• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Best Buy to Change DVD Strategy

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
There are no exceptions listed on the little sign in the store.

And it is 50% off the stickered price.

I was surprised by both. I thought there'd be some titles not included and that the 50% would be off the retail price but it was a nice bonus.

Only one of the 4 Best Buys in El Paso had this clearance and I walked away with Code Geass season 1 part 2, Dokuro-chan, Fate Stay Night complete series, Negima!? part 1, Negima!? Spring Summer specials, Shuffle vol 5, and the Bleach movie 1 and it all came out to 109.44 including tax.

One of my friends walked out with 4 of the Dragon Ball Z uncut sets for about $20 each and another friend took out a haul of a little over $150 worth of stuff, Fullmetal Alchemist, Samurai 7, Evangelion, Bleach, and other stuff.

It's sad that the store happens to be the closest Best Buy from me but I rarely buy anime at B&Ms anyway so meh.
kitoudark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Got myself a few more titles than i should have but meh, if im gonna buy them anyway might as well all at once while there 50% off. I managed to pick up Black Cat, Ergo Proxy, Ghost in the Shell SAC 1st gig, Negima, Tsubasa, Coyote Ragtime, Airgear, and Gundam seed destiny Tv movie boxset(just the box and movie 1). I would have gotten more but the only best buy around me in Ga that had it going on had a lousy half a shelf area for anime, but im satisfied overall. I just wish ANY of the best buys around me would keep the 2 part gundam boxsets stocked, im lucky to see Wing but never any seed or (what I've really been after) Seed Destiny Sad
JetWhite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
WOW I just got the idea of doing in store pickup for one in another city because the one in town isn't on the list. So I decided to call the store to see if I did in store pickup and then they would refund the money when I got there, blah blah blah. Well long story short the lady said that someone there told her it was 15% off not 50% off. Not sure maybe I'll head up there not knowing it's only an hour away sometime this week to see what's going on...
GwennBlackfeather

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
JetWhite wrote:
WOW I just got the idea of doing in store pickup for one in another city because the one in town isn't on the list. So I decided to call the store to see if I did in store pickup and then they would refund the money when I got there, blah blah blah. Well long story short the lady said that someone there told her it was 15% off not 50% off. Not sure maybe I'll head up there not knowing it's only an hour away sometime this week to see what's going on...

Rest assured, friend - it's 50. It should be in the computers, so ask someone to price check something for you. Preferably something older.
JetWhite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Well I just called them. I think I got to head over there but can't really until Wednesday...so...might have to force a trip tomorrow or something...

It sucks too because when I was searching online they had just about everything I was looking for. Hopefully it stays that way until then.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh, such a great haul. Totally worth the hour and a half trip to get to the nearest one. xD

Boxsets of Tsubasa Chronicle, FMP: TSR, Shana, Black Lagoon, Suzuka, and Moribito Part 1 for only about $100. I might have to go back to get some of what I passed up on...*_*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
For anyone checking out the sales, just like others are already posting, make sure you talk to the sales people or look for the signs about the 50% off. I was able to pick up Rahxephon, Shingu Secret of the Stellar Wars, and Blue Gender collections at 50% off up here in MI. Shingu and Blue Gender did not ring up as sale prices, so after a bit of checking and rigamarole by the sales people, I eventually got them to give me the sale prices.

It doesnt seem like too many people were aware of the sale since no one else was checking the anime section when I was.

It's a good time to pick up whatever you need from them!
zhir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
What a great sale. Grabbed the 2nd Geass LE, the last two Second Barrage discs, the first part of Death Note, and the first Vol of Baaccano (they have the rest, so if I like it I can come back).
kylewasson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Just came back from the North Spokane, WA Best Buy (#362, and yes, they had the little tags saying all anime is 50% off, but not labelled on individual titles) and we got a pretty good haul (between me and my roommate).

I got the last volume of Karin, Suzuka boxset, and Elemental Gelade boxset for $66.27 (8.7% sales tax included).

My roommate splurged a bit - he got 3 seasons of Yu-Yu-Hakusho, 2nd Season of Ah! My Goddess, Xenosaga boxset, Black Blood Brothers boxset and Robotech: Protoculture Collection for $147.76 (sales tax included)!

Now, just imagine my surprise as I was getting rung up at the checkout. The cashier says, "You know this is the most I've seen people buying Anime" - so I told him about the article posted on ANN and also asked if the Valley (#355) one would still sell Anime normally and he said "No..." Um... Exclamation Question Exclamation Question

Last I checked, that store (#355) wasn't on the list and unless I'm missing something - then that means that the three series(s) I need to finish (Tsubasa, Lucky Star and Gurren Lagann) may or may not be thrown on their shelves on March 17th! I might have to head out to #355 here in the near future to see if that is true (the sale and all).

GAH!! This is pretty much the only reason I really go out to Best Buy and if it continues like this - I may just have to wean myself into buying online. *shudders*

Last edited by kylewasson on Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:35 pm; edited 4 times in total
shiroihikari

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
My husband and I got seasons four, five, and six of DBZ for about 60 dollars total. The selection at my store wasn't all that great otherwise. Lots of big titles, but other than DBZ and Ouran (which I thought about getting but decided to pass for now), they didn't have anything I'd be willing to buy even at half off. I guess they had just stopped ordering stuff. We were really hoping to find some Zeta Gundam or something. :[
Gamer_Girl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
We went to the store in Paducah Kentucky. We spent about $260 on all of our stuff. They did not have any signs about the sale and none of the people who worked there knew about the sale. Just FYI. There were 2 other people who were waiting for it to open other then me and my husband. I'm suprised there were that many people who knew about it. Here is our list and pictures.

- The Girl Who Left Through Time: Movie
- Negima!? Spring & Summer Specials
- Darker then Black: Volume 1
- Black Blood Brother: Complete Series
- Moribito: Series Part 1
- Ergo Proxy: Complete Series
- Witchblade: Complete Series
- Ah! My Goddess, Flights of Fancy: Complete TV Series Season 2
- Tsubasa: Season One
- Le Chevalier D'Eon: Complete Series
- Black Lagoon: Season 1
- Negima!?: Season 1
- School Rumble: Season 2 Part 1

Last edited by Gamer_Girl on Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, I dropped about $350 at two stores: 22 titles, including sets and singles. Luckily the first I drove to had the full-size anime section, so most of the money went there. I probably missed getting some items, having gone later in the day. I wasn't able to finish any of my singles series. By the time I got there, though, no one else was around (of course, there were more cars in front of PetSmart than BB anyway). The second store was the half-section size, and I still got a few titles I missed from the first. I decided not to drive another 45 minutes one way tomorrow, as I doubt the ones I couldn't find already would be there.

Thanks for those mentioning to check the 50%. The first place had no idea, and about 1/3 of the titles didn't ring the discount. Same thing at the second one, but they had experienced it. They won't argue, but just tell them up front that it's happening in all the stores so they verify every item as they scan it.

I figure I saved about 25% over my usual online buying, though I would have waited on some titles and done as well on price, so the benefit is getting them now--Black Lagoon S2, for instance (yay, I can finally marathon the entire series). Still, great opportunity to grab anime that, I'm afraid, is going to become more and more difficult to get by any means.

BTW, someone mentioned, and it's true--this is a good thing for the industry, not a bad thing. A DVD in the hands of a consumer is always superior to on the shelf, and especially back in Funi's warehouse. Yes, the opportunities for buying in B&M are less, and there's some potential loss from not getting aisle browsers to try anime, but overall having the discs in customers hands means more people talking about it and showing it to friends as well as the cash to distributors.

EDIT: Since I buy everything online, I can't judge, but I also felt like they had not been stocking the section much for awhile, already knowing this was going to happen.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I got Kashimashi (complete), Fate/Stay Knight (complete), and Howl's Moving Castle for a total of $47 Smile

I'm thinking of stopping back in a week ... I passed on Black Lagoon - probably should have gotten it! If it's still there when/if I go back - it was meant to be! Smile

I was disappoined with the meager selection, though ... this was also the sparse (for anime) Best Buy ... but the other one near me isn't having the sale.

And just to throw this in - I also stopped by Suncoast while I was out (my favorite "anime store" by far) and picked up Shattered Angels (complete) and a used copy of Ranma 1/2 season 1 ~ woo ...
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, since my store is still on the list, I plan to go there on Tuesday afternoon. Luckily I'm getting paid later this week to fall back on in a couple of days since I get the feeling the rest of my paycheck will be gone then. XP
nedmech

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, I had to stop in and pick up some hardware today, and figured I'd check out the sale. No advertised sale, just little tags on the anime shelves.

The selection was pretty slim already though. I did manage to pick up Negima, the first set of Negima!?, and the Negima Spring and Summer special DVD, though. They are a favorite of my wife and I.

I also tried to cash in on a set of Voltron DVD's for my daughter. One of her favorites on Boomerang. Unfortunately, stupid corporate idiots at Best-Buy doesn't consider Voltron as Anime. It was stocked in their Anime section, but rang up full price as "TV Series". Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 17