• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist's 3rd New TV Commercial Streamed

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Funimation?

If you wanna make an announcement, you need to do it soon. We're one month away. Razz

Harmless teasing of american licensing company aside, I think I speak for a large majority when I say the wait is quite intense. Finally, something lengthy and worthwhile to begin watching again. It'll help fill the void when Clannad ends.
shezni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote
This one looks fantastic! Finally, we get to see some of the other characters in this one. Roy looks marginally better here, IMHO. I'm still holding out for a CM where they show some of the manga-only characters though.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
This one looks FANTASTIC.

Hey, Funimation, GET YOUR BUTTS IN GEAR AND LICENSE THIS.
shezni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

Hey, Funimation, GET YOUR BUTTS IN GEAR AND LICENSE THIS.

Haha, my thoughts exactly. C'mon, Funi, we're waaaaaaiting! *taps foot*
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
So this brings up another discussion that's been rampant and I've been curious to ask again...

Pretty much everyone would prefer for Funimation to bring back the previous cast, assuming they get it, right?
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Has there been any word on the story yet? Obviously they're abandoning the first series ending, but is the new series a complete retelling or do they just pick up the story where the manga and the first series started to go differently?
shezni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
So this brings up another discussion that's been rampant and I've been curious to ask again...

Pretty much everyone would prefer for Funimation to bring back the previous cast, assuming they get it, right?

Well, I don't know about everyone, but I'd certainly prefer it that way. I'm even in favor of bringing back Aaron Dismuke for Al. Sure, his voice has changed, but I've heard him recently and to be honest, I think his voice fits more now than it did before. I mean, Al's a fourteen-year-old, for cryin' out loud.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:

If they'd replace Vic Mignogna, I could at least tolerate the dub.

Otherwise, Romi Paku and Rie Kugimiya are Edward and Alphonse Elric to me.

The animation in the trailer is pretty slick. I'm on the fence about the more manga-friendly character designs (is it me, or does Armstrong look slimmer?), but I'll wait and see before I make any definite judgements.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Has there been any word on the story yet? Obviously they're abandoning the first series ending, but is the new series a complete retelling or do they just pick up the story where the manga and the first series started to go differently?

Well, since they didn't actually follow the manga 100% closely to begin with, and because spoiler[Hughes is listed in their character section, and he'd be dead at the point it "went differently"], my guess is it's a total reboot.

Oh, if Funimation licensed this and did an as-it-goes release like it did with Shikabane-hime, I'd be the happiest fangirl on the planet! If they license it and don't release it... good luck getting fansubbers to not do it. Fans will want this badly enough that it'll get done regardless of licensing, albeit by less prestigious groups. I hope it doesn't come to that.
shezni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:

Well, in that respect, Funi has two options.

1) Recast Vic and make the majority of fans happy, which equals more potential moolah or
2) Cast someone else and invoke the rage of Risembool Rangers across the nation

I'd hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure the good ol' boys at Funi will go with option 1.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Well, since they didn't actually follow the manga 100% closely to begin with, and because spoiler[Hughes is listed in their character section, and he'd be dead at the point it "went differently"], my guess is it's a total reboot.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that. Yeah, looks like a reboot then. Not too keen on that, but I'm still going to be picking this up.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Wow, what's with the Vic hate? I thought he did a fine job...o_O
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
darcerin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
shezni wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:

1) Recast Vic and make the majority of fans happy, which equals more potential moolah or

I'd hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure the good ol' boys at Funi will go with option 1.

While not a Risembool Ranger, I am a fan of Vic's because of his Ed (although certainly nowhere near rabid as some of the others...).
And forget the Rangers wrath, they'd have to worry about VIC's wrath first! He's a TOTAL fanboy for FMA.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that. Yeah, looks like a reboot then. Not too keen on that, but I'm still going to be picking this up.

Yeah, the reboot is actually making me happy I'd yet to buy the first series (with Geneon going under all of their stuff took priority, and then I took a huge pay-cut and couldn't afford anything), this way I can decide which one I'd rather have. Though maybe they'll both be great and I should get them both...? We'll see.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:43 pm Reply with quote
shezni wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:

Trust me, I'm not expecting Funimation to cast anyone other than Mignogna for the role. Unfortunately.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7