• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sex of ANN Users

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Is Your Sex
Female
30%
 30%  [ 66 ]
Male
66%
 66%  [ 145 ]
Other
3%
 3%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 218

Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
It only seems like there are just as many females on the internet because a lot of males pretend to be female, whether intentionally or not. For several years at the first forum I mainly frequented, people assumed I was female because I always used female avatars and I had an ambiguous username.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote
I figured you were male when you mentioned beer, chicken wings, and laziness, in the same sentence.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
Three of my favorite things! Laughing
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
Mine as well... But I'm female Razz
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:37 am Reply with quote
How could anyone named Sailor S not have everyone automatically assume you are female? Shocked

I think this forum actually has more females, according to the poll results, than I'd expect it to. But that's because I know many anime oriented forums with lots of young users (teen, preteen majorities) are more like 80-90% male (I try to avoid those).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
One of the first things I learned in this forum was that there was no relationship between sex and either avatar or user name. It was difficult, some guys have really sexy avatars. About the only way to tell is when someone flat out states what they are (or wish to be seen as). With Egoist even that is subject to change without notice. Laughing

I'm male, but I don't like either chicken wings or beer. Laziness does have it's attractions though.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
Well, maybe I should use this thread to make it clear that I'm a 23 year old girl...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
@ egoist

Have you decided yet what you will be next week? By the way, I like the new avatar. It is cheerful, the last one seemed a bit depressed.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
I meant to change it earlier, but I was too lazy.

Next week I wanna be the same age and gender as Blood-.
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
born2die wrote:
How is it that there are more males? Makes no sense at all.
Do keep in mind that this is a voluntary poll so you're only getting responses from people who: A.) Participate in the forum*; and B.) Care to answer polls, or this particular poll. I'm not saying this would or wouldn't change the ratio significantly but there is self-selection bias happening.

Alan45 wrote:
One of the first things I learned in this forum was that there was no relationship between sex and either avatar or user name. It was difficult, some guys have really sexy avatars.
I actually tend to assume that when someone uses a "sexy" avatar they're probably** the opposite sex.

*A lot of people just use the site for news/info and never make a single post so it kind of depends on what is meant by "ANN users."

**Just a casual observation-- not trying not to be all heteronormative about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Masakaki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
[edit]

Last edited by Masakaki on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:29 am; edited 5 times in total
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Masakaki wrote:
Also, can you teach me how to change my age and gender too? Shocked

First you need to become a gender chameleon.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Masakaki wrote:
Question not related to anime: why so many dudes like to pretend that they're female on forums? I really don't get that...
I think its a natural and unavoidable (not that it's bad) effect of the internet. We communicate with each other in a format that separates our physical form from our personalities. Even talking on the phone or writing a letter to someone, to some extent, conveys our physical identities to who we are communicating with.

A forum community, whereby we only see each other by what people type and an avatar that is only limited by the imagination, liberates humans from the bias of gender roles and expectations, as well as that of age, race, disability and other attributes.

So in short people "pretend" they are the opposite sex because they can and because there are various benefits and incentives to do so because of the reasons stated above.

I put pretend in quotes because I don't think of it as pretend at all. Often I find that in real-world situations when dealing with people face-to-face, that is where the pretense and deception exists. Past in the online world is the real me.

I swear to Maude, I wasn't one of the people who picked "other"
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
I actually tend to assume that when someone uses a "sexy" avatar they're probably** the opposite sex.

I must confess that that idea never occurred to me -- I must remember to keep it in mind in the future whenever perusing these fora.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I actually am a 23 year old girl. I'm still surprised I'm that much in the minority. Avatars are deceiving, you cannot tell if someone used a photo because s/he liked the show, liked the character's physical appearance, liked the look on his/her face or wanted it to look like him/herself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8