• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Wave High Advanced Model Tachikoma

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't the "ass" (as you pointed out later, the cockpit) have to be hollow for people to ride in it?

Sucks that you wasted your money, but since Tachikomas are one of the few things I might actually buy a model of someday, it's good to have your review.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Love the last picture- Here's hoping that Krauser gets to make cameos in every column!
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I can understand being disappointed with the lack of features, and yes probably for $60 I'd expect some diecast metal or high-impact styrene instead of cheap polypropylene, but honestly it doesn't look like a badly-inaccurate or particularly poorly crafted figure to me.

$60, definitely a little exorbitant, but if it were the last day of a convention and some dealer was willing to go down to $20 to make back their table rent, I'd bite.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Wouldn't the "ass" (as you pointed out later, the cockpit) have to be hollow for people to ride in it?

Sucks that you wasted your money, but since Tachikomas are one of the few things I might actually buy a model of someday, it's good to have your review.

I believe the point was that it's good that it's hollow since it is more balanced but the problem was that it doesn't open at all.
UltimateSpaceLion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:40 am Reply with quote
WorldofElegance wrote:
I am sad that this Tachikoma model was so crappy. I've always wanted to invest in one, and I'm glad I know better than to get this one now.

I guess I'll have to pony up for the metal Tachikoma figure now...

Oh yes, the metal one is beautiful. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it comes with a proper poseable, to-scale Major (the one that comes with this plastic tachikoma is hardly to-scale - she's almost taller than it!) who can sit into the ass cockpit. Highly recommended!
PrettyCranium

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
I actually have this figure (well, the Solid State Society version) and I think the review is a bit harsh. Overall it's a great-looking figure, especially if it's for display and not to really play with. I will agree, however, that the price is too high for the product. A $30-$40 price point would have been more reasonable. I was quite happy with my Tachikoma, though.
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
From the second to last picture, it looks like Rob bought a 1:24 Tachikoma model kit: http://www.hlj.com/product/WAVKK-01 that the guys at WAVE put together and painted. The four I have came with the three nose pieces and an unpained Motoko figure.
Raja

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
These things pop up at the local recycle shop on a regular basis...and now I know why. Great review. I wonder what the guys at Kayodo could do with a Tachikoma.

I know how you feel -- I have just wasted some money on some boxed Macross figurines. N.B.: If any of you see something called "Macross Collection Part.1 '09" from a company called CM'S, don't be tempted. They really suck. I'm lucky I only wasted around $20 on them...
flyindreams

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to say as many others have done that I adore this column, especially (unfortunately) when you get something cruddy. This week's review actually made me want to get a Tachikoma figure - I own no anime figures to date - but probably not this one lol.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:07 am Reply with quote
Hahaha, last picture was priceless Twisted Evil

But man, I'm glad I didn't buy that thing when I was thinking of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2