• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - True Fans

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I went back to last week's post and Mr. Answerman does indeed say that we can e-mail him with questions and comments. But he did not specify if wee can also send him questions and comments through this forum.

of course you can! i read every single comment in the talkbacks - i don't post all that often (considering, i guess, the fact that i read it ALL) because i'd rather not control the flow the conversation about my *own* article, you dig? feel you can send me a PM if you're desperate. i'm also on twitter (just search my name) if you are DESPERATE to insult me at any hour of the day; since that goes straight to my phone, there's no way for me to ignore it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:
Pokemon and Digimon are edited dubs, yet I feel Digimon dub surpasses its original. I tried watching the original. It was boring. Does that not make me a true Digimon fan because I watched the "edited" dub?

Pretty much. The Digimon dubs aren't really the shows at all.

And how anyone could prefer repeating the title of the show over and over again over Braveheart, Break Up, EVO, or With the Will is beyond me.

I'll just chalk it up to nostalgia for my own sanity.

But ignoring things like taste and quality, It doesn't matter if you like it or not; it's different. You haven't actually watched the actual version of Digimon Adventure and beyond. You can say you're a fan of the dub, but not the actual original show itself.

Personally, this just makes me glad Digimon is dead in the US. No more people who can watch some hackjob and then say they know everything about a show. Xros Wars would be destroyed by a dub/censors.. at least anyone who watches it has to judge it based on it's actual version and not some massacre of a dub.

Speak for yourself. Like I said get off your high horse.

I'm not a fan of the original? I freaking bought the original Japanese boxsets at 700 dollars apiece (4 seasons), so don't go telling me I'm not a fan because I chose not to watch it in a language I can not understand.

For me, fans are fans if they'll willing to buy the product or not. However way they watch it doesn't matter to me.

I can call out to you not being a fan for illegally downloading the fansubs and not buying the product. That doesn't make you a fan, it makes you a pirate.

And for your information, Digimon is not dead. An official DVD set is coming out in October, thank you very much.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:

Why don't you just look for examples yourself? No, really, why don't you? And it's not even a matter of me saying it's your responsibility to do that. If you were there during all the threads about Qwaser of the Stigmata, the ANN preview guide, anything about 4Kids, and all of that other crap, (and I know you threw your 2 cents in at least some of those arguments), you should get an idea of what I'm talking about. It's not in my head, it all happened where everyone else can see it.

Funny, I don't remember anyone in the Qwaser thread going "you must like Qwaser of Stigmata or you are not a "True Fan"".

On the other hand, I remember a lot of people stomping into that thread who were indignant that the show even exists, and hurling insults at anyone who liked it.

But, I am more than willing to concede the point if you can demonstrate where your scenario happened. Truly, I wait with baited breath.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
What makes these people decide who is and isn't a "fan" in the first place? These people have no real connection to the property itself - they just like it an awful lot, usually to the exclusion of many other things.

The highlighted text is what separates a "fan" (short for fanatic) from a casual viewer.

Of course, I don't believe there's some ultimate state of fandom that one reaches, akin to a Super Saiya-jin transformation, in which he can be labeled a "true" fan. Yet, I do, nonetheless, see a hierarchy of enthusiasm (the quality that makes a fan, well, a fan!) separating something like a "non-fan" (has seen a Grave of the Fireflies, or an Akira, and, while they enjoyed them, doesn't really view anime or even particularly likes the medium), a "casual viewer" (only watches anime on TV or maybe even streaming) and an Otaku (DVD collections -- predominately of anime --, legal site subscriptions, attends cons, and anime has hobby status in their everyday lives).

There is that up-to-downward spiral pecking order, as it relates to the concept of "fanatic". In laymen's terms: you can be more of a fan than someone else.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I have a few of Wendy Pini's prints (one signed!) and am very jealous that you met them. Smile

Well, don't be too jealous. It's not like we got to have dinner. It lasted about 6 minutes as my girlfriend did most of the talking. When Wendy saw me standing there, she asked me what I thought. I basically told her I just read the comic the night before and I enjoyed it.

She thanked me, signed a copy, and handed it to me and said she hopes I'll continue reading. I did at that, before we moved.

As for the comic: lost during the move, as well as every Lego collection I had amassed in my years. Though "lost" isn't exactly true as I suspect my mom ensured that box didn't make it on the truck. She hated those blocks because I never put them up (but they always stayed in my room). I'm sure her feet still hurt.
Very Happy
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Otherwise, pretty much. The Digimon dubs aren't really the shows at all. Ignoring things like taste and quality, It doesn't matter if you like it or not; it's different. You haven't actually watched the actual version of Digimon Adventure and beyond. You can say you're a fan of the dub, but not the actual original show itself. Or if you have seen it, and didn't like it, then no, you're not a fan of it apparently.

Personally, this just makes me glad Digimon is dead in the US. No more people who can watch some hackjob and then say they know everything about a show. Xros Wars would be destroyed by a dub/censors.. at least anyone who watches it has to judge it based on it's actual version and not some massacre of a dub. If only more anime was so lucky.

Two words: Digimon Tamers. Again, that show was NOT edited or censored. Those who died in the original died in the dub, the story was not changed or edited, the word "die" was not removed, the kids being naked during the mega level was felt alone. How exactly was it not the same show as the original? Just because it had different audio?

Oh, my God, I'm defending an English dub...
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
But, I am more than willing to concede the point if you can demonstrate where your scenario happened.

The point isn't whether or not I was victimized. I never said I was victimized, you just kept assuming that. I'm saying I find the "true fan" argument really annoying and I have the right to express that.

And no, I'm not wasting my time providing you evidence. I already said why. Look for it yourself.

Last edited by Hypeathon on Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Two words: Digimon Tamers. Again, that show was NOT edited or censored. Those who died in the original died in the dub, the story was not changed or edited, the word "die" was not removed, the kids being naked during the mega level was felt alone. How exactly was it not the same show as the original? Just because it had different audio?

Tamers is pretty much the exception that proves the rule.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

As someone who actually co-ran a site about the differences between the dub and original back in the old days of the internet, I can say that's completely false. A lot of stuff was edited out, one thing off the top of my head was a lot of Beelzebumon's gunplay and bullets were removed.

Though specifically, actually yes, sometimes audio is all you need. Inserting stupid comedy music and sound effects like the dub did when Wizarmon dies is all you need to ruin the scene. Audio is half of what makes a television series. Since this also includes dialog, terrible voice acting adding in tons of one liners and jokes when the villain is supposed to be serious but the dub makes them comic relief? Yeah, it does. Leomon's death in Tamers was a joke in the dub. For the record, they never said 'die' or 'killed' in that scene. Only "hurt" or "got him"
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Though specifically, actually yes, sometimes audio is all you need. Inserting stupid comedy music and sound effects like the dub did when Wizarmon dies is all you need to ruin the scene. Audio is half of what makes a television series. Since this also includes dialog, adding in tons of one liners and jokes when the villain is supposed to be serious but the dub makes them comic relief? Yeah, it does.

Can't argue with that one. The 01 and 02 dubs were infamous for their pretty bad humor and music choices. And the editing. Wizardmon's in particular was very bad because I don't think they let him die in 01... but then turns up dead in 02 because well...

BTW, I don't remember well, but wasn't one episode of 01 actually skipped? The one after Etemon's defeated, and Taichi gets back home?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Nothing in Adventures was skipped, just heavily edited and altered.

Sort of like the movie. Technically they have footage of the three original movies there, but it's so altered it's not really accurate to say it's actually there.

Or how Pinocchimon's entire arc was heavily altered and shortened to remove him shooting Takeru with guns and blowing Digimon's brains out with his pistols.
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
What makes these people decide who is and isn't a "fan" in the first place? These people have no real connection to the property itself - they just like it an awful lot, usually to the exclusion of many other things.

If popular portrayals of anime and SF fans are accurate, those "other things" would include dating, sex, and bathing.... LOL!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I went back to last week's post and Mr. Answerman does indeed say that we can e-mail him with questions and comments. But he did not specify if wee can also send him questions and comments through this forum.

of course you can! i read every single comment in the talkbacks - i don't post all that often (considering, i guess, the fact that i read it ALL) because i'd rather not control the flow the conversation about my *own* article, you dig? feel you can send me a PM if you're desperate. i'm also on twitter (just search my name) if you are DESPERATE to insult me at any hour of the day; since that goes straight to my phone, there's no way for me to ignore it!

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
i'm also on twitter (just search my name)...

And now I'm following you. Don't worry, I won't send you insults. Smile
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see a manga that attempts to do what The Sandman did -- have new character design and art style with every volume. It'd probably be a big flop, though Wink.

In general, I've always lamented that there hasn't been a manga equivalent of the Vertigo line. What we get as manga is the novel equivalent of genre fiction -- there's stuff for a certain demographic, with stories that they tend to like, following conventions that they tend to like. When it comes to books though, there's always a section sold under the 'literary fiction' corner that makes it easier for people with different tastes. Vertigo is the comic book equivalent -- I'm not well-versed with comic books, but when I do have money for them I know that it's easy to know where to look.

With manga, it's generally more difficult. I think that in terms of subject matter when it comes to mass produced stuff manga tops comics in variety, but for people who are looking for something similar to Vertigo's titles, it's much harder. I have to rely on word of mouth to get at something like Wandering Son.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12