• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - True Fans

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notazaku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
^
@angelmcazares
Sentai and Funi have given no indication that they are even interested in such a path. Sentai has been able to release quite a few blurays in a timely manner and Funi's problems are mostly involving Kadokawa. Personally I'd rather wait than pay double now. Plus it won't work for every title. Aniplex USA can have a success with Madoka but lesser titles would be a tougher sell.
Betenoire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

How about this, what if instead of delaying BD's, Sentai and FUNi were to sell limited editions BD sets at Aniplex USA prices. They could sell them exclusively at the RightStuff and allow only customers with US and Canada addresses to order them. That could curtail (or end altogether) reverse importation.

What would be the point of that though? Selling titles at Japanese prices is a very, very limited market in the US. Sentai or FUNi or whoever would have to spend money licensing and making discs that are even more risky in terms of possible return on investment then the chances they already take on some titles they already are putting out at the going market rate.

And from Japan's perspective if there are enough US fans willing to pay that much for (basically) the same discs what is the upside for them to sell the license to an R1 company and take lower money rather than selling the titles themselves? Maybe it lowers their risk slightly but they aren't printing thousands of discs to sell in the US anyway (unless they are stupid) and with the discs being the same all they are really paying for is some subtitles and translation work (Though S'mores will tell you this is horrendously expensive I guess) and a couple of hundred slightly different packaging inserts.

And that is before factoring in the hit that the companies would take from irate fans "certain" that this was a sign R1 companies are just out to screw them or those just angry about the Japanese companies policies and, lacking the ability to take it out on them directly, redirect their anger at the R1 companies that they perceive are facilitating this move.

I guess the companies could do it but I just see this as far too much risk for rather little potential reward for the R1 companies while also not financially being worth it to the Japanese companies either.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm not part of the American release buying market, but I'd also say it's a bad idea for American distribution companies to copy Aniplex. Aniplex is a Sony subsidiary. I've heard that Aniplex is a high risk subsidiary that can make lots of losses. However, part of the reason why I think Sony would want to prop it up and support it is because it promotes the consuming of material that goes with hardware Sony creates.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
I'm not part of the American release buying market, but I'd also say it's a bad idea for American distribution companies to copy Aniplex. Aniplex is a Sony subsidiary. I've heard that Aniplex is a high risk subsidiary that can make lots of losses. However, part of the reason why I think Sony would want to prop it up and support it is because it promotes the consuming of material that goes with hardware Sony creates.
Sounds like the deal Pioneer had back in the 90's and we all know where that ended up. Sony's own business stratagy of late isn't doing their annual profits any good, so if this is a gamble on their part, it's catamount to gambling with the mortgage payment instead of using it to pay it off. Higher risk than anticipated me thinks.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
yes it was, so was sin city, seven and other "adult graphic novels".

<<

>>

Lol, no. XD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12