• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The Long Con

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
However that 'chapter' doesn't appear in the printed version of SAO, as explained on baka-tsuki forum;
BeginnerXP|BakaTsuki wrote:
The chapter 16.5 doesn't exist in the printed version, it was a special chapter the author wrote and hid from public view on his personal website, but it got widespread on the internet due to its content. So to follow the original (printed version), the volume shouldn't include the 16.5.
superdry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

And these "U.S. people" you mention, do they even know what anime is to even give a crap about it?

I think he's talking about US anime fans, not general populace.

Blanchimont wrote:
However that 'chapter' doesn't appear in the printed version of SAO, as explained on baka-tsuki forum;
The chapter 16.5 doesn't exist in the printed version, it was a special chapter the author wrote and hid from public view on his personal website, but it got widespread on the internet due to its content. So to follow the original (printed version), the volume shouldn't include the 16.5.

Maybe the author shouldn't have put it up on his website - someone was bound to find it at some point. Oh well.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
It might be just me, but Fullmetal Alchemist has stuff that kids would not easily digest. Not to mention giant boobs in One Piece. I am not a Puritan, but if I had kids, I would not let them watch anime (even if it was shounen) before their 13th or 14th birthday.

Just different standards between America and Japan. That stuff is kiddy fare in Japan. Boobs aren't a big deal because of the tradition of bathing with your family and public bathhouses, for example.

Quote:
And these "U.S. people" you mention, do they even know what anime is to even give a crap about it?

I mean those "Grr, 4Kids licenses adult anime like One Piece and ruins it" people. They should really say "Grr, 4Kids licenses kids anime like One Piece and ruins it" But American consider those shows 'adult' due to their content.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

It might be just me, but Fullmetal Alchemist has stuff that kids would not easily digest. Not to mention giant boobs in One Piece. I am not a Puritan, but if I had kids, I would not let them watch anime (even if it was shounen) before their 13th or 14th birthday.

Yeah, that is rather Puritan to me, though my standards may be different because I live in Asia.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Zac needs to watch Polar Bear Cafe.

DOOOOOOOO EEEEEEEEEEEEET

I'd rather also at least hear Zac's opinion about Muv Luv after they reach the death portion at least.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Yeah, that is rather Puritan to me, though my standards may be different because I live in Asia.

As someone who was 14 years old not so long ago, I can say kids are well aware of the existence of breasts at that point, hell they are aware of them in Elementary school. Women having large breasts and parading around in bikinis is not the top of my disqualification list, actual sexual content or treating the women as only sex dolls most certainly is though.

But when they are fully developed characters who can still kick ass and don't actually flash the camera, like the women of One Piece, I have no real problem with it.

Then again I was the kid who watched Seinfeld and Friends with my parents, with the sex jokes just going over my head.

As for the content of Fullmetal Alchemist? All kids are different, but they tend to comprehend a lot more then adults expect of them, they might not get all the subtleties, but they can get a lot of the context. In fact Fullmetal is my sister's favourite Shonen series of all time and she got into it when she was 12.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I think he's talking about US anime fans, not general populace.

Blanchimont wrote:

Maybe the author shouldn't have put it up on his website - someone was bound to find it at some point. Oh well.

makes me think of r7 that writes for 7th expansion having up some troll or hidden writings for higurashi, umineko, higanbana... that made it out in fan disc/ova's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Sword Art Online is about the only show this season that has drawn any interest from me at all. As far as the limited release goes, that could easily be considered a special preview release used to create a buzz for the game. The intention would be to release only a limited number of initial copies but to follow it with an unlimited number of regular copies. It's not that different from what Apple and others have done.

Or it may be that they only have enough computer and supply resources for 10,000 initial users with plans for the funds from those sales to back further production. And you've also got to consider that the programmer was insane and wouldn't care about how much money he lost.

We haven't yet seen enough of the outside world to know what's going on. There could be efforts being made to shut down the system. And game time doesn't necessarily match real time, otherwise many of the players would die of starvation.

I could understand a player wanting to play the game even though an exit was left out of the manual. There would be an assumption that some sort of safeguard was in place.

But there's always some sort of suspension of belief needed for any show. How many cop shows have people running around shooting at each other? Most real live police never draw their guns outside the shooting range. And would a writer or any other civilian (other than a private detective) ever really be allowed to investigate crimes?

Or maybe a show about a panda running a shop is considered more plausible. Bamboo should be getting money from the producers of Polar Bear Cafe for her promotion of the show. Pandas like Bamboo and Bamboo likes panda.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:

As someone who was 14 years old not so long ago, I can say kids are well aware of the existence of breasts at that point, hell they are aware of them in Elementary school. Women having large breasts and parading around in bikinis is not the top of my disqualification list, actual sexual content or treating the women as only sex dolls most certainly is though.

Yeah I was wondering if angelmcazares's view reflected the general populace. On the one hand, you do grow more conservative as you grow older, but your view is closer to my view as an adult, and I'm well into the age to settle down with a family and has worked as a teacher, so I hardly think I'm a very liberal hippie either.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:

I could understand a player wanting to play the game even though an exit was left out of the manual. There would be an assumption that some sort of safeguard was in place.

This is what happens when you don't pay attention to what the show is telling you.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

If you have teenagers, and they're not put off by something their parents are into, the kind of lockdown on their life necessary to shield them from the horrors of whatever horrifies you would probably be borderline abuse, unless of course you homeschool them and/or take up residence in a religious commune or some such isolated place. This of course would also inhibit your own consumption of anime, but parenthood is all about sacrifices.

/cynicism

It would be enough to bring on considerable resentment anyway, and probably just make the taboo thing all the more desirable. If your offspring are motivated, it's nigh on impossible to control information in the information age. You'll wish junior drew the line at One Piece when you walk in on Bible Black! Wink
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
TitanXl wrote:
Just different standards between America and Japan. That stuff is kiddy fare in Japan. Boobs aren't a big deal because of the tradition of bathing with your family and public bathhouses, for example.

I don't think that this is a fully tenable assertion. If boobs weren't a big deal, then they wouldn't be on mousepads and nobody would have even bothered to come up with Qwaser of the Stigmata. What you're saying might have been true historically, but it's fairly clear that the Japanese have to a significant extent internalized western sexualization of breasts and taboo pretty reliably follows sexualization.

dandelion_rose wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:

Yeah I was wondering if angelmcazares's view reflected the general populace. On the one hand, you do grow more conservative as you grow older, but your view is closer to my view as an adult, and I'm well into the age to settle down with a family and has worked as a teacher, so I hardly think I'm a very liberal hippie either.

It's a curious feature of American culture. It's more of a generic middle-class value than a religious one. My parents were quite liberal in their opinions. My father was something of a hippy; I say, "something of," because even though he protested 'Nam and smoked some weed, he has always been a little traditionalist, (for example: he insisted on a Church wedding, even though he's been somewhat anti-religious at times and my mother would've been happy with a quick, civil proceeding) and my mother is a lapsed Catholic but both were sometimes very uptight about my being exposed to certain 'naughty' things when I, "wasn't ready for them yet." It's all a sham from our perspectives, of course, because we indeed known about swearing and *achem* secondary sexual characteristics. A lot of what it does is just make us more eager to eat of the forbidden fruits. Hell, part of the reason I'm here is because the Sci-Fi Channel put content advisory bumpers on their airing of Project A-ko.

I don't know what I'd do if I had children, so far the universe has shown the good sense not to let that happen, but while I would ideally not to be too restrictive, I must admit to having some of my father's idiosyncratic traditionalism (I haven't believed in God since I was fourteen, but I still see the allure of a church wedding). Of course, there's always the Patton Oswalt argument for being a restrictive parent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:

On the one hand, you do grow more conservative as you grow older,

I have a feeling that as the general populace becomes more liberal-leaning, that this ages-old trend may actually stop.

I certainly couldn't see myself as conservative no matter how old I was.

As a slightly related note, I also think the trend that older people are usually out-of-touch with newer technology will decrease as time goes on, much like how conservatism will decrease, simply due to the fact that people will have been exposed to new technology all their lives and find the progress of it natural.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:

On the one hand, you do grow more conservative as you grow older,

That depends on what aspects of you become more conservative (if you even get more conservative as you get older or maybe get more liberal). Socially I've become more liberal as I've become older (decriminalization of illicit drugs, legalization of prostitution, legalization of gambling, universal healthcare, gay marriage, etc). On the other hand I've become more conservative with things regarding money (commodity backed economy, making our military smaller but just as effective, not giving money to poor nations, etc).

So basically it all depends on the person.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:

Perhaps big boobs in anime was a bad example. I am aware that children are taught sexual education since middle school. They will probably not be shocked by Nami's breasts. But like someone mentioned here, sexually objectifying women is a bad thing, and the objectification of women or men is not something I would want children to see.

I am not trying to sound ultra conservative (I am not), but I am getting the feeling that an argument is being made that anime can be enjoyed by children. I know that shounen stuff is more about action and adventure, and does not have "heavy" themes, but, as an example, if you show a child Naruto, he or she is going to wonder why ninjas are trying to kill each other.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. And I might sound like the horrible Rick Santorum, but for me anime is best enjoyed when you understand what the heck is going on. At 10 years old most children would not understand why Suzaku Kururugi killed his best friend (I know this is an extreme example, but this happens in anime).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10