Forum - View topic
The X Button - Cross Counter




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TheZeonicFront



Joined: 20 Apr 2010
Posts: 122

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Any NTR Scenario's in the Growlancer games?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vaisaga



Joined: 07 Oct 2011
Posts: 5978
Location: Windsor Ontario

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it's already been a year since Legends 3 was cancelled? Where does the time go...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
AiddonValentine



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 572

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
A year since Inafune left his men out to dry because he decided it was a good time to have a midlife crisis. What a prick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sailorneorune



Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Posts: 93

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
And it's been over a year since Capcom stopped giving a shit about Ace Attorney, since we're keeping score. Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
casualfan



Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 209

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Aside from Cashcom's greed, another thing that ruins SFxT for me was the storyline. You have all these characters with their own personalities and goals, and they decided to just make them all search for a box? And it's not even explained what or where the Pandora is from. I prefer stories like, Bison taking out the Mishimas to get the devil genes, or Balrog fights Steve Fox to determine who's the best boxer, something where each character fights for their own unique motives. The pandora story just feels so lazy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jedi Master



Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 372

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Looking back at the original North American box art for Mega Man, why are we surprised that Capcom still doesn't get it?

casualfan wrote:
The pandora story just feels so lazy.


Don't all the X vs. Y games have lazy stories?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
casualfan



Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 209

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
Looking back at the original North American box art for Mega Man, why are we surprised that Capcom still doesn't get it?

casualfan wrote:
The pandora story just feels so lazy.


Don't all the X vs. Y games have lazy stories?


Majority of the fighting game community might not care, but lazy story is one of the reasons why fighting games could never compete with the industry's top dogs. I'd say it's a trend that needs to be stopped.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chagen46



Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 4222

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
casualfan wrote:
Jedi Master wrote:
Looking back at the original North American box art for Mega Man, why are we surprised that Capcom still doesn't get it?

casualfan wrote:
The pandora story just feels so lazy.


Don't all the X vs. Y games have lazy stories?


Majority of the fighting game community might not care, but lazy story is one of the reasons why fighting games could never compete with the industry's top dogs. I'd say it's a trend that needs to be stopped.


Thankfully, Blazblue, Guilty Gear, and Persona 4 Arena are fighting that trend...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
casualfan



Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 209

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
casualfan wrote:
Jedi Master wrote:
Looking back at the original North American box art for Mega Man, why are we surprised that Capcom still doesn't get it?

casualfan wrote:
The pandora story just feels so lazy.


Don't all the X vs. Y games have lazy stories?


Majority of the fighting game community might not care, but lazy story is one of the reasons why fighting games could never compete with the industry's top dogs. I'd say it's a trend that needs to be stopped.


Thankfully, Blazblue, Guilty Gear, and Persona 4 Arena are fighting that trend...


Also Netherealm with the latest Mortal Kombat.

Persona 4 Arena looks like it will have a great story campaign mode. Can't wait to play it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
belvadeer



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Posts: 2036

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:19 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to see this X Button chock full of RPGs.

Quote:
More importantly, this was one of those happy games, full of speeder bikes and big eyes and general anime nonsense.


Way too much generalizing there Todd.

Bravely Default: Funny how Square attempts to change it up but still can't avoid mentioning crystal in a new project, haha. In any case, this game looks good. I think I need to consider investing in a 3DS.

Tokitowa: The little dragon will be the true hero of this game. He is what will sell copies! Not booberific babes, for god's sake. -_-

Interview: Wow, you think with what a Wild Arms fan I am, I would have known that. I hope the guy works on an original RPG or heck, go back and help with the next Wild Arms (if there even is a WA6 planned). That last part though, I think Ono has a man-crush on Blanka, not that I blame him. XD

Grownlanser: The plot summary you typed out there is essentially Agarest War 2's main story, though I am aware Grownlanser came first. I missed out on what was a great series before, in addition to its predecessor.

KH 3D: I know people want to play this, despite the screaming for KH3, but I am annoyed that I see nothing but Japanese voice worshipping on the message boards for the series since Birth by Sleep. Okay, so Terra and Aqua sounded a bit disappointing in the dub. We get it. Stop whining for dual audio though because it isn't happening. And do you seriously want to hear Tron Legacy in Japanese? It's terrible.

P3 ODW: I purchased the Japanese text one a while back at AX 2009. Wonderful item. I always had wondered about the female protagonist sketch concepts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Issac Sarrowtail



Joined: 16 May 2011
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only guy on the planet that wasn't looking forward to Megaman Legends 3? I mean really, all I wanted was a new ZX game... is that so hard?

sailorneorune wrote:
And it's been over a year since Capcom stopped giving a shit about Ace Attorney, since we're keeping score. Mad


Last that I checked, Prof, Layton V.s. Phoenix Wright is still on. The project is black but I have yet to think that Capcom has quit the project.

casualfan wrote:

Majority of the fighting game community might not care, but lazy story is one of the reasons why fighting games could never compete with the industry's top dogs. I'd say it's a trend that needs to be stopped.


There are really two extremes with Fighting games and stories found within... the Excuse Plot, which has no purpose other than to get people fighting with little to no back story. And the incomprehensible plot... A storyline and back story so massive that just to play you are forced to ignore it (at least for a while).

What there needs to be is a middle ground. And frankly there hasn't been one since the birth of this genre.

Chagen46 wrote:

Thankfully, Blazblue, Guilty Gear, and Persona 4 Arena are fighting that trend...
Not really, BlazBlue and, especially, Guilty Gear take the other extreme (see incomprehensible plot). With P4A, Arc System Works kind of lucked out... the story was something that they didn't handle, that was Atlus. And Persona 4 is fairly straight forward by the end of the game.


casualfan wrote:

Also Netherealm with the latest Mortal Kombat.
Ok, MK is weird... a first glance I would agree with you, but playing it, looking at all the story elements, Mortal Kombat 9 falls into the latter (see incomprehensible plot). But that isn't to say that it's not really good, the one thing that you can say about MK's story mode is that it's a really good snapshot of the series. It's equal parts funny and serious, if unintentionally so. It was nice to have Netherealm simple embrace the crazy creation that is Mortal Kombat for all angles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4034

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
sailorneorune wrote:
And it's been over a year since Capcom stopped giving a shit about Ace Attorney, since we're keeping score. Mad


Huh? Gyakuten Saiban 5 and Professor Layton VS Gyakuten Saiban are in development. That's two games they're developing.

casualfan wrote:
Majority of the fighting game community might not care, but lazy story is one of the reasons why fighting games could never compete with the industry's top dogs. I'd say it's a trend that needs to be stopped.


What 'top dogs'? CoD has a terrible story but is still a 'top dog'. People play these games for multiplayer, it's just CoD multiplayer doesn't require as much finesse or skill and is more instant gratification, so fighting games are not as accessible or popular as CoD or similar shooters with westerners.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chagen46



Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 4222

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Blazblue's story is no where near incomprehensible. About the most annoying thing about is that it relies supplementary material like the Light novels A LOT. But BB is remarkably good at explaining its world and plot.

Quote:
What 'top dogs'? CoD has a terrible story but is still a 'top dog'. People play these games for multiplayer, it's just CoD multiplayer doesn't require as much finesse or skill and is more instant gratification, so fighting games are not as accessible or popular as CoD or similar shooters with westerners.


Okay, now you're just making sh*t up.

When an FPS's multiplayer is balanced (which COD's isn't, I'll concede), it can be an incredibly satisfying and tactical experience (assuming you're playing with people who have brains) that takes a lot of skill to play correctly. Everytime I play FPS's with my friend, he always wins, because he's simply that much more skilled than me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Issac Sarrowtail



Joined: 16 May 2011
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:22 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Blazblue's story is no where near incomprehensible. About the most annoying thing about is that it relies supplementary material like the Light novels A LOT. But BB is remarkably good at explaining its world and plot.


It's the same problem that Guilty Gear has... that simple to explain all the details of it's world and it's characters, it needs supplementary material. The good thing that BlazBlue corrects is it is not nearly as complex, since they are trying desperately to keep TIME away as a story element (save in the case of Hakumen, which they have been rather conservative about) which will complicate things. That, however, is slowly changing with the passing of time since the story is not quite a straight forward as it seems... and is getting more complex as a result. That said, it's not insurmountable amounts of information yet, which is much more than I can say about my beloved Guilty Gear past-GGX.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group