really out there for me when I saw it. Reminds me of my daily life with my friends at school and outside of school. It's a fairly lighthearted show with some really nice and whimsical comedy moments, and thus I fell in love with it with the 1st episode (and it was even the English Dub!).

2. Dragonball Z
There might be some nostalgia behind this, but it just sticks with me even today. First saw this when I was around 7 or 8 when it was airing on WB (I woke up at like 6 AM just to watch it), and I fell deeper in love with every episode I saw. Goku's optimism and crazy power brought a smile to my face, and seeing him beat down the villains was awesome. Still love the show today, loved the fights, and especially loved the characters.

3. Ouran High School Host Club
Saw the 1st episode and just fell in love. Can't say why I exactly love it (and I don't particularly like the manga); may be the animation, may be the characters, may be the crazy, fairly episodic episodes. The lighthearted, fun humor may have drew me in some as well. Really nice show, and hoping it gets licensed for the US sometime soon.

4. Rurouni Kenshin
Saw it on Toonami when it 1st aired there, and found it really cool. The sword fighting, the cool characters (Sanosuke in particular, though Enishi is better!), and the nice little plot. Proabablyt he same generic reasons so many people like it Laughing .

5. Honey & Clover
Another slice of life series that really drew me in. The drama and comedy moments made it seem kind of easy to relate to (to some extent). Characters (especially Shinobu and Takumi) are really likeable and enjoyable. Just a nice time watching it. The insert songs were also pretty nice. I'm hoping it'll get licensed in the US sometime, but seeing as though the licensing fees for all those songs would be outrageous, I'm kind of pessimistic on the matter.
Grzi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:15 pm Reply with quote
my top ten:
(in no particular order)

*Fullmetal Alchemist
the atmosphere is beautiful, i think it's because of the train rides, trains rule...
and the way the story is told is really clever...

Leiji Matsumoto's Animes
i love his works...
they have a certain something about them, they really have soul Wink
and they are all conected in a way, so I can't simply choose one

Wolf's Rain
i love RPgs, and although this anime doesn't have much in common with them, the idea of a journey towards paradise reminds me of japanese RPGs...
plus, the atmosphere is wonderful...

Cowboy Bebop
a classic, probably the best anime ever...
like a Tarantino movie, only with more sense and better storytelling

Berserk
a masterpiece, even though the end sucks...
the characters are so realistic, their motives are really convincing...

RahXephon
the prettiest anime ever...
i loved NGE, but when i saw RahXephon i thought it was much better...

The Gundam series
love them all...
i love mecha anime and i think Gundam is as good as it gets... it shows war for what it is, without reconstructing WW2, and manages to be more convincing than most WW2 movies...

Haibane Renmei
because it's unlike anything i've seen before...stunning...

Fushigi no Umi no Nadia
an old anime, but it's a beautiful adventurous story, which i highly recommend to everybody...
they simply don't make animes like this nowadays

One Piece/Bleach
pretty good animes, much better than naruto...
really addictive.

Honorable Mentions: Last Exile, Utena, Trigun, X, Gunbuster, Ghost In The Shell SAC, The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya....

My worst anime list.

Flame Of Recca
boooooooooring

Magic Knight Rayearth
booooooooring

X- the movie
visually beautiful, but it ruined the story....
the series are really good though...

MD Geist
it is simply awful

Record Of Lodoss War TV
the OVA was Ok...but the TV series suck..
boring...the animation is bad.

[/b]
EmDiPi_Micke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:48 am Reply with quote
FAVORITES
Rumling Hearts (Kiminozu, Kimibou, KGNE or Kimi ga Nozomu Eien) - This is one of the best animes I've ever seen. Even though I haven't seen that much anime at all, I can say, without a doubt, that this one rocks. The plot is great, just great, and I kind of love the OP. There's no reason to not love it. I'm looking forward to a rewrite of this series, or rather, I hope that the rumor is true. Genres: slice of life, romance and drama.

Elfen Lied - An anime that should be in anyone's collection! I've seen a couple of discussion about this anime, and I can't understand why some don't like it. In an old post someone told me that "the name elfen lied is weird and has nothing to do with the show and it is just there to sound cool". Well, that's wrong. Elfen Lied is german for the Elf Song - and that song is actually played in the series. (And no, it's not the OP, 'cause that is Lilium, which is a great song.) Genres: horror, drama, ecchi (and also a little bit comedy).

Whistle! - The best anime in the category "sports" that I've ever seen actaully. It's about a young boy, Kazamatsuri, who is kind of small. He wants to be a soccer pro, but his size is always in the way. A classic "want to be the best there ever was"-story - which could be kind of boring. But this one I can relate to, so therefore, for me, it's not boring at all. Genres: drama, sports (soccer), slice of life (and also a little bit comedy).

Love Hina - The first anime I saw after "gettin' into the anime world". I bought the DVDs at EB Games - which was a gamble. I didn't know if I would like the anime or not, I just bought it because it was an anime, really. And, oh boy, I loved it ! Nothing can replace Love Hina in my heart! Genres: harem, ecchi, romance, comedy.

Golden Boy - One word: Haha. Hahahaha. This is old-style and very very funny. And even though the art looks kinda crappy, the animation is very well made. A minus for the opening though. Genres: ecchi, comedy

That's the five best animes I've ever seen, I think. The worst is, by far, Love Love? It sucks. Hard.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
My 10 favorites (not including movies):

1. Ergo Proxy - Has been my #1 favorite since I watched the first episode. it's such a great anime. I love all the psychological aspects of it, plus the animation is top notch.

2. Fullmetal Alchemist - A perfect blend of drama, action, and humor. Plus, it's got a great story that really kept me guessing towards the end. I love entertainment like that.

3. Eureka Seven - I wasn't very interested in this show after the first episode, but I decided to continue watching, and I'm so glad I did. The animation is stellar, plus the scripting/story is great as well. I'm loving the relationship between Eureka and Renton.

4. Death Note - My favorite manga, adapted masterfully into an anime series. It's absolutely spot-on so far. Truly and masterpiece.

5. Cowboy Bebop - When it comes to anime, Bebop is truly one of the best ever. It had such a great ending as well.

6. Monster - When I first started watching this, my initial reaction was "Wow." It's such a great piece of work.

7. Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~ (TV & OAV) - Read a preview of the manga in Anime Insider. I liked it, and so I decided to check out the anime. It didn't disappoint, not in the slightest. The music, the animation, the characters designs, all excellent. I'm reading the manga now that the first volume is available in the US, and it's nice to see that the anime was very true to the source material.

8. Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal OAV - Superb, this OAV is. I was blown away by this one. Not to take anything away from the story and animation, but the soundtrack is really what got to me the most.

9. Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo - Interesting, groundbreaking animation, plus a great retelling of the classic novel.

10. Elfen Lied (TV only, OAV was okay) - Yeah, it's gory and ecchi, but despite all that, it's got such a powerful story. I love the OP, beautiful.

My 5 least favorites (not including movies):

1. Ultimate Muscle - I can't believe I even watched this. Such a stupid show.

2. FLCL - I don't see why people like this one so much. It just didn't appeal to me.

3. DNA² OAV - The TV series was very good, but the OAV sequel ruined the story.

4. Mahoromatic - Automatic Maiden - Waay too ecchi for my tastes. X_X

5. Peach Girl - My initial reaction to this: "WTF?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I probably already posted mine but oh well.

1.One Piece- At first I wasn't too intrested but when I got to the Baratie Arc, I really started enjoying One Piece. I love the fights. They're original and well thought out. The characters are very lifelike and have very beliveable pasts.(Not 4kids version). I also cried when spoiler[Luffy fought Usopp]. It's amazing how One Piece can be funny at one part and sad at the next. The mystery surrounding the One Piece universe is simply amazing.

2.Hellsing and Higurashi- I love a good horror flick with a bit of slasher and mystery abound and both series are good at that. Hellsing I fell in love with after buying the first DVD. I love the character, the story, and even the use of religious themes. They just go so well together. Higurashi I enjoyed becuase it mixes two of my favorite generes: Horror and mystery. I liked how the creators didn't reveal everything to us and I also really liked the animation. The story was really spooky and the atmosphere was actually refreshing and cool. I don't know which I like better.

3.Fullmetal Alchemist- Like One Piece, I wasn't too intrested in FMA at first but after buying the first DVD, I found out why people liked it so much. The bond the Elric brothers have reminds me of the bond I have with my own brother. The mix of fantasy with a bit of reality is intresting too. The use of alchemy for fighting intrests me a lot.

4.Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters- I am NOT sorry for liking YGO. I actually liked the story. It's original(Unlike another show with cards. I think we all know what I'm talking about) with fillers that actually don't suck. It's not really generic shonen anime since they don't use their fists and I actually like that. The Japanese YGO and the manga are really good but the only good part of the english version is the Doma saga since it stuck to the original plot.

5.Ichigo Mashimaro- With all the shonen anime I watch, it's pretty refreshing to see characters just being normal... or as normal as it gets in this show. Miu's antics always get me and seeing her facedown on the floor is random. What I really like is how the characters are living and acting like how normal kids would act. Very lifelike and believeable.

That's all I can think of that I truly love. Here's what I hate

1.Chocotto Sister- Who would've thought there would be an anime I'd hate even more than Dragon-Half? The story is so bad and half-assed yet we're actually EXPECTED to take it seriously?! The main chracter makes a wish to Santa for a kid sister? Why not adopt? Or better yet, why not make a believeable plot? The animation is horrible, the chracter designs are horrible, and this so called "slice of life" series is HARDLY slice of life. The only good thing was the android(yes she's an android) sister's voice because she sounded like Rika Furude from Higurashi(A much better series). Lamest anime of 2006. I'd rather have watched Gundou Musashi.

2.Dragon-Half- What a waste of $20. I love series having to do with dragons and half-dragons(even working on a few myself) but this a disgrace to series having to do with that stuff. I hated every character. They were ALL obnoxious. I couldn't like one. And Mink was a Mary Sue with love problems.

3.Shin Chan- Not funny. Bad animation(I KNOW it was intended, you fanboys), Shin chan is a brat who I'd love to beat up. He reminds me of my little cousins.

4.Digimon Frontier- I like Digimon but not Frontier. Takuya pissed me off. He tried too hard to be a leader and it was so hilarious how in one episode he was like "We should treat Tommy like family." Takuya, buddy. You hardly know the kid, 'tard. HOW CAN HE BE LIKE FAMILY TO YOU? My friends are like family to me but that's because I've known them for a long time.

Overrated mention:Avatar the Last Airbender.

I don't see why people like this wannabe anime. It's not giving a good name to anime, it's giving anime a BAD name. In case you fanboys of this show didn't know, it's the same as shows like Naruto: It strives from the plot at times, goes off in different directions and the main chracter is praticaly Naruto in an ugly bald kid's body. The plot is almost like a ripoff of Tales of SYmphonia: A powerful messiah(who's a marty sue FYI) must go on a journey with his friends to save the world. On the way, he makes more friends and more enemies. Naruto's the same: he's chosen by the Hokage to be the vessel for a powerful beast, he must save the world with the help of his friends while making more friends and even more enemies. same with Dragonball. It praticaly follows a formula. And just to make the Avatards even MORE pissed at me, this show's Naruto Version 2. Hope I've offended some of the Avatards. It's HILARIOUS to see them mad. Sadly my friend and his younger brother like this show and my friend actualy MADE me watch it. He's been taken Crying or Very sad .

And that's all I can think of.
Calidh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote
My 5 Favourite animes coming up.

1. Ergo Proxy: God, I just love all in this anime. It's well animated, psycological, and gosh, I love the main characters!

2. Black Lagoon: Alright, I'm not watching anime 24/7, but hell, first time I saw Black Lagoon, I fell for the story, and especially the animation. I find it so groovy, I do especially like Revy and her personality Smile

3. Jyu oh Sei: I haven't seen the whole anime, but well, it's still snatching one of my toppositions. Simply, I like the storyline. The way spoiler[Thor reacts, and take it, when his twinbrother, Rai, falls down into the earth, or eaten by the earth. And I also like it when he beat the leader, just to become the leader. It make me shiver.] Very good, imo.

4. Bleach: Well, call it a cliché (or whatever to say Razz), but I like Bleach, very much. Or, at least I did, before the fillers started. I love the fights, and when spoiler[ Ichigo kicks the Lieutentants arses, 3vs1, I really shiver, I love it ^^, and of course the fight after that, Ichigo vs Kuchiki Byakuya.]

5. Hellsing: What to say, Hellsing. Alucard. Victoria. 3 names. Gosh, it's such a good anime. Haven't watched the OVA's, but I'll take my time to do that sometime later.

Sidesticker! Silver Fang: Aha! This was the first Anime I encountered, before Pokémon and Sailor Moon! And compared to those 2 animes, Silver Fang is a real masterpiece! I remember, it was really cool with all those dogs (sorry, unless you didn't know that Silver Fang actually is about DOGS (Wolfs)!

Alright, that was my top 5 list, at the moment this is posted.
Here's my 5 worse.

1. Fantastic Children: Gosh, as the stupid man I am, I usually finish a serie I've started... That was a BIG mistake with this serie. I don't know, but it must be a childrenserie O.o... Anyway, this serie makes me puke, just when I'm thinking back on it, the story, etc...

2. Inuyasha: I despise this anime.. Same thing, over and over again, hell, the versions I watched wasn't even good animated, makes it even worse...

3. Ranma 1/2: Quite like Inuyasha, this anime goes on and on and on and on, the ending sucks, spoiler[ if you could call it an ending...he doesn't even turn back >.<]

4. Sailor Moon: Long time since I saw it, but hell, I doubt it's got any better over the years, nothing for me, childish.

5. Pokémon: I'm not really sure how many episodes it does exist, or videos, of Pokémon, but I don't like it. The animation is bad (imo), the story is nothing to brag about, and the characters are silly.[/b]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 46 of 122