• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass: Akito the Exiled's New Trailer Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
Maaya san mentioned during the butai aisatsu that one of the reasons why she was asked to sing the theme song was to sort of bring back the old Escaflowne combination of Akane kantoku, Kanno Youko, and Sakamoto Maaya. It was a very good choice imo!

Surrender Artist wrote:
Galap wrote:
Getting off the CG thing that's most of this thread, I'd also like to say that from a story perspective I'm really excited about this, mostly because Kazuki Akane is directing, and he's like my favorite director ever. His stuff has a certain... feel to it that's hard to describe but very intense. From the short visuals in this trailer, it seems to have some of that. I decently liked Code Geass, and if Akane brings a lot of himself into this, I think it could easily be better than the main shows. I actually think Code Geass is kind of in need of someone like him and his style.

I'll ditto a lot of that. I really liked Birdy the Might Decode (oh, for the third season... but it will never be) and even ANNCast punching bag Heat Guy J had plenty going for (in fairness, it was mocked for what Geneon paid for it, not its content). I haven't seen Noein[i] or [i]Vision of Escaflowne yet, but I want to. I can't honestly peg what I makes his work so appeal to me, but he can stage very effective, memorable scenes. (There's one scene in particular from the second half of Birdy the Mighty that I won't seen forget, or not unconsciously wince just thinking about)

The only thing that disappointed me about this trailer is that it didn't use the kickass jazz from the earlier ones. I hope that wasn't just a for the those.
Zopyros

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:40 am Reply with quote
I love Code Geass, can't wait!
loube31

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
loube31 wrote:
Can anyone explain to me please ; what does it mean the CGI ?
and how can you find out if this technique is used in a video ?

Traditionally, animation is done by drawing, either on paper or on a computer touch tablet, the images. You have a series of pictures basically, which are sequenced and colored and cleaned up, becoming the animation you see. In this case, the artist, with great skill, must mentally figure out how objects will move, which is no simple feat because they must imagine how things will rotate and move in 3 dimensions. This is why moving backgrounds and rotations are not
extremely commonly used; they require a lot of time and skill to do.

Often, to avoid this, studios use CGI, or computer generated images, where an actual simulated 3d model is made in a computer and the computer calculates the perspective shifts of its rotation. This is much easier to do, as it does not require the extreme mental skill of keeping track of changing perspective. Many people (myself included) think that this takes some of the art out of it. I personally like to see those incredible times when extremely talented artists are capable of emulating convincing 3d motion and mass and momentum physics through pure imagination and drawing. The difference between CG and traditional animation is kind of like the difference between painting and photography. Both are arts, but one captures a little more of the skill and 'soul' of the artist.

As for how to recognize CG, well, Usually CG things look well, just different than the others. They rotate smoother and completely accurately, rather than being able to see how the artist actually did it. It's actually a lot like being able to tell the difference between a painting and a photograph.

thanks for explaining that ... you mean that CGI helps studios to reduce the number of pictures plus won time but eradicate the artiste's imagination ... but I think that CGI is only used in moving solid body like machines ; I mean that it cant be used to moving a human picture because of the changes in his appearence like his hair , eyes ... . Am I right ??
Also .. I tried hardly to recognize in this video the difference between the CGI and traditional animation but i didn't Sad ... can you give me another exemple for CGI videos please ?
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Firstly I am very happy to see this project nearing completion and release, it has been a long time coming and will see one of the finest anime series continued with great skill and artistry with Akane as Director i feel very confident. Fine people involved in this project and it has the flair and impact of the first two seasons and will be a honour to anime i am sure.

As for the discussion of animation techniques, i hate to break it to the anti CGI purists but as a professional artist and anime researcher, it has long been the practice of anime production to utilize software production for the in betweens and for much of the work stream, since the late 1990s and you would quite likely never know the difference, so that discussion while fun to read and amusing is hardly relevant to the news at hand. Study up on the production methods and you will realize why real Anime people wont bother much with such criticism.

What does impress and interest me is the wonderful flair they have maintained clearly in this new segment of the series, very nice settings, character design and overall, I feel confident we will enjoy this new part of the story. And I think some long questions about certain characters will be laid to rest and answered which will be fun, even tho we have had clear messages for those who listened as to what actually happened. Great news and thanks for sharing it.

CrisGer
Anime Academy
Senior Fellow
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
InuNaruPokeAlchemist wrote:
I am really looking forward to this Smile

Same here. The character designs are nifty as usual, the action scenes look great, the premise as it's thus far been presented as me very much intrigued, and the movie budget is promising for some eye-popping mech battles.

Glad the psychotic jazz number was absent from this trailer too. I love so many types of jazz, but that was just grating on the nerves by the end of it.

Wondering how Akito will differ from Mr. Hamtastic rebellion leader. Wink
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Wondering how Akito will differ from Mr. Hamtastic rebellion leader. Wink

Akito really is quite awesome. While Lelouch seeked the spotlight, Akito is kind of the opposite. He's not anti-social but he doesn't go out of his way to be flashy and capture attention. I'm definitely looking forward to how his character will develop.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Digimontamerfreak wrote:
found it funny how no one made a mention of "that character", guess i'll be first, any theories on who it might be? my money is on lelouche or c2 since she never did get her wish.

spoiler[It's Suzaku. C.C. also appears, but I am guessing she appears as part of a flashback of Reira's past since the illustrations during the credits show a young Reira standing in a lake with C.C.]

Again, for those interested, I've posted spoilers here.

At first I wasn't too interested in the show despite it being another Geass, but Holy Jesus, if it is him then HELL YEAH I'm gonna check in on the show! He's my favorite character in Geass. Was he in the trailer? If so I must have missed him or just thought it wasn't him and just a look-a-like.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
At first I wasn't too interested in the show despite it being another Geass, but Holy Jesus, if it is him then HELL YEAH I'm gonna check in on the show! He's my favorite character in Geass. Was he in the trailer? If so I must have missed him or just thought it wasn't him and just a look-a-like.

I mentioned it in a previous post, but I attended an advanced screening of the first episode on Monday. The character shows up in the preview for the second episode.
Nagito

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
Actually, those CGIs shown are a lot better than those used in Total Eclipse which at times seem more like lazy work to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3