• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The Long Con

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
I wonder if Sword Art Online has got a bit of that Prometheus thing going on -- at first, everyone is willing to overlook the plot contrivances to create the premise, and the general impression of the show is that it is good. Then one person points out a plothole, and then another person points out another, and then another, until it becomes the show everyone pokes fun at for its plotholes.

When I watched the first episode of SAO, I thought it was pretty good, and I liked the premise. Then I read and listened to Zac pointing out to its many implausibilities. Personally, I am okay with SAO's premise not making a lot of sense because it is anime.

Part of what drew me to anime was the great fantasy and sci-fi it can provide. As an example, I love Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood because it has great characters and a very well told story. And I know that it is implausible for alchemy to destroy a whole city, but I still enjoy and see merits on FMA: B.

If SAO ends up being a crappy story with dumb characters, I would not like it for that reason, not because its premise is implausible. And we will see if those plot holes do indeed kill SAO.

TitanXL wrote:
In Japan they for kids yes, but in America they'd be for adults. Different standards and practices and TV censorship.

Are you saying that in Japan parents are fine with letting their young children watch late night anime?
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna join the people who enjoy Natsuyuki Rendezvous though i still don't particularly like the wannabe-boyfriend spoiler[ i wish the dead husband would really take over his body, that would be a happy ending for me... Twisted Evil] and i also agree about the whole 'getting a cold form sleeping without a blanket and fainting from the fever' thing being a tad bit cliched...but still, a really nice show so far, just hope it won't get too melodramatic.

But Humanity Has Declined is my absolute favourite this season, episode 3 was completely hilarious!
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

Sorry to butt in but I also like Natsuyuki Rendezvous. ^__^

The latest episode (#3) was so good and dramatic! Shimao's jealousy and frustration was illustrated wonderfully without too much dialogue and was actually a bit frighting. I like how Rokka is trying to move on but still has attachments to her husband; just so sweet~

For me Atsushi Shimao's jealousy was also kind of scary. I am really enjoying Natsuyuki Rendezvous' balance of drama, romance, comedy and supernatural. I like it this way, and I hope the supernatural stuff spoiler[does not go beyond small quakes.] I would not want this promising series to turn into crazy, supernatural crap.

Yeah, the last thing I want to see is a Poltergeist type ending. Anime cry

wintersnowgust wrote:
I should make an avatar... I don't know though.
Should I choose a favorite anime character or something snow related. Because, I couldn't live in a place that didn't have snow every and all winter.

Well, there's like a massive amount of anime/manga characters named Yuki (which means snow), or who have "Yuki" in their names, and then you have characters who have ice-powers. Also, you could just choose a snowflake. I think there are some people who use non-anime/manga related images as their avatar. ^__^

Live-action dramas: I watched a few Korean dramas (since Crunchyroll offer a nice selection) but I'll try searching for more classic Japanese movies or shows.

Merida wrote:
I'm gonna join the people who enjoy Natsuyuki Rendezvous though i still don't particularly like the wannabe-boyfriend spoiler[ i wish the dead husband would really take over his body, that would be a happy ending for me... ][...]

But Humanity Has Declined is my absolute favourite this season, episode 3 was completely hilarious!
Is it bad that I'm rooting for Shimao too? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop And yeah, Ep. 3 of Humanity Has Declined was awesome!!! Very Happy
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

When I watched the first episode of SAO, I thought it was pretty good, and I liked the premise. Then I read and listened to Zac pointing out to its many implausibilities. Personally, I am okay with SAO's premise not making a lot of sense because it is anime.

I do wonder what is it about SAO that makes so many people kill their suspension of disbelief. I mean, if you really think about the implausibilities in so many other anime or manga, there's...quite a lot of stuff.

Like, why would anyone want to risk their lives and reputations to build a game just to toy with people? Because he is THE VILLAIN. We know this because he APPEARS IN A VILLAIN CLOAK. How can you build a helmet without engineers and why have only a 10K release? Because it is THE FUTURE.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
Quite honestly I am only giving Sword Art Online a few more episodes because everyone says how good the light novels are (and it is sort of fun to follow a series with a big fandom once in awhile), but after the 1st two episodes my only thought is this comes off a bit generic to me. Maybe it's because I am not into those type of games at all, I don't know.

That being said opinions do differ and well just because Sword Art Online isn't doing much for me doesn't mean it isn't working for other people.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Cheesecracker wrote:

Please explain where it was going before it was "ruined." Does it involve falling into boobs or having to eat lots of really bad food?

It involves exactly what Chagen mentioned, an utterly hilariously bad sex scene.

So the joke was to blindside people by allowing them to stumble into something they may not want to see?

[not]Gotta love the internet.[/not]
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Please, people...SAO is no more/no less implausible than any other syfy show like Eva, Madoka Majika, or Gundam.

And as for those supposed implausiblities everyone likes to point out:
spoiler[•10k only release - nope, it was 10k of the First printing. Just like books, movies, etc. you'd do a print run of a certain number, see how well it does and then print some more if need be. They'd also make their money on monthly fees and/or in game purchases.
•The helmet wasn't created just for SAO. Like the reporter said, "no software has been able to take full advantage of the hardware". So it could play other types of games, maybe even watch movies. It's the Playstation/X-Box of its time.
•Since both the helmet and game were created by the same person, he'd know how to hide things in the game and how to take advantage of the helmets capabilities.
•It takes place in 2022. Aww...the wonders of science.]
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Regarding SAO, I think I am more forgiving then some people, though I see where people are coming from. I didn't really have much of a problem with the first episode not answering everything, because it was the first episode, and it's not like the players are going to know every single detail. Same thing for the second episode, to an extent, but I feel it would have been nice if it had at least acknowledged the questions.

That is to say, I don't need to see a scene of the characters in a hospital being taken care of on IVs, or hear some government report explaining how their attempts to hack into the game has failed, and they can't let the batteries in the NerveGear die because they are set up to kill the players if they are on batteries too long, and they can't destroy the emitters because of reason X, and they've failed to either capture the creator or have captured him but have failed to get enough information out of him, etc, etc. Of course the players aren't going to know such things yet anyways.

But they can wonder/speculate. It would have been nice to see a scene of the player commenting on how he's still surprised that the government hasn't found a way to free them, or a scene of another player wondering what's happening to their bodies on the outside world and commenting that someone must be taking care of them all. I guess the point is the show doesn't have to give all the answers right at the start, but it needs to give the impression that there actually are answers. And I felt the second episode should have done that more. As I said, I'm willing to forgive it, and I know from what I've read about the Light Novels that there are indeed answers, but I still feel the anime at least could have done a somewhat better job of it.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Cheesecracker wrote:

Please explain where it was going before it was "ruined." Does it involve falling into boobs or having to eat lots of really bad food?

It involves exactly what Chagen mentioned, an utterly hilariously bad sex scene.

But if you just want the true nugget, here you go SPOILERS BY THE WAY

Happy Glopping!

Ow, I'm actually reading the said chapter right now and it's PAINFUL. Good god, this guy SUCKS at writing, either that or the translator screwed up badly.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Also, I agree with Zac more than Bamboo on Humanity is Declined. I didn't feel it was preachy at all, just cynical. It wasn't all "oh processed foods are horrible, you should be all all natural etc" but more "processed foods are unpleasant, but try farming naturally and you'll all die of starvation." It was just cynical about everything, rather than preachy, at least to me.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Cheesecracker wrote:

But if you just want the true nugget, here you go SPOILERS BY THE WAY

Happy Glopping!

Ow, I'm actually reading the said chapter right now and it's PAINFUL. Good god, this guy SUCKS at writing, either that or the translator screwed up badly.

It's erotica, that is one of the hardest things to write " no pun intended lol" It's not really painful for me just lulz worthy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

It's erotica, that is one of the hardest things to write " no pun intended lol" It's not really painful for me just lulz worthy

The sex scenes in the Fate/Stay Night visual novel come to mind. Honestly, after those, the SAO bonus chapter seemed positively genius.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Yup.

I always loved seeing that commercial show up on DVDs of Sunday morning or Primetime children's anime like Angelic Layer or Kaleidostar. I thought anime was "not kid's stuff", ADV. Rolling Eyes

In Japan they for kids yes, but in America they'd be for adults. Different standards and practices and TV censorship.

Those are kids shows wherever they go. The kids I babysat loved them. (So did my family, who are really hard to find anime for because they're super-religious.)
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I can't find the sex scene. All I see are Fencedude's tweets about KoiChoco and Nakaimo.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:

So the joke was to blindside people by allowing them to stumble into something they may not want to see?

No. Please explain how anyone was blindsided by anything.

dandelion_rose wrote:
I can't find the sex scene. All I see are Fencedude's tweets about KoiChoco and Nakaimo.

He didn't link to a translation of the entire chapter or scene. The link Fencedude provided should go directly to a picture with the line from the novels that he was referring to. If you're not seeing the picture.... I"m not sure what's going on. Maybe you need a twitter account to actually see it? If not, then I don't know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10