• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sex of ANN Users

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Is Your Sex
Female
30%
 30%  [ 66 ]
Male
66%
 66%  [ 145 ]
Other
3%
 3%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 218

egoist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I use avatars of what I like to look at.

But I'm really a 15 year old girl so it fits me really well!
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
My avatars are always chibi and mascot characters. So I guess my sex and age are always quite ambiguous if you were to identify me by my avatars.
manicli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I was tempted to pick other just for laughs.

Sorry if I offended anyone.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
manicli wrote:

How DARE you! *slaps your face*
manicli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
manicli wrote:

How DARE you! *slaps your face*

Ouch my face
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
Females: 21
Males: 51

So, from the current statistics, the males outnumber the females 2.5 to 1.*

I guess you can say...

*puts on sunglasses*

..that those who voted male are Two and a Half men.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*I know, I know, my math was wrong. It's actually ~2.4 to 1. I just wanted to tell this very bad joke.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I am actually surprised that there are so many females, I feel like I may have done something embarrassing with talking about certain shows. By the way I am a male but will often use female character avatars for no real reason.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I was actually surprised there weren't more females. I've never really thought of these forums as especially gendered one way or the other... though now that I think about it, most of the users I recognize are male. Confused
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Wow, I am actually surprised that there are so many females, I feel like I may have done something embarrassing with talking about certain shows. By the way I am a male but will often use female character avatars for no real reason.

Don't worry, I'll always remember you as that perverted guy from that forum.
The Lost Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:05 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
born2die wrote:
How is it that there are more males? Makes no sense at all.
Do keep in mind that this is a voluntary poll so you're only getting responses from people who: A.) Participate in the forum*; and B.) Care to answer polls, or this particular poll. I'm not saying this would or wouldn't change the ratio significantly but there is self-selection bias happening.

Alan45 wrote:
One of the first things I learned in this forum was that there was no relationship between sex and either avatar or user name. It was difficult, some guys have really sexy avatars.
I actually tend to assume that when someone uses a "sexy" avatar they're probably** the opposite sex.

*A lot of people just use the site for news/info and never make a single post so it kind of depends on what is meant by "ANN users."

**Just a casual observation-- not trying not to be all heteronormative about it.

What do you do when its a sexy avatar that belongs to a woman that want to portray that they are sexy? What do you do when I guy has an avatar that is moe and not sexy? What do you do when a guy has nothing but romance themed avatars like myself, when the cultural sterotype is that romance is for women?

People have so many different motivations that make it really hard to discern gender from a preference, even if you tried. I could change my pic to a burley manly man and people could guess:
1. Gay guy
2. Body Builder (likely guy)
3. Woman into manly men
4. Woman making a joke portraying herself as a guy
5. Man making a joke at portraying himself as built
6. Transgender

You have a 50% chance of being right.

Instead of doing this, you can look at the poll, and guess that most posters are male, you have a 66% chance of being right. If you're wrong they might get offended (not sure why, what's wrong with being percieved incorrectly as a woman/man on the internet?), but you'll learn and move on.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:31 am Reply with quote
Am I weird for being female and using female avatars then?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:36 am Reply with quote
@ st owly
Not at all. The only thing you can assume from someone's avatar is that it was chosen deliberately since the use of avatars is optional. Why they chose a specific picture or photo is going to vary from person to person.

For some it will just be because it is a pretty picture, for others it has deep symbolic meaning. If the poster doesn't tell you why there is no way to know.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Am I weird for being female and using female avatars then?
I think you're within the norm. It seems like the avatars that women use are either hansome/cute guys or pretty/cute girls. This shows a tendency of female's choice of avatars having simply an appearance motivation (from the user's POV). Guys' motivation toward what avatar they choose tends to be more sexually motivated, which is why so many guys use female avatars (ie this character is sexy, I like looking at her when I use the forums). There's no written expectation that your avatar is intended to reflect your own appearance in some way. Even if a guy (straight) uses a muscular or heroic looking guy as an avatar there may be a sexual motivation for that, like he is telling the world (most likely girls in the forum) this is me, or who I like to present myself as.

I use mascot characters exclusively which tend to be gender ambiguous, because it's something I started a long time ago and I seem to be one of the only one's on ANN who consistently does. And I guess I kinda want to be recognized as the user "that always uses mascots as avatars." But I do like them anyway. It also reflects a bit on my gender ambiguous self.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
This thread would be more interesting if it was "Sex with ANN Users." Jes' sayin'.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Guys' motivation toward what avatar they choose tends to be more sexually motivated, which is why so many guys use female avatars (ie this character is sexy, I like looking at her when I use the forums). There's no written expectation that your avatar is intended to reflect your own appearance in some way.
To be honest, girls often do this too (hence the "handsome guys"/bishonen you mentioned). Lord knows if I were my avatar I wouldn't leave the house... because I'd be staring in the mirror all day. Yeah.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8