• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
End of evangelion explanation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:31 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:

(This suggests, to me at least, that Kaworu was created by SEELE as Ayanami was created by Nerv)

Except, as I have already stated, the Red Cross Book states that Kawouru was capture by SEELE in embryonic form. (I'm not sure if you know what the RCB is, it was handed out at the Japanese premier of EoE and is cannon and the offical word of Gainax) I believe that what Kawouru means is that he is an angel in the form of man, and Rei is Yui's DNA, but actually Lillith in the form of man. It has nothing to do with them being engineered or not engineered. Especially evidenced by your later quote of "However, his resurrected body already exists within Ikari". The Adam embryo implanted within Gendo's hand, so that Gendo, while still human, is alsp now partly an angel with human form.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
I agree with a great deal of what you said, except for basically one thing. While it is most likely true that Gendo was on the same side as Yui and Fuyutski to begin with, I'm not certain that he completely was once Yui remained in the Eva. Several attempts are made to rescue her after that occurs.

I think the fact that Yui ended up in Evangelion so soon was an accident. In the television series we also hear Akagi's mother saying that Yui was absorbed by Evangelion just as I had hoped she would be, which could mean that she set the accident up to get it on with Gendo.

Kazuki-san wrote:
Also, in EoE, there is the scene where Yui talks to Gendo during Third Impact and, in retribution for his sins, is "eaten" by Eva 01. Whether this is to show that he is merely not allowed to be with Yui, or is completely excluded from Instrumentality and therefore destroyed is unclear.

Here is the script of that part:

SCENE: Gendo lying on floor in Terminal Dogma

Gendo:
I've been waiting for this moment for so long... To finally be with you again, Yui.
When I'm with Shinji, I only hurt him. So, it's better that I do nothing.

Yui:
So, you were afraid of Shinji.

Gendo:
I don't believe that I can be loved by others... I'm not worthy of love.

Kaworu:
You're just running away. You simply reject the world before you get hurt.

Yui:
Afraid of the shapeless, invisible things between people...

Rei:
You just closed your heart to others.

Gendo:
So, this is my retribution. Forgive me... Shinji.

(Demon-like EVA-01 bites Gendo in half... Rei II picks up Gendo's fallen glasses. The three clones of Rei stand together.)

First of all let me say this is part of Gendo's AT-field elimination scene so it is entirely possible that it just showes what he wishes. He is sorry that he treated his son the way he did and as punishment is bitten in half by EVA01. All the other characters whitness something similar before their bodies disolve into LCL. So it is just possibly a vision shown to Gendo by reaper Rei before collecting his soul.

In the end I doubt Gendo ended up in EVA01 since then he prolly would have come to say goodbye to Shinji togeather with Yui. His fate however remains unknown.

Kazuki-san wrote:
That's the beauty of Eva though, especially those that accuse it of having shoddy writing. The way the story is woven together, 100 people can look at it and come up with 100 perfectly plausible explanations, which after watching it 100 times, could never actually be proven.

I disagree, anyone can with little effort write a plot so ambiguous that no one can ever be sure what it meant. What does take a lot of hard word is writing a script like the one in Boogiepop Phantom, which at first sight seems impossible to figure out but with a little hard work and repeated viewings can be understood fully.

Evangelion was written on go which is prolly why it ended up so ambiguous but in something like Boogiepop you will have to decide on every single minute detail before you start to write even the first episode. Besides I never liked Evangelion for its confusing abigious storyline anyway I always enjoyed the top notch animation and unbelievable detailed design. You don’t see a series like Evangelion with such attention to detail in design and animation anymore, which is why I keep watching it again and again, and never grow tired of it.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Except, as I have already stated, the Red Cross Book states that Kawouru was capture by SEELE in embryonic form. (I'm not sure if you know what the RCB is, it was handed out at the Japanese premier of EoE and is cannon and the offical word of Gainax)

II know of the Red Cross Book and I am not sure how official it exactly is. Meaning I don't know if the people making EoE actually wrote it or someone else did. I do remember someone once saying that it wasn’t but I can’t remember who so the doubt remains in my mind. But even if it was a 100% it still just says "Perhaps he was an Angel which was captured by SEELE at his embryo stage.". And what about the quote from SEELE saying that Kaworu's soul was the salvaged soul of Adam?

But lets not beat this dead horse anymore and just agree to disagree on this one point, as it cannot be thoroughly proven. I need to sleep, it is 6am here now and I was so close to getting my sleep rhythm back to normal.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:10 am Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:

I think the fact that Yui ended up in Evangelion so soon was an accident. In the television series we also hear Akagi's mother saying that Yui was absorbed by Evangelion just as I had hoped she would be, which could mean that she set the accident up to get it on with Gendo.

Actually there is a scene that explains this in one of the many versions of Death & Rebirth. Fuyutski and Yui talk of her decision to become a test subject. SEELE had gotten wind that she was working against them, and was planning on having her assasinated. Of course, this merely influenced the timing of her joining with Eva 1, because it was her plan from the beginning to do so.

As for the RCB, I'm not certain if Gainax wrote it, but I do know that they approved it as being accurate and official.

And, on the writing, it is in fact very well planned out. Characters reveal secrets that, at the time you hear them, don't appear to be. In fact, if you watch the OP sequence frame by frame, you will see every important aspect of the story laid out in front of you. The most notable being a sketch of Kawouru and a picture of Rei followed immediately by the word "Angels"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4