• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Best Buy to Change DVD Strategy

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote
WHY GOD WHY?

Dover, DE, had to be on the list? What did we ever do to deserve it?

Lately, though, I've been buying more anime off RightStuf, Amazon, and eBay (What I've just gotten from the latter site wasn't bootlegs). Still, you never want to see a store cut down its anime stock. Hell, Dover's store seemed to mostly carry top-sellers to begin with!
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
There's a reason the Wooster Best Buy has low sales. They don't stock anything, they skip random volumes, and what they do stock, they put out dozens of copies of. No matter how well Death Note sells, you don't need 16 copies of volume 3! They didn't get rid of those until the box came out.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Did you know that leaving things on the shelf actually takes up time? They have people who have to physically count every item in the store every week. Now imagine if the store has (anime or not) around 100 DVDs that didn't sell just sitting on the shelf... See what I'm saying?

People would have to count to 100?
I would hope most stores would have a larger number of items sitting on their shelves week to week anyway. Wink

I am kinda surprised I didn't see the store closest to me on this list, but the Midland store is only about 10 minutes farther, I haven't' ever been there, however I am thinking about it to see if there are any deals worth buying when the cuts start.
bci110

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
No surprise the Macedonia and Steelyard Commons (OH) stores are cutting back on anime. Those stores had a lousy anime section to begin with. They're also pretty small stores (especially the Steelyard Commons one - that store sucks Evil or Very Mad ).

I'm just glad that the Mentor, Mayfield Heights, and Parma stores (the BB stores I frequent) are not on the list Cool .
MilitantRabbit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
All my local stores are safe.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, the 2 Best Buys within 5 min of me won't be having the 50% sale. Wait, that may be a good thing. A few within 10-15 min will have the sale though. But I'm too lazy to drive that far!
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
No surprise the Macedonia and Steelyard Commons (OH) stores are cutting back on anime. Those stores had a lousy anime section to begin with. They're also pretty small stores (especially the Steelyard Commons one - that store sucks Evil or Very Mad ).

I'm just glad that the Mentor, Mayfield Heights, and Parma stores (the BB stores I frequent) are not on the list Cool .

Yeah, the Wooster BB was probably as bad as that Steelyard Commons one. What pissed me off about them was things like having seasons 1 and 3 of Yu Yu Hakusho, and only recently getting season 2 at all, or getting all the volumes of Maburaho except volume 4, all of School Rumble except volume 3, things like that. Why stock volumes 4 and up of a show if you're not going to stock volume 3? And they only got TWO COPIES of Afro Samurai: Resurrection when it was released, and those sold out within 10 minutes of opening. Sure, they did SOME good things, like stocking the Gunbuster VS Diebuster BD boxset, but that's not enough. Only good news to come from this story is the 50% off sale starting the first, and the fact that the Canton Best Buy, the one I try to use more often, will be unaffected.

Hell, if it wasn't for the fact that Walmart has a horrible selection of Blu-Ray, I'd just stop going to the Wooster Best Buy all together.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately there are alot of Michigan-based stores on the list.

That's probably partially attributable to the "carpocalypse" going on around the area.

I've been to the listed stores in the area, most of the time their inventory was just never updated. Or if it was restocked it was with two year old titles. It's hard to sell the new stuff if you don't put it on the shelf.
nedmech

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they'd sell more Anime if their prices were a little more reasonable. It's pretty hard to justify spending $20+ on a single DVD with at most 5 episodes on it. That's $4 per episode! It's no wonder streaming and torrents are Anime fans' preferred methods of viewing. Nobody in their right mind can afford the stuff at retail prices.

Well, my local store is on the list, so I'll have to go check out their "sale" prices next month. Maybe they'll actually be reasonable prices then. (yeah, right! Rolling Eyes)
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
At least the Salisbury, MD, Best Buy isn't on the list.

I'd go there, but I'm not up for paying sales tax (Which Delaware doesn't have) on my anime.
boznia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, it looks like about half the stores in this state are on this list. Honestly, I'm somewhat surprised it wasn't more than that. One of the local ones managed to make it, though.
KrisEllieOphi

Quote:
205 Irving TX

Well...crap.
I was already having a hard time finding the right titles there, too.
Guess I'll just go straight to Fry's from now on.
britannicamoore

Well, the two major stores I frequent weren't on that list: Southfield, MI and Dearborn, MI.

Farmington will be a loss, but they have a lot of old titles on the shelves, so I'll be there.

As for the other stores in MI, (that i've been too) my thoughts:

Rochester: The selection was barely there to begin with.
Brighton: had less then 20 anime dvd to begin with. Maybe they'll have more now.
Farmington: Has a lot of old titles on the shelves. That will be where i go and get the sale stuff.

So I know it says titles but is anyone else wondering if they'll just have all Naruto on the shelves?
I look forward to the sell, with a bit of a heavy heart. Anyone hear have a Best Buy credit card? How is it? i see this sale starts on a Sunday? Does that happen often?

This is more of a push to buy online. People are always saying things there are cheaper, but when the B&M go away I wonder what will happen to those prices...

Last edited by britannicamoore on Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
oddly, the store by me cutting has only been open for 5 months... what track record? I'm wondering how this will affect not destinations sales... There are many buys I have made from them where I saw a title while looking for something else. I swung by here to do some research, maybe catch a trailer or crunchyroll, and then go pick it up. There IS a certain difference between shopping entirely online and holding something in your hand. I can't say that I browse Amazon like you would a store.

I can imagine it would be hard to quantify sales like that, though. Oh well, we'll always have right stuf and amazon, right? [Heh, and secondspin for the used stuffs]
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
YAY Huntington, WV isn't affected by this thats where I get most of my anime if I go to the mall up there. Plus if they don't have what I want on the shelves I can always purchase on there website with an gift card!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 17